PDA

View Full Version : patching

seasterling
09-30-2004, 01:47 AM
so how do you generate a patch from 4 curves? :banghead:

onlooker
09-30-2004, 02:20 AM
so how do you generate a patch from 4 curves? :banghead:

Have you tried reading the directions yet?

seasterling
09-30-2004, 02:51 AM
Yes, have you read the directions on these boards?

onlooker
09-30-2004, 05:00 AM
Well have you tried this approach?

Help

Spline Patch Tool

Patching generates a grid of polygons making a smooth surface defined by 3 or 4 edge curves.

To make a Spline Patch do the following:

1) Use the Curve drawing tool to draw curves that cross correctly.
2) ON the modo Tools toolbar, click the Curve tab.
3) On the Tools section, click the Patch button.
4) In the viewport click the curve edges, then use the patch handles to drag out the patches.
1) The user can click on a sequence of edges to define each patch area.

You can interactively adjust the control points on the curve while the patches are remade to follow the new contours. You can pick edges and set the number of segments for that edge as the patching updates to match. Patching should generate UVs that follow the grid of quads generated for each patch.

Patch tool options include:

Mode Extend - Extend selected edge.
Move Knot - Move selected knot.
Move Edge - Move selected edge.

Knots The number of knots for sides to extend.
Start Control Vertex: The flag for side curves to extend.
End Control Vertex: The flag for side curves to extend.

Perpendicular The number of division along to perpendicular side.
Parallel The number of division along to parallel side.

Save Boundaries: Make the boundary curves.
Freeze: Make spline patched polygons.

Keyboard Shortcut :

***--

Menu Path :

modo Tools toolbar > Curve tab > Patch button

I think that is how it's done. ;)

seasterling
09-30-2004, 05:34 AM
Have you actually successfully done it?
Curves in general seem either really buggy or really unintuitive.
Any way to join two existing curves?
Split an existing curve?
Add or subtract points to an existing curve? (adding points is possible but I am getting some really inconsistent, bizarre behavior when I try to add points)

onlooker
09-30-2004, 05:42 AM
I have not gotten that far into it. I just tested it to see what it looked like. I didn't try to patch model a head or anything. I just hit the patch button and pulled out the blue boxes from the where you extend. I never really saw patches work like that, but I've never strayed from Nurbs patching either.

But I remember thinking that after I pulled out the patch that the curve really didn't seem that important after pulling because it was more like an odd extrude that you could pull in many directions from any one of the control boxes. I thought it was kind of cool for the most part. I wasn't sure how I would use it yet, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

seasterling
09-30-2004, 05:48 AM
Yeah, I can extend a patch off of a single curve, but can't seem to generate one from multiple curves. Hopefully the vids will provide some info when they arrive, or maybe one of the Lux guys can chime in.

LFGabel
09-30-2004, 08:03 AM
If it's anything like Lightwave's Modeler, the multiple curves need to share the same vertexes where the curves intersect.

That might be what is meant when it says to make "curves that cross correctly".

shade
09-30-2004, 07:45 PM
Well, I have stumpled kinda in a same situation.. I managed to make a simple patch
from 4 curves, but when making a curves little harder, Im not succeeding? Anyone
able to shed some light in this problem?

JulesB
09-30-2004, 08:22 PM
Before even getting to patching, I don't understand why when, for instance, I start to draw a curve in the Front view on the XY plane the first point sits correctly on the 0 point between -Z and +Z, but then the second and third and so on points wander into -Z. Same applies if I draw in the Right view, but the points after the first wander into -X. Bizarre and unintuitive, imho, but I will also admit I haven't checked the manual on this point. It just seems like it should be obvious how it behaves, and why anyway would it create a bent curve in the direction perpendicular to the one you are drawing in? Makes no sense to me.

Julian.

Dion Burgoyne
09-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Here's a quick example of a patch being created.

patching.zip (http://www.afilmdream.com/modo/patching.zip)

1. Create either 3 or 4 curves
2. Join the end verticies to each other forming the outline of your patch
3. Select the patch tool
4. Under "tool properties" and on mode, select "define patch"
5. At this point your knots will appear, select the knots in the order you want the patch to go
6. When you've selected the last one in the loop (3 or 4) the patch will be created
7. If you change mode from "define patch" to "move knots" you can change the flow of the poly's etc..

seasterling
09-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks Dion. So the points have to actually be joined and not just coincident. I'm still having trouble though. Modo is crashing consistently when trying to make patches from some curves. Haven't found a common denominator yet.

btw Dion, could you answer any of the other questions I posted regarding curves in this thread yesterday. It's kind of tough not being able to split or join curves, or add or subtract points from a curve.

Thanks.

mav3rick
09-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Dion i also got q. regarding splines.... if i create patches and i drop patch tool and if i want to acces move knot like the one i accesed while i was creating patches how can i reach that level of move knot... when i press move knot later i get knots on each polygon rather than on spline cage?

seasterling
09-30-2004, 11:27 PM
JulesB, I get this too. After messing around though, it seems to only happen in a saved layout. When I revert the the default modo Layout the goofiness stops. I wonder if some of the other curve wierdness I am seeing is related to the layout? Dion?

Dion Burgoyne
09-30-2004, 11:48 PM

You can join the verticies on two curves, but you can't make two curves into one unless you freeze and select the points and make open curve.

Split an existing curve?

The best way to do this is to freeze the curve and reselect the point for a new curve.

Under mode, select "add" then select a point on the curve, and click somewhere, this will add another point to the curve
Add or subtract points to an existing curve? (adding points is possible but I am getting some really inconsistent, bizarre behavior when I try to add points)
I'm not entirely sure what you are seeing there, best thing to do is send an e-mail with screenshots etc... to cs@luxology.com . I'm not seeing any real issues with adding or removing points from a curve, however, it does seem to be inconsistant where it puts them in screen Z space.

seasterling
10-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Thanks Dion, but in both cases, why freeze the curve?

I think the easiest workflow for me right now is to kill the curve, draw a new curve by snapping new verts to old verts, then merge verts. You'll still lose continuity, though you could tweak it with a bezier curve. Guess this is my first feature request :D

Oh, is there some workflow for getting curves out of Maya into modo?

Thanks again.

Dion Burgoyne
10-01-2004, 12:53 AM
Yes, that's probably a better choice, with all due honesty I rarely use curves in modeling, but I will definitely add your comments to our development list. Currently there aren't any plans for taking the curves out of maya into modo, however the Maya import/export tool is always evolving so we'll have to see if it is possible to do that. Thanks for the input!

armr
10-01-2004, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasterling

you can make two curves into one using the poly.merge tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasterling
Split an existing curve?

A trick is: 1. Select all your curves edges
2. Extend them with a zero value
> It breaks your curve into segmented curves
3. Cut and paste them into a new layer
4. Select the segments you want to join and apply a "merge poly"
5. It will join all the 2 points curves into one.

milohas3Dee
10-01-2004, 11:23 AM
ok, modo Pacher can patch 4 connected curves with merged vertices between them. now.. do any1 know how Auto Pacher MK from LW works? I`ll tell u, when u make group of 10,20,50,100...etc splines wich are connected on right way AutoPacherMK only with one click can make poly mesh out of this splines. in modo`s Patch tool u have to click 4 times on blue boxes to patch one group of 4 splines...! how many times I have to click on group of 50 splines!? :eek: is there is a way to automate this proces :sad: btw I also found Make Spline Pach (poly.makePatch) tool in modo but it also do the samo job like Pach tool but there is no interactive controls. the solution for a bunch of spline patching problems will be interactive Auto Pacher MK tool !!! :wise: :) of course this is my opinion...

milohas3Dee
10-01-2004, 11:25 AM
ok, modo Patcher can patch 4 connected curves with merged vertices between them. now.. do any1 know how Auto Patcher MK from LW works? I`ll tell u, when u make group of 10,20,50,100...etc splines wich are connected on right way AutoPatcherMK only with one click can make poly mesh out of this splines. in modo`s Patch tool u have to click 4 times on blue boxes to patch only one group of 4 splines...! how many times I have to click on group of 50 splines!? :eek: is there is a way to automate this proces :sad: btw I also found Make Spline Patch (poly.makePatch) tool in modo but it also do the samo job like Patch tool but there is no interactive controls. the solution for a bunch of spline patching problems will be interactive Auto Pacther MK tool !!! :wise: :) of course this is only my opinion...

shade
10-01-2004, 12:56 PM
Yes I agree. Splines definitely need some more love from devs :) I was planning to hope in and start doing new car model with modo, but cause Im so used to use spline-cage for the roughing the basic form but after testing spline modelling in modo, I doubt Im gonna start it yet. I have never used autopatcher in LW, but I use makeSplinePatch, which is perhaps little more time consuming, but with that I have more control over AutoPatcher. Perhaps some easier spline control's and ability to make splines from several splines. I mean the surfaceable area could be "bordered" with 4 splines, but that those splines could continue and you could move to next area which needs to be surfaced.. Hmm do I even understand myself what Im writing?

onimusqa
10-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Before even getting to patching, I don't understand why when, for instance, I start to draw a curve in the Front view on the XY plane the first point sits correctly on the 0 point between -Z and +Z, but then the second and third and so on points wander into -Z. Same applies if I draw in the Right view, but the points after the first wander into -X. Bizarre and unintuitive, imho, but I will also admit I haven't checked the manual on this point. It just seems like it should be obvious how it behaves, and why anyway would it create a bent curve in the direction perpendicular to the one you are drawing in? Makes no sense to me.

Julian.

I had the same problem, but and then later realized that if you click without dragging.. then all points will lay on the same axis. Your first click will sit on a "0". On your second click, or sequencial clicks.. make sure you do not move the mouse at all when you click! The points will all rest on the same plane. Hope this works for you.

BertD
10-03-2004, 09:00 AM
I had the same problem, but and then later realized that if you click without dragging.. then all points will lay on the same axis. Your first click will sit on a "0". On your second click, or sequencial clicks.. make sure you do not move the mouse at all when you click! The points will all rest on the same plane. Hope this works for you.

I have that problem here as well. The first point of a curve will sit on "0" but all sequential clicks lay at the same negative numbers, something like 0, -29 ,-29, 29,...
Doesn't matter if I try not to move the mouse.

Bert

JulesB
10-03-2004, 10:40 AM
I have that problem here as well. The first point of a curve will sit on "0" but all sequential clicks lay at the same negative numbers, something like 0, -29 ,-29, 29,...
Doesn't matter if I try not to move the mouse.

Bert
No, I wasn't dragging either - subsequent clicks laid down points on the negative axis perpendicular to the plane I was working on. Whereas the first is always at 0. Oddly enough (or not!) Modo crashed shortly after, and when I restarted Modo, all points were laid down correctly. Trying it again now, but it's working OK.

Julian.

seasterling
10-03-2004, 05:02 PM
BertD & JulesB: Are you using the default modo layout? I posted this previously, but just curious because I only see this behavior with a custom layout, if I restore the default modo layout points lay down corrrectly.

BertD
10-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Yep, you're right, doesn't happen when using Modo default layout.
So, that's a bug then.

Bert

harlan_hill
10-04-2004, 02:10 AM
Hmmm... save your "modo Default" layout as something else (ie: DefaultOld, effectively making a backup), switch back to your customized layout and then save it as the "modo Default". Still have the problem??

ciao

seasterling
10-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Haven't tried that, but it seems like the problem creeps in after switching layouts. Sometimes when I launch modo with a custom layout loaded I don't get the wierdness until I switch Layouts a few times.

I'm also having other problems with layouts.
Having a layout loaded that includes background images, when I load an object I lose the BG images but not the layout.
Sometimes when going to change layouts, modo quits when I click on the menu bar. This also causes me to lose my dock in OSX. btw I've been running OSX since its first preview and have never had an application crash that affected another application or the OS, so this one concerns me a bit.

seasterling
10-06-2004, 09:55 PM
For what it is worth:
Patching seems quite buggy. I have found that if I select the curve in poly mode, delete the curve, select points and rebuild using the make open curve tool that I get much better patching results (modo doesn't bomb). The curve tool just doesn't seem to build reliable curves for some reason.

Make sure your end points are joined as well or modo may crash.

modo doesn't consider a segment of a curve, your curves must be joined at the end of each curve.

If the patching nodes are not highlighting correctly, don't keep clicking and try to force it ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.