PDA

View Full Version : Foundation for linux - anything new?

Hullbr3ach
09-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Anything new on the release date of XSI Foundation for Linux?

MukMan
10-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Yeah. I am using Suse 9.1 on my new x86-64 and now that I finally have a decent computer of my own, I wanted to purchase some nice cg software to use on it.
But I'm definitely not going to spend money on xsi or any app unless I know it's going to work properly, and so far I've tried xsi exp and it wouldn't even install properly.

wmendez
10-02-2004, 07:34 AM
I'm running Suse 9.1 pro with V4 and everything is running smooth. No word on Foundation release.

T4D
10-02-2004, 10:58 AM
Yeah. I am using Suse 9.1 on my new x86-64 and now that I finally have a decent computer of my own, I wanted to purchase some nice cg software to use on it.
But I'm definitely not going to spend money on xsi or any app unless I know it's going to work properly, and so far I've tried xsi exp and it wouldn't even install properly.
you should be buying hardware to fit your software
not software to fit your hardware ???!!............. that's just weird :curious:

Savi
10-02-2004, 11:30 AM
you should be buying hardware to fit your software
not software to fit your hardware ???!!............. that's just weird :curious:

lol i know but lot of folks are so anti microsoft they refuse to use it, even though win xp is the best os ive ever used, 2nd would have to be mac os 10 linux is ok just doesnt have the main stream suport yet maybe in a few more years

T4D
10-02-2004, 11:50 AM
lol i know but lot of folks are so anti microsoft they refuse to use it, even though win xp is the best os ive ever used, 2nd would have to be mac os 10 linux is ok just doesnt have the main stream suport yet maybe in a few more years
What 3D artist doesn't uses M$ ?? let alone refuse to uses it ?? :argh:
Even if XSI works prefect on Linux what about my Painter, Photoshop, After effect, and the rest ??
even alot of Mac's users I know have a PC for the odd bit of software that doesn't run on apple OS or for that extra render power for the cheap price when they need it ???

sure ILM and the best ones could be running Linux but M$ would be there too if only for the cool software that only runs on it

I tried Linux afew times over the years and yes it's good and i would like to uses it more
but it's just a dream untill more 3D & 2D Software moves over there in a big way.:banghead:

and please don't talk about gimp it's not Photoshop and it's no where near Painter. :rolleyes:
and cinepaint oh please:cry:

Atyss
10-02-2004, 03:43 PM
You crack me up dude.

I don't even use Linux (well, it's only a matter of months until I do), and yet I think Windows is just a gigantic piece of super-juicy and smelly BS. Obviously you never had to render anything large and you never had to do administration stuff (workgroup shaders and spdls, handling a renderfarm, and so on). Because of that BS I, and legions of other artists and TDs, have lost countless hours fixing unbelievable crap and working around unthinkable software design atrocities.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not one of those hard core geeks who hate MS and love Linux. It's just that my experience brought me to the conclusion that there is absolutely no future in MS. If the market would shake itself up a little bit and come to realize this, we'd see Linux versions of all your favorite softwares sooner than later.

Many people say that moving to Linux is not a good idea, because of all the softwares and such. This is true in a certain extent. However, most people who have switched to Linux have never looked back. Did you know you can run Photoshop on Linux?

Cheers
Bernard

lots
10-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Photoshop has open source equivelents too... Granted many users might not like them cuz they're "Different" but they're just as powerful.. and free :P

Gimp anyone?

T4D
10-03-2004, 03:49 AM
Photoshop has open source equivelents too... Granted many users might not like them cuz they're "Different" but they're just as powerful.. and free :P

Gimp anyone?
then with that in mind
we should all uses Blender it's FREE !! and throw XSI away
it's got most of the features XSi the interface it's just alittle "Different" :banghead:

Sorry that's the dumbest thing i keep hearing from Linux users
i already said this in the forum
GIMP IS NOT PHOTOSHOP DONT EVEN TRY TO SAY IT IS !!! :banghead:
it's a cheap knock off of paintshop pro maybe,
if gimp is photoshop
Blender is XSI :argh:

now that is a screwed world :cry:

chikega
10-03-2004, 06:39 AM

In the meantime, you could try out Realsoft for Unix ... or Houdini Apprentice :)

http://www.realsoft.com
http://sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au/

Noxerus
10-04-2004, 01:10 AM
then with that in mind
we should all uses Blender it's FREE !! and throw XSI away
it's got most of the features XSi the interface it's just alittle "Different" :banghead:

Sorry that's the dumbest thing i keep hearing from Linux users
i already said this in the forum
GIMP IS NOT PHOTOSHOP DONT EVEN TRY TO SAY IT IS !!! :banghead:
it's a cheap knock off of paintshop pro maybe,
if gimp is photoshop
Blender is XSI :argh:

now that is a screwed world :cry:
Photoshop can run perfectly on Linux through WINE.

MukMan
10-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Yeah, we gots Wine, and Cedega and Xoffice. I'm using Xoffice and have quicktime (which I technically don't need scince only reason I couldn't run .mov's without it is I forgot to install the codec...), Starcraft (my brother plays it) and stuff, it's not hard to use really. Soon as I figure out why maya and xsi don't run natively like they're supposed to, I'll have no reason to so much as look at another windows machine (unless I'm at school).

Besides, what's soooo incredibly wonderful about Photoshop that Gimp can't come close?
I mean like... specificially.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.