PDA

View Full Version : TEETH.. opinions needed

Infinity3d4life
08-14-2002, 01:31 AM
Just wanting to know if it is better to model the teeth as a seperate object, or if anyone models them directly in the head geometry?? I can model heads pretty good, but i always leave out the teeth. Is there a benefit to modeling either way?? just want some of your opinions on the subject...
TIA

proton
08-14-2002, 07:03 AM
I model the teeth, gums and tounge all separate...Although I did model the gums in a few of my characters as part of the head....

Infinity3d4life
08-14-2002, 07:23 AM
Is there a benefit though to actually modelling either way.??? The reason why i ask this is because i am about to TRY to make my first real animation and i want it to be perfect....

Eugeny
08-14-2002, 07:36 AM
It's depend on your model... U can model in one piece and use weight maps for jaw bone, o morph maps for jaw movement. Or model separately and force teeth/jaw to use bones from body/head in layout to get the same movement... Here some example (my avatar model :) )

proton
08-14-2002, 02:34 PM
Great Model Eugeny.....

Infinity.....You can see some examples of teeth and gums being separate in teh Sig_02 files...there are several characters made by myself and Christophe Desse in the Sliders_Endo folder...they all use Separate teeth and gums....

The characters in Jimmy Neutron have the Gums attached buty the teeth separate....It really worx both ways....I guess you have to ask urself what will they be needed for...

Will the camera fly into the characters mouth?

Infinity3d4life
08-22-2002, 11:28 PM
Nope... I just was thinking that maybe there was an advantage to modeling everything seperate.. If there was none, then i was gonna start modeling everything on one mesh.. I guess i might just try it both ways and see what i come up with...

Tumerboy
08-23-2002, 12:44 AM
The only drawback I see to modeling the teeth as part of the head (unless you do it right) is that, if you model as most do, then the teeth won't look like they're sitting in the gums, they'll look like they are just a white part of the gums or something. I would say you're better off with separate pieces, or if you're modeling them as part of the same object, then bevel them all down quite a ways and then back out so they look like they're stuck in threre right.

One last thing, if you want to make anything perfect, then you need a reality check. Nothing is ever perfect, and nothing is ever done. If you ever completely finish something, to the point where there is absolutely nothing else you could do with it, (i.e. perfect) then you aren't an artist, you're just some obsessive modeling freak. Everything can always be improved, so get over the idea that your "first real animation" is going to be perfect, and jus do it. It'll come out how it's going to come out, and next time it'll get better, and so on.

sorry for the rant, I just want you to understand that nothing will ever be perfect. But that's ok.

-Nick

Infinity3d4life
08-23-2002, 03:56 AM
Don't take it the wrong way when i say i want it to be perfect.. I've done professional art for a pretty long time now, and i know that there is no such thing as perfection when it comes to this.. It is just a way for me to say that i want it to be the best that i can achieve at this point.. I myself am my worst critic, but even though this will be my first real 3d project i want to bring that same level of commitment,and dedication to it that i would if i were penciling it... No offense taken, and thanks for the comment.. I see what you mean by trying to model everything in the same layer though.. it works, but the main drawback is that it lacks the detail that i am looking for... THX

Wesball
08-23-2002, 10:06 AM
Question if I wanted ... say... seperate teeth as a object... then seperate guy with lips.

I put bones to move his jaw... then I guess I parent the teeth object to the body object...

if I move the bones in the body object... will the effect carry over to another parent object...

hope I'm making sense... its late:surprised

Tumerboy
08-23-2002, 05:15 PM
Hey Infinity, I didn't mean for that to come off the wrong way, I wasn't sure where you were in your life, and how much experience with art in general you've had. I just know that when I first started, I wanted everything to be perfect, and it took me a while to realize that nothing will ever be perfect, and that I just needed to accept the fact, that if I gave it my all, then that's as good as it'll be, but the next one will be better.

and Wes, when I was talking about making teeth separate, I meant to model them as separate pieces, but you could just merge them back together with the gums once you have them in place. I just think it's easier to get started modeling them separate.

Infinity3d4life
08-23-2002, 09:05 PM
It's cool Tumerboy i appreciate the info... No hard feelings...:)

studiomiguel
08-23-2002, 09:33 PM
Personally, I prefer models as simple as possible. I always make my teeth part of my character object. They are controlled using weight maps or morphs anyway, so no sense in making them seperate.

Eugeny
08-25-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Wesball
Question if I wanted ... say... seperate teeth as a object... then seperate guy with lips.

I put bones to move his jaw... then I guess I parent the teeth object to the body object...

if I move the bones in the body object... will the effect carry over to another parent object...

hope I'm making sense... its late:surprised
U need to force teeth object to use bomes from body/jaw/head - and not parent...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.