PDA

View Full Version : Srek Expreso question...

Jannis
10-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Hi maybe someone else knows too.

I have set up some sliders for my pirate guy and created an expreso swich to return all the sliders to a nutral position (with the help of Cactus Dan, I might add). Everything is working well, except that when I use the swich the sliders and controls return to their original positions but the morph targets requuire a second click in the viewport or the bool checkbox to follow the sliders value???

What is going on, any suggestions?

regards

jannis

Jannis
10-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Another thing I am trying to find out is some more explanations about priority. How exactly does that work. The manual deals with a fusy "Bob in the Rain" example but in my opinion that is nowhere near enough.

You have

initial
animation
expresion
dynamics
generators

Srek, can you elaborate on this. For example what is understood under the term "initial" and what "generators" and what is the priority order there. Is the priority of the groups the same as the one above (ie the menu order) and why.

I had an isue with priority a few days back which I fixed with your suggestion, so it is an important issue.

regards

jannis

Cactus Dan
10-05-2004, 01:54 AM
Howdy,

This is just a guess, but are your controllers above your object with the PoseMixer tag?

It seems that if they are below the PoseMixer in the Object Manager then the PoseMixer change only happens on the next screen redraw, (which may not happen until another event takes place), but I'm just guessing. Srek can tell you for sure.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

Srek
10-05-2004, 07:02 AM
The list of priorities in the menu is the actual order. Initial is the lowest and generators the highest priority. Within a group the number will determine the exact order, but this depends on your scene. Some things like cloth will sometimes not allow other objects to gain higher priority so the option is not working under any circumstances but by far with the most.
Generators are i.e. the NURBS objects, deformers or instances, basicaly every object that dynamicaly generates new geometry.
Hope this helps
Srek

Jannis
10-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Howdy,

This is just a guess, but are your controllers above your object with the PoseMixer tag?

It seems that if they are below the PoseMixer in the Object Manager then the PoseMixer change only happens on the next screen redraw, (which may not happen until another event takes place), but I'm just guessing. Srek can tell you for sure.

Adios,
Cactus Dan
HI Dan, tried changing the order in the OM still no nothing changed. Same problem.

The list of priorities in the menu is the actual order. Initial is the lowest and generators the highest priority. Within a group the number will determine the exact order, but this depends on your scene. Some things like cloth will sometimes not allow other objects to gain higher priority so the option is not working under any circumstances but by far with the most.
Generators are i.e. the NURBS objects, deformers or instances, basicaly every object that dynamicaly generates new geometry.
Hope this helps
Srek
1 So what does initial means in this instance. When the programe is initiated, exactly what?

2 The reason I am asking this is that if I set the expresions under the expresions group, some of them don't work, if I change them all to initial they do.

3 Does the order you describe above mean that the groups are calculated bottom firsrt. That means Generators first, dynamics second and so on? Or is it the other way round.

4 Is the order they are placed in the OM crucial also in terms of which expresion will be culculated first? I have a feeling that this is true, Dan also hinted that way.

I think it would be very helpful if you or Maxon could right a little addentum about this stuff cause when your files start to be populated with expreso it can get quite messy and Bob with his rain cloud example is completely inadequate.

regards

jannis

Srek
10-05-2004, 08:55 AM
HI Dan, tried changing the order in the OM still no nothing changed. Same problem.

1 So what does initial means in this instance. When the programe is initiated, exactly what? Initial is simply the lowest possible priority.

2 The reason I am asking this is that if I set the expresions under the expresions group, some of them don't work, if I change them all to initial they do.
Can't say without seeing the setup, but the lower the priority the more likely it will be "overpowered" by another action. If i.e. you animate an objects position and at the same time control it's position via Xpresso, Xpresso will win unless you lower it's priority below Animation level.

3 Does the order you describe above mean that the groups are calculated bottom firsrt. That means Generators first, dynamics second and so on? Or is it the other way round.
The other way round, Generators will overpower everything else.

4 Is the order they are placed in the OM crucial also in terms of which expresion will be culculated first? I have a feeling that this is true, Dan also hinted that way.
Yes the order of objects and Tags in the OM is the second determinator after the Priority setting.

I think it would be very helpful if you or Maxon could right a little addentum about this stuff cause when your files start to be populated with expreso it can get quite messy and Bob with his rain cloud example is completely inadequate.
Yes, this is a bit of a problem, since it's not readily understandable. I'll see what can be done.

Cheers
Srek

Jannis
10-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Hi Shrek,

Very helpful. I think even something like that in manual would have gone a long way in dispelling any misunderstandings.

thanks again.

regards

jannis

Sammer
10-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Hi Jannis,
Check out page 119 of the R8 manual. The drawing pipeline, is this what your refering to?
HTH
Sam

AndyMcc
10-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Hi maybe someone else knows too.

I have set up some sliders for my pirate guy and created an expreso swich to return all the sliders to a nutral position (with the help of Cactus Dan, I might add).

What is going on, any suggestions?

regards

jannis
I would like to hear more about the switch you referred to. Can you elaborate on how you did that? Great work by the way!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.