PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic - Amapi 6 free, Nov Computer Arts

SteveB
10-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Hi,

Just a quick heads up on something - the november issue of computer arts has a cd with free mac/pc versions of Amapi 6.

I reckon this modelling app is a great compliment to c4d, just about all my modelling is done in amapi 5.

Cheers,

Steve

fxgogo
10-04-2004, 07:29 PM
cool, thanks for the heads up Steve. Can you bring your completed Nurbs cage into C4D, or do you have to polygonize it?

/\>Scott M C4D</\
10-05-2004, 02:26 AM
I always found that Amapi program so unstable. Is it still unstable?

Rabid pitbull
10-05-2004, 03:08 AM
I always found that Amapi program so unstable. Is it still unstable?
I agree with you there, crashed my old blue and white every few minutes. But that was version 4 i think, so hopefully it is better now! I also remember it had a very strange interface, something like you had to move pointer off screen to right to change toolsets. Very annoying...

So what is the word on version 6 does it have improvements over these features?

AdamT
10-05-2004, 04:16 AM
I've tried it a few times. It always seems to have potential but I can't really get the results I want. Don't know if it's the program not working right or the weak documentation. Couldn't be me. :)

Why would you ever pay for this program when you pretty much know it's going to be given away free six months later?

BazC
10-05-2004, 09:11 AM
"I always found that Amapi program so unstable. Is it still unstable?"

From what I've heard Amapi is an excellent app on Windows but I've found it all but unusable on a Mac. Older versions were unstable and more recent versions (I think the last demo I tried was Amapi 7) were far too slow, even with a cube primitive! They just don't seem to make an effort with the Mac versions! :o( - Baz

SteveB
10-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Crashed within 2 minutes on my pc - got confused doing a fillet!

Seems ok now though, it does have a quirky interface though.

For architectural stuff it works really well and the snap system is excellent, just hold shift down and it visibly auto snaps to end points, midpoints, centres ect.

alanmac
10-05-2004, 01:31 PM
For architectural stuff it works really well and the snap system is excellent, just hold shift down and it visibly auto snaps to end points, midpoints, centres ect.

Hi Steve

If you like that, get hold of a demo of Vectorworks if you have not already tried it. Far superior IMHO and it will do your working drawings, export direct to C4D. As I know you're in the same line of work as me you'll find alot of companies use this and that increases any working prospects for the future.

It's the easiest of Cad programs to learn, good modeller, stable, and as I said easy to learn certainly for an old dinosaur from the drawing with those funny pen and marker thinges, so a young whippersnapper like you will have no problems.

Free Demo easily available, call Computers Unlimited in the UK. Full product a good price as well. Just need the basic version not Architect etc.

All the best

Alan

martinp
10-06-2004, 02:04 PM
I always quite liked Amapi. I was getting quite into it when I spotted the crossgrade to C4D and I guess I haven't used it since!

It still has several nice features that C4D is missing in the modelling space. For example, if you want to select a series of polygons,edge lines etc in a complex pattern (say every other polygon in a loop around an object) it lets you create a quick pattern in binary and a repeat factor. Booleans are not perfect, but the preview lets you step through the various ANDs, ORs, Subtracts etc very quickly to get to the one you want...and works with splines as well as solids. Finally (and this is not exhaustive) if you want a new construction plane you can choose to base it on any polygon already constructed. So, for example, tiling a roof just involves plonking a new construction plane on the existing roof poly and then building on that.

The interface was always a bit wierd, but it was amazing what you could do in a short space of time once you'd learned it. As I say, I moved across....and it's hard to keep both in my brain at the same time! :-)

Martin

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.