PDA

View Full Version : Character Designer

Kaiser_Sose
08-13-2002, 02:36 AM
I dont know to much about XSI so I wanted to know what the idea behind character designer is

Is it a full fledge character builder or something that gives you a shape where to model by

If its the former isnt odd pressing a few buttons and getting a complete character head done

EdHarriss
08-13-2002, 12:46 PM
Bodymaker/Character Designer are "like" premade models, but with a lot of controls. Much like the premade rigs that come with XSI. (I.E. They save you a lot of time.)

Kaiser_Sose
08-13-2002, 12:59 PM
Doesnt it defeat its purpose

You can have identical characters running around in movies, television, shorts without knowing about and without being able to claim rights to it

dmonk
08-13-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Kaiser_Sose
Doesnt it defeat its purpose

You can have identical characters running around in movies, television, shorts without knowing about and without being able to claim rights to it

So what.
Think about a producer who doesn'r have the time for modelers to spend days modeling a specific character. I believe you can customize the characters faces and bodies so they wouldn't all be the same not to mention clothing and different animations. It saves alot of time for characters that will only be in the background.

john
08-14-2002, 12:48 AM
as we edge ever closer to a "make art now" button

swampthing
08-14-2002, 01:24 AM
You can debate what's "art" till your blue in the face but that doesn't get the project done any quicker when your under a deadline. And that's all that matters when your working for money. In your free time feel free not to use whatever time saving shortcuts you deem as "non art" all you want.

I tell ya, real professionals won't hesitate to use whatever they can to get something done within a time frame. CG is all about cutting corners and yet getting acceptable results.

dmonk
08-14-2002, 03:10 AM
I hate this attitude that some people get.

when you have the time, yeah make your character from scratch.

But when the guys that signs your check is standing over your shoulder and need 8 different characters for extras by tomorrow. you make do so witht he shortcut to meet the deadline. If the boss man loves it then who then whats the big deal.

To add to that, I don't think many people get the full potential of things like the facemaker and character designer in xsi. Yes it does alot of the work for you but you don't have to stop there you can always go in and tweak to model to look however you want. My budy uses the face maker to rough out alot of his characters and I think his stuff turns out great.

This whole thing just kinda hit a button with me because I was one of the guys that used to look down on these kinda premade character things but after mess around with them they really come in handy especially when you have deadlines and for anyone who actually has a job in production I'm sure they can understand.

Just my 2bits sorry for the rant.:D

wmendez
08-14-2002, 05:03 AM
I agree, why reinvent the wheel when time and $$ is of the essence.

daniforever
08-14-2002, 09:00 AM
I dislike tools like 'make-o-face' or 'body-matics' :p because its results are not original ('hey look, another XSI automatic model...').

I know deadlines made a lot of pressure. For this is useful to model when there's free time, a good, basic human rigged model ready to be modified as necessary. This way we can be on time and also offer our own work.

Treasure your best models, they'll save you in next future. If you think there are objets that market requiere commonly model it before they ask for it.

Reading this you could picture me the first time I watched Poser... brrrrr :annoyed:

dmonk
08-14-2002, 12:50 PM
poser is a different story.:shame:

But if your a decent modeler you can get pretty original stuff from those tools.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.