PDA

View Full Version : How Would I Make a "Do-Nothing" Photoshop Brush in Painter?

Zwaeback
10-01-2004, 07:40 AM
Just a basic brush, that could cover an area with exactly 35% color. It would also be nice if the resulting painted shape would have a slightly softened edge. I vaguely remember asking about this at a Painter forum three years ago. I don't think there was ever an answer.

Thank you for your help.

tayete
10-01-2004, 10:42 AM
I believe it is quite easy:

Just use any of the Airbrushes (soft edge) with 35% opacity. Use it in a layer with "Pick underlaying colour" desactivated (so it just covers and does not mix with the layers under it).

If I understood you well, it would be something like this...

Jinbrown
10-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Hi Zwaeback,

Here's a demo image showing the Airbrushes' Digital Airbrush variant and another brush variant, the Pens' Flat Color variant, that can be used to cover and also be adjusted to have soft edges:

http://www.pixelalley.com/jins_images/demo_cover_soft_edge_variants.jpg

In addition to choosing other brush dab profiles, you can also adjust the Size/Min Size slider relationship to fine tune the brushstroke's edges, and the Spacing slider to make individual brush dabs more or less evident in the brushstroke.

Zwaeback
10-03-2004, 12:35 AM
Jin & Tayete,

Thank you for replying.

I've attached an example of the type of brush stroke I'm looking for in Painter.

http://philjaeger.com///photoshop_brush.jpg

The only way I can have a Painter brush create a similar look is by changing the dab type to Rendered or Artists' Oils. The Digital Watercolor brush can also give a similar result, except the brush stroke opacity is much darker than the opacity inputed by the user.

I also have to mention that the Painter brushes keep building up the color throughout the same brush stroke. What if I want to create a complex shape @ 50% opacity throughout the entire shape? In Photoshop all I need to do is hold down the brush and create the shape.

Pibre3d
10-04-2004, 04:04 PM
I'm looking for the same kind of brush in Painter. I tried all different kind of things but I wasn't able to create the brush I wanted. A way around this is: call up a new layer, change the layer's opacity and then paint. You can drop the layer if you're finished. Although with the keyboard shortcuts you can change the layer's opacity relatively quick, this method doesn't seem too user friendly to me, but I'm still going to find out if this way is workable.
Hopefully someone cvomes up with al real brush

Jinbrown
10-06-2004, 06:04 AM
Hi,

In Painter, if you lower opacity for a brush variant, you'll have a translucent brushstroke.

As far as I know there is no way in Painter, any version, to paint translucent brushstrokes without having the overlap/buildup problem when one brushstroke crosses over another brushstroke. If you were painting wet onto dry watercolor (translucent color) using traditional media, if I'm not mistaken, you'd find the same color buildup.

The only solution we've found is:

If you want exact color based on adjusting the opacity slider, and don't want color to build up when one brushstroke crosses over another, open a new Canvas and paint one brushstroke with your brush variant lowered to the desired opacity.

Click with the Dropper tool on that brushstroke, then add that color to your Color Set.

Now you can pick the added color from the Color Set and paint at 100% opacity with that color, without having the overlap/buildup problem.

Repeat the above steps for additional colors.

If you use the method suggested in a previous message, to paint on a Layer, then lower the Layer's Opacity, you'll still see through that Layer's brushstrokes to underlying colors, and those underlying colors will be affected by colors on the lowered Opacity Layer. That might work just fine in some situations, so you could possibly end up using both solutions.

Zwaeback
10-06-2004, 11:53 PM
Thank you for the suggestions, Jin & Pibre3d.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.