PDA

View Full Version : Green Lantern Head (Hal)

Rook
10-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Here is something I did in a day for fun.

http://www.lokilittle.com/hal.jpg

Sculpted in Maya/Zbrush2
Rendered in Maya

Piotr Dobosz
10-05-2004, 03:21 PM
nice:) but he have scary eyes:( grrr:):) congratulation very good work:)

Jason-Kane
10-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Excellent job! Very impressive for 1 day's work.
Not only is this sculpture technically sound, but it also has life and character that you
do not typically find in CG modeling.

The only technical thing that I might add to help is that the Sternomastoid muscle looks linear and thin in places. From anatomy books that I have looked at the muscle is more dynamic in its width and shape. It curves in more of an S like shape. But for one day this is amazing and the skull and facial structure is awesome.

I probably would not even get past blocking something like this in on the first day. LOL

Did you block this in within Maya? If so can we see the base wireframe?

onlooker
10-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Lookin good. :D

TVeyes
10-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Very very nice, I cannot find anything particular to crit, except a need for multiple views, which is not a critique.

However, I do have some questions. Is the mask present in the base mesh or is it freestyled in Zbrush? Did you plan the base mesh density according to what you wanted to detail in Zbrush? Do you try to keep your model all quads?

I ask this because I looked at your homepage a while ago and saw some drool worthy work, but only 2 wireframes. They should be sufficient but I need confirmation.

Excellent work on your homepage:thumbsup:

Rook
10-06-2004, 02:33 AM
Here is a wire and here is another view of Hal. I really wanted the hair to look better, but for a day of modeling it wasn't going to turn out.
Sculpting a head of this complexity doesn't require that I prething the placement of polys to much. If I was making something more complex I would have to plan more. I try to make all my final meshes in quads.

http://www.lokilittle.com/hal2.jpg

http://www.lokilittle.com/halwire1.jpg

AVTPro
10-07-2004, 03:22 AM
Beautiful Work!!!

Mind if I ask question? I'm having trouble getting my model to not look facetted in Zbrush once I import them.

I model my cage in ElectricImage Modeler and exported them into ZB 1.5 (Mac). I don't know how to subdiv the cage in ZB so I used one that was already subdivided in EIM. Is there a tool in ZB where I can just bring it in as rough cage and subdiv in ZB?

Also, I brought the cage from EIM into Maya OSX. I can smooth the box model/cage there with the Maya Smooth Poly menu items. Looks great but when i bring that into ZB, same thing. I can see all the flat polyons and if facetted or the normals are not rendered correctly. However when I edit it and bring it back into Maya, I can get it again with the Average Normals and it looks great. But then it's difficult to get the Obj back into EIAS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :banghead: :cry:

AIPh Pretzel
10-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Is there a tool in ZB where I can just bring it in as rough cage and subdiv in ZB?
I've just started using this program myself and I'm pretty certain there is a divide rollout or at least a button with parameters, can anyone confirm/deny?

AVTPro
10-07-2004, 07:33 PM
I've just started using this program myself and I'm pretty certain there is a divide rollout or at least a button with parameters, can anyone confirm/deny?

Thanks Man. Found it last nite under Tools, Modify, Subdiv.

Then I found a bunch of tutes. Only one problem, they all refer to GUVTile (Group UV tile) under TOOL>Texture. Is there an equivalent in 1.5. on the Mac or is GUV only in ZB2?

thanks again

Rook
10-07-2004, 10:23 PM
AVTpro there is no normal smoothing in Zbrush that I know of. Everything will look facetted. You can change it to look smoother if you go under display and crank up some of those values then click off Quick. (A button on the top panel next to edit)
To subdivide your geometery make sure you click on Edit after you draw your geometery on the canvas. Then go under the menu Geometery and hit Subdivide.
Hope that helps.

Rook

TVeyes
10-08-2004, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the wire and clarification.:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.