PDA

View Full Version : 2 Make A Custom Bulit Computer Help

designs2
10-03-2004, 08:25 AM
Hi I Am New To 3d Graphics...i Am Using Maya 6 And I Wanted To Know How To Bulid A Fast Computer With About $4,000 Us Dollars...please Need Help...

Rabid pitbull
10-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Two choices here. Research research research, or call Boxx technologies. Either way you should have a monster pc with that kind of budget. I suggest boxx since they have alot of experience building highend pc's with cg in mind. Sorry for a pretty lame answer to your post but it too general of a question to answer any other way.

designs2
10-04-2004, 01:22 PM
hey thanks for repling...but i researched a lot....huge product list cant decide what to buy for a home built computer...can you help...please....

designs2
10-04-2004, 01:23 PM
hey thanks for repling...but i researched a lot....huge product list cant decide what to buy for a home built computer...can you help...please....i am using maya 6...

please if anybody can send me a configaration....great help it would be.....

tata79
10-15-2004, 09:09 AM
okay, i'm also new in 3d apps, here are the list if i may suggest (i have use these spec at home and never encounter any problem) :
for Mobo : Tyan thunder K8W S2885 (it has NUMA technology)
for processor : AMD Opteron 248 of 250
for graphic card : Quadro 4000 of Wildcat Realizm 200
for RAM : Corsair 2gig
for harddrive : SATA 120gb
for PSU :300w at least or 525 better
casing : super tower from lian li or Xaser III from thermaltake

hopes my spec could help

maninflash
10-16-2004, 05:04 PM
The spec tata79 said is good. For monitor, ViewSonic has the best quality. Also you may want to have a smaller SCSI hard drive for applications and a bigger IDE or SATA drive for storage (Seagate has good drives, also WesternDigital), or you can get two SATA drives and RAID0 them (for faster read/write speed).

And you can go with Intel Xeon instead of AMD Opteron, if so, SuperMicro has good motherboards for Xeons.

For RAM, make sure you get DDR 400 or higher with ECC (it does help sometimes preventing crashes when rendering high res images) And keep in mind, these are DUAL CPU systems we're talking about. I would suggest for at least 400W power supply.

hope that helps.

Tarrbot
10-17-2004, 12:35 PM
I would not recommend RAID 0 without an adequate backup solution for your main system drives. RAID 0 has no redundancy and you will eventually be burned by loss of data.

The reliability of a RAID 0 array decreases dramatically as you add more drives. The speed increase isn't worth the loss of data.

I would use a smaller 15K rpm SCSI drive as your OS drive and use a larger IDE/SATA drive for everything else.

designs2
11-09-2004, 05:53 AM
thanks alot guys....helped alot.....

jbw
11-09-2004, 11:15 AM
If you are new to 3d can I suggest you save a few quid and get a mid range quadro. This would allow you to get a couple of decent monitors.
Regarding the PSU make sure you get a brand like Antec, DONT rely on a generic one that comes with a case.
Just my two cents...

ta,
jbw

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.