PDA

View Full Version : charater head modeling

gotboost
02-05-2002, 08:49 PM
here is a pic of a head id like to model but i dont know how to start it off any ideas thanks for the info

http://www.videocinema.net/3dpic/head%20side%20copy.jpg

here is the body i modeled that i modeled for ithttp://www.videocinema.net/3dpic/sfp%20copy.jpg

NowInc
02-05-2002, 10:00 PM
I think a lot of factors are going to help determine your answer:

1.) What 3D package do you plan on using
2.) Whats your most "comfortable" method of modeling? (Nurbs, poly, sub-D)
3.) Is it for an animation or for a Still

Looking at the body you modeled, it looks like you already have a good "grip" on how to do details (the head you showed has a lot of nooks and crannies that would require a lot of tweaking), so I don't think you will have much of an "issue" getting it done.

Personally (me being a sucker for torture) would attack the head using Nurbs, just because of the amount of "curved" surfaces that make up the enitire head.

gotboost
02-05-2002, 10:13 PM
thanks for the reply ill be useing maya for the modeling i have a microscribe 3d digitizer also so you think i should try sculptin the basic head then go form there.

NowInc
02-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by gotboost
thanks for the reply ill be useing maya for the modeling i have a microscribe 3d digitizer also so you think i should try sculptin the basic head then go form there.

Hmm...it couldnt hurt...for reference. I wouldnt use the "trace" as a base or a final since the faces are usually not "friendly". But I would think it would be to your advantage to sculpt it anyway, since its always helpfull to have an "object" to look at when modeling.

As a fellow Maya user, I can tell you that I would honestly not go the Sub-D route (not yet..unless you are familiar with the faked Sub-D method). In the end it seems its up to you however, seeing which method you are the most comfortable with (since in reality..there is no "better" method of modeling..just better users).

gotboost
02-05-2002, 11:30 PM
oh ok thanks for the info for a somewhat newbe

NowInc
02-05-2002, 11:36 PM
I just noticed that you live like 10 minutes from me (Im in north miami)..you dont happen to go to AIFL do you?

gotboost
02-05-2002, 11:55 PM
na im gonna be going to iFAC in july for animation

NowInc
02-05-2002, 11:58 PM
na im gonna be going to iFAC in july for animation

Doesnt AIFL own iFAC now?

Either way..cool...I do some sub-teaching at both schools..so maybe I will cross your path ;)

gotboost
02-06-2002, 12:02 AM
very cool um about atfl they dont really own it is some sub comapnany that own both of them an a bunch of other art schools in the nation

NowInc
02-06-2002, 12:06 AM
Well..yeah..The Art Instututes International...

I went to AIFL and graduated...I wish i could say that the amount of stuff I learned in school was more than i learned on my own... but sadly when I attended there it was JUST getting good. So I missed out on a lot of the things that the kids there now learn.

Oh well..at least I made the most of it ;)

Good luck!

gotboost
02-06-2002, 12:09 AM
do have some of your work online
here is a link to some pics an test www.videocinema.net/3dpic

NowInc
02-06-2002, 12:12 AM
Well..my site is painfully out of date (I havnt updated any of the 3d samples since i was in college...sad eh?)

But..if you want to see some of my OLD (and much less evolved) work... head over to www.now-incorporated.com and check out the portfolios section...

Keep in mind that most of what I do is MEL scripting and such, which is what I "teach" when called upon.

gotboost
02-06-2002, 12:18 AM
oh you know mel i have an ok understanding of mel but i want to get good what should i study c++ cuz i want to try to develop plug-ins for maya an or custom tools also

NowInc
02-06-2002, 12:22 AM
oh you know mel i have an ok understanding of mel but i want to get good what should i study c++ cuz i want to try to develop plug-ins for maya an or custom tools also

Well..if you are planning on making Plugins..then..yep..learn C++

MEL is structured in such a way that unless you are using its API (plug in stuff) you dont NEED to know C. But it always helps...

Most of the stuff I write are custom particle expressions and elaborate UI additions to help simplify the control of multiple objects/attributes....

gotboost
02-06-2002, 12:25 AM
whats your e-mail so we dont have to keep posting on cg for no reason wait for the site to come up.my is vcas@hotmail.com

NowInc
02-06-2002, 12:28 AM
LoL...good idea

you can reach me at ::

AIM: elblots
Yahoo: elblots
MSN: elblots@hotmail.com
email - elblots@hotmail.com

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.