PDA

View Full Version : Power Book G4!!

Sagii
10-04-2004, 03:11 PM
Hello, This is not a question really, I am just excited cause I just placed an order or my powerbook G4 2G ram, it came out to be pricy but it has everything I need, and strong enought to run maya and the sorts.. $4500, but I can pay in parts. I know laptops are not as powerful as desktops, but I am a student and always on the go.. Do you guys think this was a good buy... :argh:

peanuckle
10-04-2004, 03:22 PM
I personally would have put in my own RAM. You save mondo cash that way. Other than that I think you will be happy with you computer.

Andrew W
10-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Do you guys think this was a good buy... :argh:
I agree about the RAM thing but I'm thinking I want to do the same. i.e. I want to ditch all my desktop gear for various reasons and replace it with a laptop. Now I'm very agnostic when it comes to OSs, I've used 'em all apart from Solaris. I ruled Linux out for a laptop as many of the things I want to be able to do aren't easily doable on a laptop running Linux yet. So that leaves me with a choice of Windows PC or a Mac. My desktops at home are Windows PCs but I bought a 12" iBook at Christmas as a cheap, small laptop and I've been very impressed thus far. So I specced up equivalent machines on Dell's UK site for a PC and a 15" PowerBook from Apple. The PowerBook came out 200 ($300ish) more expensive, but when you consider that I find OS X is a pleasure to use and that the machine itself is an inch thinner and over 2lbs lighter I think I'm going to buy the Mac. Plus Apple are decent enough to put plenty of developer tools in for free which is a plus, and I like the Unix underpinnings of OS X which means I can run all my shell scripts dating back to my IRIX days. I've gone from being very suspicious of Macs once (and I still maintain that Mac OS 9 was awful) but I think I may now be a convert.

I think you'll be a very happy teddy indeed.

Andrew

maxx10
10-04-2004, 04:24 PM
I'm happy with my PB ... nothing beats animating outdoors :cool:
of course when things get heavy a desktop is better in many ways

cosmari
10-04-2004, 06:33 PM
I think you will be extremely surprised by the Powerbook.
I know I was when I first got it. I haven't used it for 3D yet
but it handles heavy Photoshop and Flash file with more ease
than several desktops I have used. And I only have 1gig Ram!

splintah
10-04-2004, 09:42 PM
maxx:

which programm do you use ?
which powerbook do you have ?

i am thinking about buying a powerbook for maya animation
id love to get the 12" because of size and weight

but i heard display isnt that good and low resolution
and you the 3dcard isnt as good
also only half the possible video ram

what do you think ????

Goon
10-04-2004, 10:07 PM
How are powerbooks with overheating? My dell packed 3ghz but its battery life was crap and it was extremely uncomfortable to use after 20-40 minutes of intensive use (the keyboard was around 90+ degrees). Are powerbooks adequately cooled and ventilated?

stephen2002
10-04-2004, 11:32 PM
A friends 15" G4 Powerbook gets the same temperature on the bottom (like "don't put this on your lap" hot) when doing intensive processing as my 1GHz Dell laptop.

Getting hot on the bottom is to be expected of laptops now I think, most of them sacrafise temperature for reduction in fan noise.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.