PDA

View Full Version : Digital Painting- Help please :)

incogn1tos
09-29-2004, 06:20 PM
My girlfriends birthday is coming up in november and she's having a giant event for it called a debut.
(She's fillipino so anyone here whos flip should have an idea of how big it is. For those of you who don't its the second biggest event in her life behind marriage)

She's always wanted me to do something artistic for her but the only thing I'm really good at is photomanips. I really want to do a digital painting for her. Something like... the two of us on a tall mountian-esq pillar with a beuatiful landscape surrounding us and a ligh shining down from the heavens at the two of us.

Anyway my only problem is I really have zilch knowledge on digital painting... I can kind of paint for real but not that great, I'm better at digital stuff...

Anyone know where I can get any simple tutorials which simply explain it from a basic standpoint and work its way up?

Most tutorials I see already assume your good at digital painting and they are just to tone your skills.

Elysian
09-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Here is a great E-book for you; Learn How to Paint in 1 month.
I was a really lousy painter until I followed the instructions and I was able to paint lifelike paintings (including portraits) in only 5 weeks.
Two weeks later I won my first awards and now 6 months later I'm opening my first exposition in a New York art gallery. Try it, it's THAT good!

www.graphico.com/downloads/learn_how_to_paint_in_1_month.pdf (http://www.graphico.com/downloads/learn_how_to_paint_in_1_month.pdf)

incogn1tos
09-29-2004, 07:38 PM
hmm.. bad url? it wont load for me...

thanks though :)

kraal
09-29-2004, 08:04 PM
"Anyway my only problem is I really have zilch knowledge on digital painting... I can kind of paint for real but not that great, I'm better at digital stuff...

Anyone know where I can get any simple tutorials which simply explain it from a basic standpoint and work its way up?

Most tutorials I see already assume your good at digital painting and they are just to tone your skills."

ok i am gonna say this but it may come out wrong. the fact that you say you cannot paint great is just that you cannot paint great.... a computer wont help..... most tutorial dont assume you are good at digital painting how ever they do assume you are good at painting.....

if you were to rephrase you question to say I am no good at oil painting but i have to paint a master piece can you teach me how? would you expect a different answer.... a computer is just a tool.

i guess the main question is why does she expect something artistic from you?and if you are good a photo manips then why not just do that?

incogn1tos
09-29-2004, 08:23 PM
It dosnt come off wrong, but I do in fact know alot of people who can't paint in real media, but can do wonders with digital. there seems to be only a loose connection between the two and a preconception that skill in one is needed for the other.

My problem with the tutorials is that they do seem to assume. Most tutorials go from step A to C without explaining B which is in the middle which often leaves people at D (being anywhere but here) wondering whats so important about step B that so many people from A know how to pass it.

And I don't want to do a photomanip because as far as gifts go they seem kinda cheesey when compared to a digi painting goes.

still this may be one of those things where I'll have to just sit in awe at everyone elses stuff. Still I don't mind. That can keep me plenty busy hehe.

kraal
09-29-2004, 08:49 PM
i look at it like this .... i personally can not oil paint but i can airbrush and water color..... i transfered what i know about airbrushing to digital so to me it is still just the tool..... however now i see you actually acknowldge alot of facts about digital art and skill ect .... maybe you should post what you can do and someone may be able to give direction from there..... honestly tho anything short of ordering a dvd from gnomon to see something done step by step in real time alot of it is just playing and guessing....

one of my art teachers told me it is not important to draw a subject as it is to convince your adience that you drew that subject

Elysian
09-29-2004, 08:53 PM
My first post was a joke and knowing that might help you to understand what I was trying to say.
Sometimes it's the only way to make someone wake up from his wet dream. It doesn't mean that you will never be able to be a descent painter... but dude... be serious will ya... you only have a few weeks to go.

RowanW
10-03-2004, 12:59 PM
My first post was a joke and knowing that might help you to understand what I was trying to say.
Don't lie! That's just mean. :sad:

Elysian
10-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Don't lie! That's just mean. :sad:It's not a lie, it was a very obvious joke. I can't help it if the guy doesn't get it, quote;

"hmm.. bad url? it wont load for me... Thanks though :) "

jumbo
10-04-2004, 01:08 AM
I have some experience with digital painting. I hope I can help you some. To start off with, you ough to try the background. Not only is it easier than jumping right into making people, it might do if time runs out. The first thing to do is to decide what you want to make. You seem to have a general idea, but what about the landscape? Do you want to see an ocean, trees, more mountains, a combination of all three, something completely different? It's up to you. I have more experience making background trees than anything else. If this is a direction you are considering with the backdrop, try this technique. I would make a bluish gradient for the sky, in a separate layer, first.

1. Go to the brushes pallette.

2. Take a regular, round brush and modify it in the "brush tip shapes" to the following specifications:
a). Angle = 90
b). Roundness = 0%
c). Hardness = 0%
d). Spacing = 1%

3. Take this brush and get it to the size you want. Pick a nice greenish color that is a value showing distance, (mixed with background color).

4. Now you want to take your mouse, (or tablet), and wiggle the brush up and down as you move across the area where you want your trees. This wiggling will create trees. Keep compostition in mind here.

5. When you are done with that patch of trees, take the eraser tool, make it large and as soft as you can get it, (you may even want to lower its flow), and erase along the bottom edge of the trees you just created. Don't worry if a little of the shorter trees get a little erased, but try to keep the treetops from being faded by the erasing. This step is needed for the layer of mist that separates the layers of trees.

6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 on the same patch just a little lower this time.

7. Now you may want to change to a slightly richer value, a slightly larger brush, and a new layer. Do so after two or three layers of trees.

8. Repeat steps 4-7 again and again.

I hope this helps; sorry I can't post any pictures right now, but this should give you a head start. The best advise, like Kraal mentioned, is to paint like you would on a real canvas. I have gotten advise from painting shows; the same principles apply on the computer. I've painted some, but I've done much more on the computer. It's doable, it just takes some art skill, some time and familiarity with your medium of choice, (Photoshop). Start small and work your way up to the grand center piece. I wish you sucess.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.