PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA driver speed issue

DominikSusmel
09-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Modo is really neat :) I must confess I hated it frist few tries....but as you uncover things it gets better and better :)
Apart from trackball rotation which came from HELL (which luckly I found how/where to turn off), one thing bugs me... modo is really slow...
compared to Maya and LW Modeler I use here it is definitively slow... cards in use are GeForce 2 MX, 5950U and 6800... it's not unusable slow, but comared to LW and Maya it is really slow...

since it uses OpenGL, I've tried to turn off VSynch (which usually speeds up things)...but nothing helped

Steve McRae
09-29-2004, 08:26 PM
there may be something wrong with ur setup

I have found Modo to be MUCH faster than Lightwave with the same model.

LW is not really in the same ballpark when it comes to openGL stuff as Modo and especially Maya.

DominikSusmel
09-29-2004, 08:30 PM
hmm.. setup is not wrong, because it's confirmed on 3 separate computers/setups and one of which is not even my own setup ;)

Steve McRae
09-29-2004, 08:34 PM
it must be a GeForce issue then . . .

DominikSusmel
09-29-2004, 08:39 PM
quite possibly. Not that GeForce's are bad, quite contrary! it seems that modo's renderer is coded in a way that is not optimized for Geforce cards or something

Steve McRae
09-29-2004, 08:41 PM
yeah - probably optimized more for the quadro series

kursad_pileksuz
09-29-2004, 09:00 PM
i used modo on geforce 4 4200 , i thoguth it was slow with subd, then i decided to upgrade to an ati card, which is 9800 pro. i am getting good speed for general models. but i have not tried crazy poly numbers

Pazur
09-29-2004, 09:38 PM
modo should be faster then LW in openGL. At least that's how it is on my machine (GF4 Ti 4800). It might be slower if You have Vertex Arrays off and modo switches it off automatically if You have "bad drivers". Possibly You're slow because of the nvidia driver issue. I use 42.51 drivers and it's pretty smooth.

Xacto
09-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Modo SCREAMS on the mac! It could be your computer config.... (memory, card, ect..)

bradpeebler
09-30-2004, 12:17 AM
The issue is related to the nvidia driver bug. There are speed optimizations in modo that cause the nvidia drivers on GEFORCE cards to crash. NVIDIA is working on a solution already and we communicate with them daily. When this fix is released you should be able to use vertex arrays again which will improve editing performance significantly.

Thanks for your patience.

BP

mav3rick
09-30-2004, 01:25 AM
poor Brad.... you must be crazy of answering same thing on hundrets of threads:)... hope nvidia give out fix so you can sleep tight :) keep on rocking i already love working in modo. good investment.

DominikSusmel
09-30-2004, 01:31 AM
quick fix: revert to old drivers ;) shame I can't do that since I'm in middle of production sensitive to "Cg" support...damn

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.