PDA

View Full Version : Bump Maps???

JoZeF-3D
10-03-2004, 09:21 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm not quite sure how to say this, but is there a way to export a bump map instead of a displacement map? I know that zbrush does displacements, but I wasn't sure if that could be converted to a bump map so that rendering time is saved. If anyone has suggestions and resources they can point me out to that would be great THANKS!!!

PJ

mill
10-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Hi.
I think you can use the displacement map as a bump map.

Or you can use BumpViewerMaterial.
Just press the Help button and follow this.
Help > Modeling 3D objects > Textures and Texturing > Bump Maps

roguenroll
10-04-2004, 04:07 PM
well Ive tried disp and normal maps, I exported both from my model. I think
I will use both. I have the disp map on displacment, naturally. Also, I have a
copy of the disp map and a normal map on bump.

In my case anyway, seems the disp (for bump), gets all the major detail, like
eyeridges and ribs, etc. while the normal map seems to get more of my minor detail, like the bumps and wrinkles.

so try both. mixed 'em up and set various %'s

R

aminuts
10-04-2004, 06:27 PM
I hope I get this right...someone will shoot me I reckon if I screw it up hahaha

You might want to create the displacement from subd1-to your highest then create a bump map from say subd1-you middle subd level making sure to delete levels higher than middle one first. So you have medium details for the bump and high ones for the displacement. Rather than using two of the same alphas.

meats
10-04-2004, 06:45 PM
Great point, Aminuts.

I personally do it opposite of that, although.

I do a full level displacement map, and then a just high level bump map (deleting the lower to mid levels). You don't really need to displace the geometry for really high rez surface bumps and such.

JoZeF-3D
10-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Thanks guys, Good inputs. Although I just need it for Bumps and not displacement, I'll definitely look into these methods.

Thanks...

PJ

roguenroll
10-04-2004, 08:00 PM
yeah, sounds cool, I'll have to check that out, I was running on instinct, but seemed to work out. I'll check out deleting the levels I dont need, etc.

thx

R

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.