PDA

View Full Version : Add a single point to a polygon?

Sbowling
10-02-2004, 02:51 AM
I can't seem to find a way to add a single point to a polygon like I can do int lightwave. Is this tool midding, or and I just not finding it? Right now I've been using the cut tool to cut the polygon in half, then deleting the edge and the point that I don't want, but this isn't a very efficient way of doing this.

leonard-davi
10-02-2004, 03:10 AM
i dont find to i just found the edge slice (C) and split polygon (crtl+l) and i use loop slice to (alt+c) to make something with just one point is just pen .. but pen just make one face ;\ if some one know i need to know to .. hugs

vmaranta
10-02-2004, 04:38 AM
I believe what you are looking for is under the "mesh edit" tab on the left side. Using Edge Slice or "C". First select the edge you want and then do edge slice to add your point

onlooker
10-02-2004, 04:46 AM
Wow. This definitely needs to go in the feature requests list. Point Snap, Curve/Edge Snap, Mesh Snap, and a way to add a single point in the center of a triangle. The Pen tool should be able to edit polygons directly like this.

Sorry I cant help you guy's. I couldn't find the answer using the ways I would normally do it in Maya.

leuey
10-02-2004, 04:53 AM
It's there. It's edge slice. Just select an edge (you may not even have to do this) and click edge slice (c - i think). In the tool options turn off 'spit polygon' and 'middle of polygon(?) - not in front of modo but this option turns of the auto center of edge). Then click away, little blue points will appear. You can later select these points and then the 'split polygon' command to joint them up if you want.

of course you can probably make a tool out of these settings, put it on your tool bar and call it 'add points'. Just like LW

-Greg

I can't seem to find a way to add a single point to a polygon like I can do int lightwave. Is this tool midding, or and I just not finding it? Right now I've been using the cut tool to cut the polygon in half, then deleting the edge and the point that I don't want, but this isn't a very efficient way of doing this.

Sbowling
10-02-2004, 05:29 AM
It's there. It's edge slice. Just select an edge (you may not even have to do this) and click edge slice (c - i think). In the tool options turn off 'spit polygon' and 'middle of polygon(?) - not in front of modo but this option turns of the auto center of edge). Then click away, little blue points will appear. You can later select these points and then the 'split polygon' command to joint them up if you want.

of course you can probably make a tool out of these settings, put it on your tool bar and call it 'add points'. Just like LW

-Greg
So I was using all along, but with the wrong settings. :eek: I didn't think they would leave out a tool as important as that. I am going to need to create another tool, so I don't have to change the settings every time I need it.

Thanks! :applause:

onlooker
10-02-2004, 05:57 AM
I still think the snapping is a must have feature, but I'm glad there is a way to accomplish what you were intending. What about adding a Point in the center of a face?

leuey
10-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Spikey w/ 0 offset (offset? I think, man I need to read my cgtalk on the same computer as Modo, this is getting tedious). Anyway, spikey will do it. Again, make/rename your own tool (if you want).

once I have some time I'm going to go Pie menu crazy and upload some configs.

-Greg

I still think the snapping is a must have feature, but I'm glad there is a way to accomplish what you were intending. What about adding a Point in the center of a face?

onlooker
10-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Again, I am glad a solution came through, but this seems like it is too many steps IMO to accomplish two things, and I think these could/should all be added to the pen tool.

Or a similar all in one Poly tool. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.