PDA

View Full Version : Snap Drag Tool ?

mrcz
10-03-2004, 11:35 PM
I cant find any tool which acts as LW Snap Drag Tool. Can anybody help me?

Thanks

Martin

huskerdude
10-04-2004, 07:01 AM
Select the 'Automatic' center and then issue "tool.set center.element on" in the command box. Enable Geometry snapping. In the Tool Pipe you should see:

Geometry Snap
Action Center Element
Action Axis Auto

Save this as a preset. Activate the Move tool so it will become part of your preset and right click on any entry in the Tool Pipe and select 'Save Preset'. Give it a name, ie "ElementSnap".

With this setup you should be able to snap individual elements or selected elements by clicking on the element you want to snap and dragging. Selected elements will keep their relationships to each other.

- huskerdude

mrcz
10-04-2004, 04:12 PM
>>huskerdude
Thank you very much for answer. It works!!
I am pretty impress how capable Tool Pipe is. I must explore it definitely.
(I am still waiting for a hardcopy manual though.)

Is it possible to modify the preset to something like Snap Drag with Ctrl? To snap to X,Y,Z value of a vertex?

Martin

leuey
10-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Huskerdude - OT question. Are you a Nebraska fan? Don't see too many references to the 'Huskers' on cg newsgroups. (or am I waaaay off w/ your name)

-Greg

Select the 'Automatic' center and then issue "tool.set center.element on" in the command box. Enable Geometry snapping. In the Tool Pipe you should see:

Geometry Snap
Action Center Element
Action Axis Auto

Save this as a preset. Activate the Move tool so it will become part of your preset and right click on any entry in the Tool Pipe and select 'Save Preset'. Give it a name, ie "ElementSnap".

With this setup you should be able to snap individual elements or selected elements by clicking on the element you want to snap and dragging. Selected elements will keep their relationships to each other.

- huskerdude

huskerdude
10-04-2004, 08:32 PM
martin - geometry snap can't be constrained in that way. I think. Handles can only be snapped to vertices, edge normals or poly normals at the moment.

leuey - no :p . Husker du were my favourite rock band from the 1980s. Had no idea that it had any association with Nebraska!

leuey
10-04-2004, 09:07 PM
ah - that was my second guess. I used to listen to them (and Bob Mould(?) - right?) 'Huskers' is a nickname for the football team in Neb. I used to live in Nebraska and would have been surprised to see another animator from there.

-Greg

martin - geometry snap can't be constrained in that way. I think. Handles can only be snapped to vertices, edge normals or poly normals at the moment.

leuey - no :p . Husker du were my favourite rock band from the 1980s. Had no idea that it had any association with Nebraska!

pabloD
10-05-2004, 08:34 AM
huskerdude - Thanks for that extremely useful information! I have had mixed success with Geometry Snap and various Tool Pipe configurations.

Yours works great! How'd you figure that out?

huskerdude
10-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Greg - yes, Bob Mould, too, and his last band Sugar. Love that stuff.

PabloD - Mark Brown from Luxology came up with this one.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.