PDA

View Full Version : Painter 9 possible bug (watchout)

kraal
10-04-2004, 09:06 AM
ok so i have been using Painter 9 demo (and liking it) then all of a sudden my files got corupted. I always save in .psd cause i jump between the two program. then my latest file got turned to garbage. If you try to open in painter it says 'This is not a photoshop file' try to open in photoshop and i get nothing but grey bars. The actual icon shows up just fine on my harddrive.

btw I am using painter on a mac g4, OSX

just a warning and probably a reason I will not be upgrading
kraal

Jinbrown
10-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi,

If you're going to continue working with the Painter IX trial version, see if this helps:

Do your first save using File > Save As (not File > Save) to save a Painter RIFF file and name it, for instance...

waterfall.rif

Make changes to the image, then do following saves using File > Iterative Save. Painter IX will automatically name these Iterative Save files...

waterfall001.rif
waterfall002.rif
waterfall003.rif

(File > Iterative Save is only available when a change has been made to the image since the last save.)

When you're ready to go to Photoshop, do one more File > Iterative Save to save the last RIFF file.

Then use File > Save As and save it in PSD format. It may also help to check the Uncompressed box but that's just a guess based on the fact that it helped to avoid corrupted RIFF files when we saved them Uncompressed in Painter 8 and earlier versions. I don't recall anyone saying it helped with PSD files, but as long as you've saved your image in RIFF format as described above, I think you should be OK. The default is Compressed so you'll need to remember to check the Uncompressed box.

If anything does go wrong with your PSD file, you should still be able to go back to the last Iterative Save RIFF version.

Out of curiousity, can you check the size of your Pre-built Brush File if it hasn't been deleted? In Painter IX, it's supposed to have an automatic top limit of 200 MB but we haven't worked with Painter IX long enough to see how that works and if that top limit will be too high for some users' systems.

You'll find the Painter IX Pre-built Brush File in your User folder not in the Painter IX application folders where it was with Painter 6, Painter 7, and Painter 8.

If you don't know how to find it, do a search on your hard drive.

Please know that I'm only making suggestions that might help. I hope they do and hope you'll let us know, since we're all getting used to Painter IX together.

Thanks in advance.

kraal
10-04-2004, 08:54 PM
jin
you have been so helpful to me in the past so i will check on these things for you.....and let you know

kraal

kraal
10-04-2004, 09:07 PM
28.3 MB is the size of the pre-built brush

here is something interesting..... while trying to get the file to work another version of painter IX opened so I have one that is 10.9 MB ver. 9.0.267 and another that is 13.7 MB ver.9.0.268 the later is the one i have been using. but just clicking on file allowing it to open on its own gave me this dialog ' You are opening up Painter IX for the first time' (might not be exact but something like that).

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.