PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with what's in Foundation

HellBorn
09-30-2004, 07:32 AM
I'm trying to figure out what functionality there is in the Foundation version.

First question might be if I sould by XSI and the Foundation at all. My main interst is in build my own models as well as use poser models to mainly pose the models for still images and what I want is to get really god working character joints and god, realistic and fast renders. There is other apps out there at about the same price but it seems to me that Foundation has the best character tools, particles etc.. or ?

As getting god character joints is important to me. What am I missing in not having 'Advanced Rigs, Guides and Motion deform'. On a demo video I saw they connected a cluster to a cheek bone in order to effect the chins when the mouth was opening (somwhat like the Animation Master smart skin). Can I do this in Foundation or is that what they call Motion Deform. So what is the functionality that I will miss when I wont have 'Advanced Rigs, Guides and Motion deform' and I have a focus on setting up god character joints.

Rabid pitbull
09-30-2004, 07:48 AM
I will just say that there is nothing else at this price with these features. It is a awesome product I am very happy with it . The differences between the xsi versions has been covered here in great detail, so I won't go into it. Try a search for further results. But to answer your question about joint deformation you have full control and setting up a rig for a character is lightening fast. I have been a long time lightwave user and the rigging and envelope tools (point weighting) are jaw dropping to me. There was a script written and given away by a very good xsi user named J_j that allows the use of advanced rigs and guides, so nock that off the list of missing features!:thumbsup: Quite powerfull too.

HellBorn
09-30-2004, 08:26 AM
Thank's.
Now that I did know that there should be old posts of this I tred to search again with other words and got a nice hit so I need no more help.

Atyss
09-30-2004, 10:55 AM
How much Poser costs?

Savi
09-30-2004, 09:03 PM
How much Poser costs?
took me a 10 sec google earch to find this dude http://store.curiouslabs.com/trade/productlist/58/

:)

Atyss
09-30-2004, 09:15 PM
My question was intended to help Hellboy realise that for just a little more than twice the price of Poser, you get a high-end software that can do so, so much more, not to know the price of Poser :twisted:

Cheers
Bernard

SheepFactory
09-30-2004, 09:30 PM
funny timesw we are living in when xsi gets compared to poser in price. Had someone said so last year i would have called him crazy :)

DimitrisLiatsos
10-01-2004, 12:17 PM
U can say that again....

powerwave3d
10-01-2004, 12:57 PM
When you put things further into perspective, the learning material is $280 that comes with Foundation. So, in reality, Poser is more expensive than XSI... Talk about crazy...

HellBorn
10-04-2004, 06:13 AM
;)

A wile ago it would rather be the price of XSI that would scare me off.
Now that one can afford it it's rather all the menus and options.

Rabid pitbull
10-04-2004, 06:40 AM
It seems overwhelming at first, but there is a lot of built in training from the help system to the pdf files, and if you dont hesitate the excellent dvd's. I suggest you download the trial if you haven't already and check out some of the 3dbuzz.com video tutorials, as well as the many tutorials around the web. As with all 3d applications there is a learning curve, xsi's isn't as bad as you might think. Xsi is very powerful and may seem different at first but after a week or two it becomes very natural. The workfow of this program is very well designed with efficiency in mind. Try it you will like it.:thumbsup:

zen
10-05-2004, 05:28 PM
"As getting god character joints is important to me. What am I missing in not having 'Advanced Rigs, Guides and Motion deform'. On a demo video I saw they connected a cluster to a cheek bone in order to effect the chins when the mouth was opening (somwhat like the Animation Master smart skin). Can I do this in Foundation or is that what they call Motion Deform. So what is the functionality that I will miss when I wont have 'Advanced Rigs, Guides and Motion deform' and I have a focus on setting up god character joints."

you could learn to rig. The included "advanced rigs" and bipeds and so on are not hard-coded like biped is in max, i think this is mostly misunderstood in xsi. You could build them from scratch. Learning basic rigging will greatly empower your animating.
you dont need to learn to script. Bones, weights, constraints and simple expressions can make excellent rigs

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.