PDA

View Full Version : Wings 0.97

KayosIII
08-14-2002, 03:42 AM
Has been released including support for lights.

http://www.wings3d.com for more details.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the windows binaries are self standing.... No longer do you need to download the 20MB erlang disto to run it.

Array
08-14-2002, 07:10 AM
finally!! ive been wanting a standalone windows bin for some time :) when you say light support, do you mean the lights export RIB?

Array
08-14-2002, 07:29 AM
hmmmm....where do i report bugs? mine crashes when i move a light :(

KayosIII
08-14-2002, 09:09 AM
Use this forum.....
http://pub33.ezboard.com/fnendowingsmiraifrm1

KayosIII
08-16-2002, 01:08 PM
Oh yeah I updated the Povray export script for Wings3d today... Fixed a few more bugs... (One remaining). If you would like to test it go here
http://www.midcoast.com.au/~rgcoy/hobbies/wings.html

Also Linux Binaries are available here.... (Sorry you still have to download the Full Erlang)
http://www.waldosworld.org/linux

G Nilsson
08-16-2002, 03:25 PM
i just tried the app and it seems quite nice..
but i wonder if there are any workflow tips, i dont want to go into a context sensitive menu for every action i do, right now i get a lot better flow in maya... what did i miss?
also is there something like mayas split poly tool?
ive only tried the app out for a little while, so i have probaby missed a lot.
/G

Tottebias
08-16-2002, 04:51 PM
Since my last post disappeared I'll ask again. Can you work with sub-d cages in wings? You know, tweaking low poly to defince the highpoly model.

Hookflash
08-17-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Tottebias
Since my last post disappeared I'll ask again. Can you work with sub-d cages in wings? You know, tweaking low poly to defince the highpoly model.

I asked this very same question on the Wings3d forum, and the answer I got was "No". I don't know whether Bjorn even plans on implementing this feature, but, imo, it's kinda necessary if you want to do lots of subd modelling.

xzevlin
08-17-2002, 02:26 AM
I think Bjorn has said that it won't be in 1.0, but lots of people have been asking him for it, so maybe we'll get lucky. I think it would speed things up a bit, modeling wise, but the shift+tab preview isn't that bad.

KayosIII
08-17-2002, 07:17 AM
also is there something like mayas split poly tool?

Yup check out Clacos's Draw loop plugin... Check the forum link above....

Can you work with sub-d cages in wings? You know, tweaking low poly to defince the highpoly model.

Not exactly.... You can work on a low poly model then press SHIFT + TAB to see what it looks like smooth.... This gets you most of the way there....

but i wonder if there are any workflow tips, i dont want to go into a context sensitive menu for every action i do, right now i get a lot better flow in maya... what did i miss?

There are a few little things 'd' is for repeat last action which is 'g' in maya.... And you can bind any action to a key combo by putting the mouse on the option, pressing insert then pressing the key combo you want....

WarlockXKZ
08-17-2002, 07:39 AM
I like Wings 3d interface (looks like nendo), but the menus are a little slow.
Other feature I think should be done it's the possibility to assign hotkeys for some operations. For example, is there a hotkey for moving vertex/edges/poly ? Cause I'm having a bit of trouble moving stuff accessing the menu all the time and I'm used to press hotkeys for this kind of feature.

KayosIII
08-17-2002, 07:44 AM
Yup... Like I said before you can assign any menu Item to hot key ... Go to Help -> assigning hot keys in the main Wings menu.... This feature made wings usable to me....

WarlockXKZ
08-17-2002, 08:14 AM
I completely missed out this little option, my fault :hmm:, thanks for your help.

Now I'm wondering if it has an axis oriented move/scale, the kind you click on the axis and it moves in that direction, or I have to assign hotkeys for all the 3 axis.

KayosIII
08-17-2002, 12:11 PM
The later.... (I would prefer the former but it is not done).

Try tweak mode if you are doing model shaping. pressing '1' in this mode will give you magnets that you can push and pull your model with. Its kinda cool.

The best things about wings is the ability to pick out 'edge loops' -> 'l' key and 'edge rings' -> 'g'

My key assignments look a bit like this

move select 'edge ring' to ';'
move 'reset view' to '/'
move 'aim at' to '?'
move 'frame' to 'ctrl + /'

g -> move free (thing grab)
g + shift -> move x
g + ctrl -> move y
g + alt -> move z
g + shift + ctrl -> move normal.

same with r for rotate
same with a for scale (would use s but I like CTRL + S for save)

Tottebias
08-18-2002, 12:58 AM
I can't even get it to work. It just starts erlang and leaves it's icon in the toolbar. Can't get to maximise or anything. Just dead..How sad.

Hookflash
08-18-2002, 02:06 AM
That's weird... 0.97a runs fine on my system. Maybe try making a bug report, or asking for help on the Wings3d forum (there's a link to the forum at www.wings3d.com).

WarlockXKZ
08-18-2002, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Tottebias
I can't even get it to work. It just starts erlang and leaves it's icon in the toolbar. Can't get to maximise or anything. Just dead..How sad.

It runs fine here too.

May I ask what OS do you use?

KayosIII
08-18-2002, 07:32 AM
Which version are you using on which OS... Try the forum link above which is THE place to discuss your wings problems.

Tottebias
08-18-2002, 11:43 AM
I downloaded the latest. 0.97a or something, running win xp...Earlier versions have worked fine.

Tottebias
08-18-2002, 11:46 AM
For your knowledge. Now it starts but I get no menus. Oh well..I'll take this to the wings forum.

Mechis
08-20-2002, 05:55 PM
I installed Wings v.97a two days ago and it worked perfectly. However, today I cannot get any of the keyboard shortcuts to work!!! I can access commands via the menu, but the hotkeys do not work. Please help!

Mechis
08-20-2002, 05:57 PM
Oh, I'm on a PC, Windows 98

levius
08-20-2002, 10:03 PM
I just want to say thanx and good job, I realy like this free modeler, its high quality tool for all the people that dont have money for some commercial package. :thumbsup:

KayosIII
08-21-2002, 01:32 AM
And even some people who have commercial packages but prefer the speed of working in a dedicated modeller.

I will pass this message on Bjorn ....
thanks.

WarlockXKZ
08-25-2002, 05:50 AM
Kayos, the guys that are developing Wings will add more features like a native renderer (with materials, shader...) and such or it is going to be just a modeler/exporter app?

BTW, that OpenGL renderer looks pretty crappy for me, do you know people that had good results with that? :hmm:

PS: And sorry about my english too :p

KayosIII
08-25-2002, 12:40 PM
Bjorn's vision for wings version is as a dedicated modeller.

The best way to render from Wings is to use a 3rd party renderer. I have written a script to render to povray (It works on linux at least I need someone lets me know how to render
from the command line using windows).

There are also Render options for several Renderman compatible renderers particularly BMRT. (Air and Aqsis should be implemented soon).

Hope that helps

KayosIII
08-26-2002, 05:01 AM
Linux binary instructions are here....
http://pub33.ezboard.com/fnendowingsmiraifrm1.showMessage?topicID=1150.topic
These are my babies let me know how you go with them.

UrbanFuturistic
08-27-2002, 11:51 PM
It should be noted that the nVidia implementation of GLUT is not as extensive with the SGI implementation which is required by esdl. This implementation is at the bottom of this page (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3) under Miscellaneous. Download the appropriate file and install.

It may be necessary when installing from RPM to force the install (and bugger the conflicts!). the simplest way to do this is rpm -ivh oss-opengl-glu-20000925-1.i386.rpm --force
regards, Paulhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/odubtaig/smilies/coffee.gif

KayosIII
08-28-2002, 01:08 AM
Minor technical note:

nVidia does GL only
There is no nVidia Version of GLUT.....
There is a mesa GLU and SGI GLU

get SGI GLU from the link mentioned above.

gidgit
08-28-2002, 07:50 AM
well, I do like the potential this app shows with regards to modeling operations and agree that the price is riight... thanx to the maker of this app... however, I must say that I too got the erlang popup... also I should add that on my machine it seems kinda sluggish... now it should be added here that my rig is much slower than most these days ( celery 266 with 192 megs of ram ) but in all honesty most other apps I have run pretty good indeed... in fact the only time this little puppy slows down is during rendering jobs... especially those with lots of lighting going on... so what gives... is this just me, or does anyone else notice this sluggish responce...

KayosIII
08-28-2002, 09:21 AM
There are a few issues here....

1) Wings runs in a Virtual Machine simular to java (Thankfully a lot better than java does.) While this does slow things down it has also allowed One person to create a fully functional app in a matter of months...

2) Your Celery 266 is actually one of the worst designed chips ever. It has no Level2 Chache This will severly impact on performance for some apps but not others. It all depends on the design of the app. The Celery 300a onwards has Cache.

3) Wings relies pretty heavily on OpenGL to work. A good OpenGL graphics card really helps things along a lot.

gidgit
08-28-2002, 10:46 AM
Kaos...

great feat for one person for sure... :D

yea the 266 is missing the cache, was sweet in it's time though, I bought it before the 300a came out.... durn...

yea, my Ati card is an old, slow 128 bit pci clunker.... damn lx mobo's only support agp 1x/2x ... sort of limits the options somewhat... time to break down and buy a new rig... :)

thanx for the reply :D

UrbanFuturistic
08-28-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by KayosIII
Minor technical note:
nVidia does GL only
There is no nVidia Version of GLUT.....
That would explain a lot :D Damn sleep deprivation, took me long enough to figure out what I needed to download :rolleyes:
regards, Paulhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/odubtaig/smilies/coffee.gif

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.