I'd love to see Steve Jobs demonstrate the benchmarks that are here:
http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

-Victor

alphatron
08-13-2002, 07:49 PM
Wow, a whole .25 gigaherz increase! :eek:

Pyro2301
08-13-2002, 08:10 PM
It would be a small gain if it was an AMD or Intel processor but it's a 25% gain as far as Macs go. It'd be like Intel releasing a 3.16MHz processor which is a pretty big leap. Don't get me wrong I love my PC but it's nice to see Apple is heading in the right direction again after a bit of a detour.

-Victor

anim8r2
08-14-2002, 02:04 AM
I don't know. I'm with Alphatron on this one. It's been something like 6 months since the 1 Ghz'ers came out and you have to wait another 6-8 weeks for the first consumer to get his/her new G4 1.25 delivered!

A 25% boost doesn't seem like much. Apple made a bunch of improvements to the motherboard, but it would have been nice to see the competition roll out a monster.

Chris
08-14-2002, 03:28 AM
wow they sound absolutely amazing! Apparently they are the "the ultimate high-end graphics workstation" and they run "Adobe Photoshop up to 90 percent faster than a 2.53GHz Pentium 4-based PC" Wow! It looks like Einstein is out the door too, with the processor actually being faster-than-light! Simply amazing! None of those normal old DVD burners for apple users, they have something much better, a 'Superdrive'!! Whippee! :eek:

frog
08-14-2002, 08:12 AM
In some ways it's quite a smart move, seeing as Motorola can only manage a 1.25ghz processor the Mac now comes in a dual processor configuration as standard. Had they not done that they would have been left for dust.

Obviously they still can't compete with dual Athlons or Xeons but in benchmarks geared towards heavily multithreaded applications they might just keep up with a single processor PC ;)

dvornik
08-14-2002, 08:34 AM
Is it a pinhole I see on the drive or do we still have to take the bastards apart when the disk gets stuck?

zen
08-16-2002, 04:19 PM
quote:
"What makes a supercomputer “super” is its ability to execute at least one billion floating-point operations per second, a staggering measure of speed known as a “gigaflop.”

What makes me laugh is that they use this mesure as marketing, yet this mesure is something that wowed people in like, 1985.

according to nvidia, my GF3 does 800 billion operations per second.

Why do marketing people never know anything about what they are selling?

arvid
08-16-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Chris
wow they sound absolutely amazing! Apparently they are the "the ultimate high-end graphics workstation" and they run "Adobe Photoshop up to 90 percent faster than a 2.53GHz Pentium 4-based PC" Wow! It looks like Einstein is out the door too, with the processor actually being faster-than-light! Simply amazing! None of those normal old DVD burners for apple users, they have something much better, a 'Superdrive'!! Whippee! :eek:

haha good to see someone with a sense of humour, I love sarcasm :thumbsup:

:surprised :rolleyes:

Baldric
08-16-2002, 07:28 PM
"New Dual Macs Slower than Their Predecessors"

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1545

arvid
08-16-2002, 08:36 PM
*rests case*

tropistic
08-16-2002, 11:30 PM
And Apple wants me to buy one these to run Shake OSX on? BWAHAHAHA!!!!! Nope, I don't think so.

Shake did just fine on my old dual P3 600, and just smoked on my dual AMD 1900. Digital Fusion 4 is just looking better and better....

Anybody want to buy a quite legit Shake license?

Jay

flamedevil
08-16-2002, 11:47 PM
Apple will dead soon dead ! Apple will dead soon ! Houraaaaa !!

Maybe it's the last model :)

To all mac user : Enjoy and suffer ! :scream:

CoolCalb
08-17-2002, 12:43 PM
I never trusted a one-buttoned mouse...

I say Mac(ke) P.C not war

finearts2
08-17-2002, 04:58 PM
God, I got a good laugh on that OFFICIAL report of the new mac being slower. If the geniuses would of checked their own info, they would of realised that there are 2 things that are being reported wrong, but I'll just let all the (laughing while I say this) PC users think whatever they want. It's fun to see the lambs being led to the slaughter. BTW, ask MR. Gates what laptop computer he uses at work. I think you would be suprized.

Jhonus
08-18-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by finearts2
God, I got a good laugh on that OFFICIAL report of the new mac being slower. If the geniuses would of checked their own info, they would of realised that there are 2 things that are being reported wrong, but I'll just let all the (laughing while I say this) PC users think whatever they want. It's fun to see the lambs being led to the slaughter. BTW, ask MR. Gates what laptop computer he uses at work. I think you would be suprized.

Is it the 'article reporting on the benchmark' or the actual benchmark thats wrong?

element412
08-18-2002, 10:05 PM
this jump of technolgy is awesome....putting dual processor really near the standart for a computer... thats great. but this is showing we are really paying too much for macs.....
apples is currently making a better and better competition to pc's... but damn. a correct dual g4 ( 867mhz..512mb ddr ram 60 gig and a radeon 9000 64mb (i'd prefer the gf4 ti 128mb..but what a price...)) plus a 19'' inch gets you easily to 4200$ can. (a little less than 3000$ us.......

really thats a lot compare to dual pc's.......

oh and also the fact they put dual in all the boxes but the prices didnt really got higher.....its strange...

lement

magicogar
08-19-2002, 10:44 PM
This is my first time coming here. Just like to say hello to you all before I post something.

From what I've heard from reading an article awhile back, Photoshop was tweaked somehow to run better on the Mac. That I think why Mac just chosed Photoshop to benchmark on their website. Overall I think the Mac is overpriced and you can get a much better system for much lower price.

The only thing I like about Mac is their website. Nothing else....especially hate the 1 button mouse.

:beer:

dmonk
08-20-2002, 04:47 AM
I'm not a technical guru on all thing's mac or p.c. but we have a few dual G4 at my UNiv. and there not all that great.
Just my two bits.

I cross my fingers when trying to do particles in combustion 2 so it doesn't crash for the 10th time before I give up.:hmm: :thumbsdow

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.