PDA

View Full Version : Character: Korean Club Chick "Hyo"

LordDubu
09-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Hyo here is 9 of a series of 10 girls I've been doing to teach myself painting in photoshop. 100% of the work is done in photoshop via a wacom graphire. Pose, and composition-wise Hyo is the first girl I've been happy enough with to get vulnerable and open myself up to some harsh professional critique.

Keep in mind she is literally my 9th completed painting using entirely digital means...

One final note, since I know someone is going to comment on it... yes the sketchiness is intentional, my traditional style is sketchy, so is my digital style.

I'm happy with this piece, but I just know I could be happier with it. I'm sure my work could definately benefit from the wise sages around here... and now without further ado:

"Hyo"
by
Yi HiSoo

http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs5/i/2004/273/d/b/NalNalLi_Grrl_Hyo_by_Lord_Dubu.jpg

If anyone is interested in seeing the rest of the girls in the series, PM me and I will be happy to forward you a link to my DeviantArt gallery.

SlashTen
09-30-2004, 06:52 PM
The brush strokes in the shading, especially on her thighs and stomach, kind of looked like cellulite at the first glance. It was quite frightening at first and made me think more of a saggy woman soliciting on a street corner than a girl in a club.

/slash

LordDubu
09-30-2004, 07:24 PM
The model i used for reference was meaty in the thighs and stomach. No cellulite, but definately not kate-moss flat and smooth.

That being said, what about my technique do you think would have looked more like brush strokes and less like fat-dimples?

Trenox
09-30-2004, 07:35 PM
Great style man - i really like that she's not the generic-supermodel type. Adds so much more character. Despite the intentioned sketchy'ness (is that a word? :P) im not too keen on the white areas at the back of her head - looks too much like ugly cut'n-paste lines. I guess its supposed to be rimlights, but try and make the transition a little smoother maybe, and a bit colored.

but really great stuff =)

LordDubu
09-30-2004, 07:52 PM
Thanks, and now that you mention it, I see too how that white line kind of makes it look a bit cutsy pasty. I probably just need to move that highlight inside the lineart... and it should look a trillion time better.

Yourworstnightmare
10-24-2004, 09:55 PM
She looks like a cheap whore!

Tighten up the colors. Make it like a render, unless your going for the sketch look. And try to make here look more beautiful and not like a prostitute.

Savage_Henry
10-24-2004, 10:14 PM
Dubu!

hey buddy....long time no talk.
I don't know what K-clubs you're hanging out in...but I think you should stay out of those back alleys in Itaewon. You're only looking for an expensive evening hanging out with gals who dress like that.

That being said, I think the pose is interesting but I think a "C" shape would be a little more dynamic than the "S" shape you have now. Moving her Shoulder and head more to the right would make her seem a little less aloof, and give her more direction. Don't know if that makes sense or not.

BG looks great!!

LordDubu
10-25-2004, 01:28 AM
Hey! What's up man! Yeah, true enough, there were no women like her in the club you took me too last time I was in Seoul :) But that bartender was pretty hot in her own way.

I was kind of going for aloof, so I guess I accomplished that much. Her outfit is over the top... but I just liked the pose too much to hide it behind so much cloth. Originally I was going to haver her wearing a completely concealing school girl outfit. But I liked the model's body too much to cover it up.

LordDubu
10-25-2004, 01:30 AM
She looks like a cheap whore!

Tighten up the colors. Make it like a render, unless your going for the sketch look. And try to make here look more beautiful and not like a prostitute.
Ever consider the fact "cheap whore" might have been the look I'm going for. Were you trying to be constructive, or antagonistic. It's pretty hard to tell.

Savage_Henry
10-27-2004, 01:07 AM
Hey! What's up man! Yeah, true enough, there were no women like her in the club you took me too last time I was in Seoul :) But that bartender was pretty hot in her own way.

I was kind of going for aloof, so I guess I accomplished that much. Her outfit is over the top... but I just liked the pose too much to hide it behind so much cloth. Originally I was going to haver her wearing a completely concealing school girl outfit. But I liked the model's body too much to cover it up.
Fair enough.
If aloof is what you're going for you nailed it.
I was looking at her facial features too...and she really doesn't look asain.
Might be something to think about too

Keep it up though....more updates!

LordDubu
10-27-2004, 05:40 AM
What specifically doesn't look Asian to you about her. I thought she looked a lot like some of the girls you see on Korean soaps, only punked out a little...

Not being confrontational, just curious what you're taking exception to, because even my Korean wife thought she was a dead ringer for Korean.

Savage_Henry
10-28-2004, 12:02 AM
What specifically doesn't look Asian to you about her. I thought she looked a lot like some of the girls you see on Korean soaps, only punked out a little...

Not being confrontational, just curious what you're taking exception to, because even my Korean wife thought she was a dead ringer for Korean.
I'd say the jawline right off the bat. Korea chicks are notorious for a very strong jawline. Nearly masculine. I see that this chick is a little plump....but still. I think The rest looks great. The eyes, mouth, and nose are all fine...but fixing that jaw would really nail it for me.:thumbsup:

operaguy
11-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Yi HiSoo,

Forgive my lack of criticism, if that is the function requested here, I need to express enjoyment.

Your talent to convey a personality with a line is on display. This is evident even in your sig self-portriat, but it really comes though in this depiction of this sullen girl with attitude. Or is a girl with attitude who is sullen today?

I hope you won't yeild to the call to let your sketchy style fade in the digital medium. The edges of electronic media need roughening up. Don't people hunger for texture any more? I'm certainly glad you do.

Most digital artists, far from transcending, succumb to the dictates of the pixel. They are trapped inside the pixel. Happily, this apparently never occured to you, and you've brought your tactile sensibility in, along with a very rare skill...to convey truth and aliveness. For instance, I'd love to see Hyo come to life and have an argument with someone, mood that she's in. It'd be snapish.

How can we see more of your ladies?

::::: Opera :::::

LordDubu
11-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Thanks alot. I appreciate the vote of support. Actually the girl in my avatar isn't a self-portrait, but just my favorite girl in the series of girls that Hyo was part of. If you do want to see her and the rest of the girls I've got them all in my DA account here:

http://lord-dubu.deviantart.com/gallery/?type=browse&offset=24

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.