PDA

View Full Version : Surreal Mind - self portrait(2D)

Mystifyurmind
10-03-2004, 05:25 AM
Just the progression of a facial sketch i'm working on. This is about an hour progress so far. I'm working on my ability to capture correct lighting and speed painting.
And critiques and comments are welcome.

Media: Photoshop
time so far: 1 hour
http://www.nicklogic.com/images/nickhead1.jpg

andrewley
10-03-2004, 02:01 PM
The only thing that looks odd is the eye. I would expext it to be set slightly further back. I also doubt you can see the inner corner (where the tear duct is) from this angle but you seem to have painted it in.

Not keen on that background either.
Its a good start though - keep going

Mystifyurmind
10-04-2004, 03:52 AM
The only thing that looks odd is the eye. I would expext it to be set slightly further back. I also doubt you can see the inner corner (where the tear duct is) from this angle but you seem to have painted it in.

Not keen on that background either.
Its a good start though - keep going
Thank you, you're quite right about that inner corner. I'll be sure to mess with that as I progress.

Thanks for the keen eye! :D

Lonely Pixel
10-04-2004, 09:16 AM
I mostly agree with andrew. Get rid of that background! The eye also could use a little more feel of depth, as it really looks like a flat texture stuck up there. Darken the spot under the eyebrow a bit, I suggest. As for the highlights; be careful with extremes (white and black). In my opinion the highlight above your eyebrow is a bit too shiny and big, and the highlights on your hair could be fewer, maybe less bright. That's basicially it for the critics. Keep going! I'm sure you'll end up with something nice!

Oh, can I ask what your age is?

Mystifyurmind
10-05-2004, 08:11 AM
I mostly agree with andrew. Get rid of that background! The eye also could use a little more feel of depth, as it really looks like a flat texture stuck up there. Darken the spot under the eyebrow a bit, I suggest. As for the highlights; be careful with extremes (white and black). In my opinion the highlight above your eyebrow is a bit too shiny and big, and the highlights on your hair could be fewer, maybe less bright. That's basicially it for the critics. Keep going! I'm sure you'll end up with something nice!

Oh, can I ask what your age is?
if you respond with yours ;)

I'm 21, senior in college, majoring in 3D animation but trying to regain my fine art roots :D I never lost them, but I have degraded in skill quite a bit.

The hair highlights: good point, way too many. I'll work on the eye depth as I continue, good point. as far as the background, I'll change that to a more colored paper look. I'm trying for a strathmore paper quality base. This background is too much of a mosaic look.

Thanks for the crits!

zilla
10-06-2004, 12:00 AM
I'm trying for a strathmore paper quality base. This background is too much of a mosaic look.
Hi nice start, I really like the way your painting the face!

If your trying for a strathmore paper look in picture it should show through in the "paint" on the face as it is it looks kinda pasted on top. If you can get hold of Painter you can pick a kind of canvas to paint on and it will do it for you automatically. Or in Photoshop you could duplicte the "paper" layer desaturate it and make in a multiply or screen mode...

Mystifyurmind
10-06-2004, 02:14 AM
Hi nice start, I really like the way your painting the face!

If your trying for a strathmore paper look in picture it should show through in the "paint" on the face as it is it looks kinda pasted on top. If you can get hold of Painter you can pick a kind of canvas to paint on and it will do it for you automatically. Or in Photoshop you could duplicte the "paper" layer desaturate it and make in a multiply or screen mode...
why didn't i think of that multiply? Good idea, thanks :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.