PDA

View Full Version : R9 and Mocca...I'm loving it

flyingP
10-01-2004, 09:52 AM
not sure if it's of interest, but this is early work on the control rig I'm setting up for a current WIP, and nothing fantastic (the CB maps are still rather crappy so the deformations kinda off and tearing in places) still I'm finding the improvements in Mocca are really cool, this is using hard IK on the arm set to varying strengths, there is still a lot of fine tuning to do but personally I find once you get into it it doesn't seem to be that difficult, at least I am starting to get the results I want :D

test.mov (http://www.bjread.joice.net/fposts/MFtest.mov)

Byla
10-01-2004, 10:14 AM
ahm, is this hardware render???

anyways, is it comparable to Maya character animation tools? Quality wise?

Jannis
10-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Looks good.

regards

jannis

flyingP
10-01-2004, 10:21 AM
>>>ahm, is this hardware render???

not quite sure what you mean by that, but if you mean rendered with the editor settings then yes.

>>>anyways, is it comparable to Maya character animation tools? Quality wise?

no idea never used Maya :) , but compared to the first version of Mocca I'm finding it's a big improvement, although I am still only scratching the surface at the moment.....still I am enjoying it :)

Byla
10-01-2004, 10:25 AM
aham, so just viewport render then... ok. no worries, for a second I actualy thought that they implemented hardware rendering and didnt bother to tell anyone :)

Can you tell me, what is you technique of keyframing? Auto Key on or something?

flyingP
10-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Can you tell me, what is you technique of keyframing? Auto Key on or something?

Not sure if I'd call it any technique with this I was just testing the controls and the mesh deformations to see where things still need to be worked on no real thought went into the actual animation (was being a bit lazy), I did have the Auto Key turned on for this though. :)

danb
10-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Nice job flyingP. That monster looks pretty mean. What are you going to do for the tongue? Bones or spline deformer?

flyingP
10-01-2004, 10:45 AM
Nice job flyingP. That monster looks pretty mean. What are you going to do for the tongue? Bones or spline deformer?

bones, there's a Soft IK chain in it at the moment, I'll need to scale it back a bit though so I can stretch it out later however (I wasn't sure if I was going to animate this guy or not to start with ((still not sure, just playing at the moment)) so I modelled it extended )

cheers

bobzilla
10-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Interesting character. What are your plans for it??

I know you said the CB maps aren't finished, but I like the shoulder deformation a lot, actually. I can never CB accurately. I have to go back and tweak quite a bit.

Definitley keep us posted on progress!!!

flyingP
10-01-2004, 01:36 PM
>>>I know you said the CB maps aren't finished, but I like the shoulder deformation a lot, actually. I can never CB accurately. I have to go back and tweak quite a bit.

Actually that is the beauty of CB IMO as you work on the deformed mesh, albeit without hypernurb smoothing.....still takes a bit of time though :)

>>>Definitley keep us posted on progress!!!

I've got a thread going with it in the WIP forum if you interested in further progress, just posted this in here because I'm getting a real kick out of R9 :D

wesware
10-01-2004, 01:38 PM
That is one freaky demon, bat, blob, creature.

Awesome! Nice motion in the shoulder. I am not sure about how the bicep connects to the shoulder. I would think it should tuck under the deltoid and pec a little more. But, Hey... he is a freak and all for sure.

Please oh please put some festering pustules on his back!
Also... if you don't mind, how did you create the skin(?) that is stretched over his hand parts.
Hard modeled, metaballs, clothilde?

Very interesting. Can't wait to see his hind quarters, not that I wanna see his ass or anything. I am guessing it won't be his best quality :).

flyingP
10-01-2004, 01:47 PM
>>>That is one freaky demon, bat, blob, creature.

Whahahaha! thanks Wes I was looking for a name for him :D

>>>Awesome! Nice motion in the shoulder. I am not sure about how the bicep connects to the shoulder. I would think it should tuck under the deltoid and pec a little more. But, Hey... he is a freak and all for sure.

No you're right and that's where I want to work on the weight maps a bit as well as the bone position.

>>>Please oh please put some festering pustules on his back!

Zbrush has been ordered so you're on :D

>>>Also... if you don't mind, how did you create the skin(?) that is stretched over his hand parts.
Hard modeled, metaballs, clothilde?

hard modelled
Edit: a mixture of subdivision, poly by poly and mesh brush to be a bit more exact

>>>Very interesting. Can't wait to see his hind quarters, not that I wanna see his ass or anything. I am guessing it won't be his best quality :).

:eek: ........ :D

flingster
10-01-2004, 02:07 PM
i can see why you're loving it...the results are looking good..i think i'll attach myself to this lovely little thread and enjoy the ride for awhile if you don't mind.
with the right lighting its gonna look scary stuff...did you finish the whole model?

flyingP
10-01-2004, 02:15 PM
...did you finish the whole model?

nope not yet, still heaps to do, but I figured as the front section is more or less modelled I could have a go at rigging it, also lets me see where things are not working so I can make corrections to the mesh before trying to create UV maps for the texturing.

What remains to be modelled are the legs, the skin on the tail, and some of the mechanics in the mid section.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.