PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't the Mac version of Zbrush 2 due today?

onlooker
10-01-2004, 01:19 AM
How many of you are running Zbrush 2 for Mac now?

Xacto
10-01-2004, 01:46 AM
...not untill 12:00 :thumbsup:

onlooker
10-01-2004, 03:03 AM
What's at 12:00? It wont turn on until 12:00?

Xacto
10-01-2004, 03:09 AM
It has not been released yet... come back at 12:00-you will see. :)

onlooker
10-01-2004, 03:27 AM
Ok, I'm not trying to annoy you here, but isn't 12:00 October 1st? I thought it was coming out today.

cyartist
10-01-2004, 06:01 AM
For some reason when they release software it is always delayed a few hours. It will be out soon.

aurick
10-01-2004, 07:25 PM
You will find the most recent information here: http://206.145.80.239/zbc/announcement.php?f=2Z2 has been delayed by a couple of days and will now be released no later than the end of the day on Monday. There are instructions in that thread for how you can prepare for your upgrade so that you can receive it as quickly as possible once it has been released.

onlooker
10-05-2004, 03:57 AM
Back to my original question: How many of you are running Zbrush 2 for Mac now?

cyartist
10-05-2004, 05:18 AM
Still not release yet I hope it's not delayed again. This is getting annoying.

ambient-whisper
10-05-2004, 05:33 AM
whats more important to you? getting a shit version early? or a good version that will be usable for a long time, that might possibly be a few hours/days late?

Rabid pitbull
10-05-2004, 06:41 AM
I agree that some patience is in order. I also can understand the frustration, but trust me it is worth the wait. It won't be much longer.:thumbsup:

cyartist
10-05-2004, 06:41 AM
Getting good communication is most important. Are you suggesting it is not ready for release. Why would they post a release date if it is not ready. I am assuming they are stuck on the delivery of the software and are not the still writing code.

Some good pointers on releasing software

[Rule 1 ] Do not post release dates if you can not deliver the product in a timely manner. It annoys your customers

[ Rule 2] If unforseen things arise post a message on the forum earlier in the release day so that people wont check the computers every half hour. Most of do not have lives so we are a little obessive about releases.

[Rule 3] Do not give free upgrades to numerical solid versions of the software to current users of past versions. Especially when its a great piece of software like ZB.
Use that capital to speed up development of the software.

onlooker
10-05-2004, 06:49 AM
Oops..

Didn't mean to set off a spark..

cyartist
10-05-2004, 06:54 AM
You did not set off any sparks we are just killing time. A little Drama eases the pain of waiting.

Matariki
10-05-2004, 07:06 AM
I think you didn't set off a spark. Pixologic was very reluctant to give any release date initially. After about 6 month of waiting the Mac community got all worked up and were a bit tense :rolleyes: so they then had to ease the pain and published a release date. That was the 1st Oct. On the 1st they postponed it to today. I am sure it will come sooner or later.

It will be a solid piece of software which is highly optimized for the Mac. What else could I ask for.

cyartist
10-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Anyway we can't change the 3d world in a day or two so we might as well wait. Zbrush for the Mac.....Yeah baby. Man I need to go on a date.

Matariki
10-05-2004, 07:33 AM
Z2 has been released!

cyartist
10-05-2004, 07:50 AM
How do you know have you recieved it already?

flyingP
10-05-2004, 08:42 AM
might have been released but I am "still" waiting on an email to let me know where I can download it :hmm:

Matariki
10-05-2004, 08:52 AM
might have been released but I am "still" waiting on an email to let me know where I can download it :hmm:

Yes thats right. I am also 'still' waiting. The web page talks about a 2 hour wait. If you haven't received it within 2 hours you are supposed to resend your request this time including your purchase details. Have a read on ZBC.

Cheers.

flyingP
10-05-2004, 08:58 AM
2 hours from when ???

Matariki
10-05-2004, 09:12 AM
I asked myself the same question. Pixologic got my e-mail a few days ago. I guess we could count from the time the announcement was posted.

Which means I have to resend my request :shrug:

flyingP
10-05-2004, 09:26 AM
just got mine, hope your comes shortly too :)

chadtheartist
10-05-2004, 04:52 PM
whats more important to you? getting a shit version early? or a good version that will be usable for a long time, that might possibly be a few hours/days late?

I find your post to be very insulting. Some Mac users, such as myself, paid for Z2 almost a year ago, and have had to wait for it for quite awhile. I don't know about you, but a year is quite a long time to wait for something that you've paid for. And Pixologic's lack of updates on the Mac version was not good for public relations as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully in the future they will be forthcoming to ANY future user of Zbrush about possible delays in their software.

The Mac users have not had the past 6 months to use Z2, and I feel you have no right to patronize them for being impatient for a "prolonged" delay. I may be coming across as rude, and I apologize if I shouldn't be posting this here. I just felt ambient's statement was uncalled for.

ambient-whisper
10-05-2004, 05:11 PM
maybe you could have waited with the payment ;), and not rushed with it until you knew it was going to be released?
i just dont see what the big deal is. after testing 2.0 for pc i can tell you the long wait for release, and all the delays that happened for that version were sooo WORTH it. most of the biggest issues and best tools were added very late into the beta. ( one of which was solved 2-3 weeks before release ) which wouldnt have been added if they decided to release it early.

so, if they delay a version im sure they got a good reason and it will be worth waiting for.

chadtheartist
10-05-2004, 05:20 PM
I did wait. There was a post on ZBC a long time ago that said Z2 was going to be released in September, or maybe it was August of last year. So I decided to buy it then. That date was obviously not concrete, as I now know.

And I'm not saying that the delay's haven't been worth it. I'm sure they were essential to the software being as good as it is. And Pixologic did give me an option to buy the PC version for half off due to the delay, so I'm not upset over the Mac delay. I'm just saying that I don't think it's right to patronize Mac users for being impatient for Z2's release. If you weren't trying to patronize Mac users with your previous statement, then I apologize for saying you were. It just came across as rude, especially concerning that you've been using it for a long while, and most of the Mac folks here haven't.

cyartist
10-05-2004, 05:25 PM
I agree with you Chad. Well said.

aurick
10-05-2004, 07:01 PM
I do believe that there is a misconception about the whole "buying early" business.

Pixologic did not at any time offer a "presale" of ZBrush 2. The new version was never made available for purchase until it had been released.

Instead, Pixologic has always sold the actual version that was currently available, with the promise of a free upgrade to ZBrush 2 when that version was released.

Even when the websites were saying that Z2 was about to release and that the price would go up once that release was made, words like "preorder" were never used. Instead, the sites specifically stated that you would "buy version 1.55b now" and receive a "free upgrade to ZBrush 2 when it is released."

If some people chose to treat this as a presale, that was their choice but it was never at any time endorsed by Pixologic. The company delivered EXACTLY what was promised: version 1.55b. Pixologic is now continuing to deliver exactly what was promised, in the form of the free upgrade to ZBrush 2.

chadtheartist
10-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I'm guilty of thinking this was a presale. I know that Pixologic didn't mean for this to happen, and I'm hoping that this is quickly forgotten. So there isn't any beef from my end, because you guys have been very nice to me, even when I wasn't so nice.

I'm actually in you're debt, because honestly there is no way I'd be at the level I am now with my artwork.

Monty
10-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Got my upgrade copy! :bounce:
Im a happy camper... :bounce: :bounce:

AVTPro
10-07-2004, 02:55 AM
I know a couple of guys who got it. Was released at 2am. :bounce:

G3D
10-07-2004, 07:26 PM
can you get a Mac copy as well, or does that cost extra? I'm asking because several other apps(Lightwave, Electric Image, Amorphium) are 'dual' and you get both on one cd.

Rabid pitbull
10-07-2004, 08:10 PM
can you get a Mac copy as well, or does that cost extra? I'm asking because several other apps(Lightwave, Electric Image, Amorphium) are 'dual' and you get both on one cd.
no dual license for zbrush, one or the other. Or buy both.:)

onlooker
10-07-2004, 09:25 PM
I do believe that there is a misconception about the whole "buying early" business.

Pixologic did not at any time offer a "presale" of ZBrush 2. The new version was never made available for purchase until it had been released.

Instead, Pixologic has always sold the actual version that was currently available, with the promise of a free upgrade to ZBrush 2 when that version was released.

Even when the websites were saying that Z2 was about to release and that the price would go up once that release was made, words like "preorder" were never used. Instead, the sites specifically stated that you would "buy version 1.55b now" and receive a "free upgrade to ZBrush 2 when it is released."

If some people chose to treat this as a presale, that was their choice but it was never at any time endorsed by Pixologic. The company delivered EXACTLY what was promised: version 1.55b. Pixologic is now continuing to deliver exactly what was promised, in the form of the free upgrade to ZBrush 2.

Now that it's released it's no big deal, but it was very misleading marketing by pixologic.
Before the PC version was released in March when they were offering the upgrade deal the pages said the Mac version was nearing completion, or in the final stages of completion. I don't know about you, but nearing completion is not 6 months later. I can not say that I think pixologic was being honest about the status of the Mac version at that time.

Also, the way it was all put on one page from the get go made it look like they were saying "go ahead, and buy it now while the price is good because it's almost finished, and the price will go up right way after it's released."

They should have never said it was nearing completion until it was truely nearing completion.

BTW, the price is full price again now.

Rabid pitbull
10-07-2004, 09:59 PM
. I can not say that I think pixologic was being honest about the status of the Mac version at that time.
Amazingly software code is not as predictable as some would like it to be. I do not think they were trying to bait people, sometimes things pop up that cause delays. I think the fact that a version for the pc was made available at a discount to mac users was also a notable step. They wanted to make there customers happy all along, saying that they may not have been as honest as could be is a little much in my opinion. Hey they could have devoted all there time to making the pc version further advanced and just given up on the mac. Come to think of it they still could. :wise:

onlooker
10-07-2004, 10:08 PM
About the next release. As I recall I think it was Aurick that said (a long time ago) the Mac version would be coming first next time.

Which only makes sense. They have been programming on the Mac version for months they should keep doing it while it's fresh. Fair is fair. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.