PDA

View Full Version : Text without Illistrator?

drkollossus
10-03-2004, 06:39 AM
So I don't own Illistrator, does anyone have a suggestion on how I create some text to use in modo? (with out using maya or lightwave). or has this been covered already?

MrPG
10-04-2004, 04:54 PM
So I don't own Illistrator, does anyone have a suggestion on how I create some text to use in modo? (with out using maya or lightwave). or has this been covered already?
you can try searching freshmeat.net for GPL/FSF/etc (free) eps/vector/desktop publishing programs. The software is mailny targetted to the unix crowd but for the most part you can find projects with windows ports.

Just to name a few off the top of my head;

gimp
scribus

kursad_pileksuz
10-04-2004, 07:01 PM
you can try creating in photoshop and convert to curves in ps and exporting as illustrator file.

Xtrude
10-04-2004, 11:35 PM
Mayeb just use Wings3D for making text... then export... opening it up in Modo would not be a problem... :)

drkollossus
10-05-2004, 02:11 PM
you can try creating in photoshop and convert to curves in ps and exporting as illustrator file.
OK this worked. WooHoo! I could have swore I tryed this and it would not load the .ai fille, but it did just now. Thank you!

drkollossus
10-05-2004, 02:25 PM
OK this worked. WooHoo! I could have swore I tryed this and it would not load the .ai fille, but it did just now. Thank you!
OK Not only did this work... It imports the Paths as Modo Bezier Curves for easy further ediing. See this is why I'm just loving this progam. Just when you thing that there is a feature missing you find something that works even better... (technicly I'm still tring to figure out the whole, Fall off and rotate instead of a dedicated bend tool, thing, but still loving it).

BertD
10-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Did the Photshop paths actually came in clean?
The ai files I import from Freehand look much cleaner than the exported paths from Photoshop.
[This is not a modo problem, but the way Photoshop exports]

Just curious.

Bert

drkollossus
10-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Did the Photshop paths actually came in clean?
The ai files I import from Freehand look much cleaner than the exported paths from Photoshop.
[This is not a modo problem, but the way Photoshop exports]

Just curious.

Bert
Not particularly, I did clean then up a bit in PhotoShop before I exported them. Also even after I played with them a bit in both packages I had an interesting problem. I did an extrude on the curves ( they imported as Beziers) and then tried to select the edged around the opening to create a face for the letters and I could not get a continuous loop of edges. Some times they would go part way around the circumference of the opening and once they went all the way around, then along an edge then all the way around the back opening as well. I just hope they add a real text tool in then next update.

Floodguy
10-07-2004, 04:52 AM
Hi,

actually the ai-file import in modo seems to work the same as the one LW modeler. I get the same results in LW modeler. My hope was, to get something that would create complete polygons, with autodrill, instead of a lot of (bezier)-curves and one point-polys.
If the drawing is really complex (i.e. connector-models, or text), it takes a lot of time to clean up the whole stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.