PDA

View Full Version : I am interested in modo.

n0s4ra2
09-29-2004, 01:21 PM
I searched for these questions before I waste everyone’s time. By answering the same questions over and over. So I hope I didn’t over look them if they have been answered before.

How does modo handle uvs? If I have a model that is in obj format with UV imbedded how do I import - export that model with the UV still in place?

In lw8 I have to go to surface editor and set them up. So my question is how does modo handle this?

If I have a light wave 8 file with endomorphs set up can modo open that file with the morphs still in place?

I have an ati video card 9800 pro. Will this work ok with modo?

And my final question.

Is modo’s cut tool like lightwave where I must cut all the way threw an object? Or does it have a cut tool like Maya or max where I can split one poly a crossed or diagonally?

Thanks for your time and responses in advance.

Dion Burgoyne
09-29-2004, 03:52 PM
How does modo handle uvs? If I have a model that is in obj format with UV imbedded how do I import - export that model with the UV still in place?

Just load it :)

In lw8 I have to go to surface editor and set them up. So my question is how does modo handle this?

Simply use any of the create UV tools, select any number of polygons project from view etc...

If I have a light wave 8 file with endomorphs set up can modo open that file with the morphs still in place?

Yes

I have an ati video card 9800 pro. Will this work ok with modo?

Very well...

Is modo’s cut tool like lightwave where I must cut all the way threw an object? Or does it have a cut tool like Maya or max where I can split one poly a crossed or diagonally?

You can either slice through, slice loop, slice part of a loop, or cut up any poly individually however you like

:D

Vertizor
09-30-2004, 08:27 PM
I have a few more random presales questions, rather than starting a new thread I'll just add them here.

1. When I buy Modo, does it come as a dual platform package? So if I have both Mac and PC and Mac at home can I run it on both machines? LW provides install files for both platforms and one dongle so we can only use it on one computer at a time. That's the same affect I'm looking for.

2. Is/will there [be] an SDK to write plug-ins that go beyond the scope of scripts? For example, to attach an external renderer. More importantly, can we write our own file export plug-ins (or if scripts alone can do this) to custom file formats (a treat for game dev'ers).

Dion Burgoyne
09-30-2004, 09:12 PM
1. When I buy Modo, does it come as a dual platform package? So if I have both Mac and PC and Mac at home can I run it on both machines? LW provides install files for both platforms and one dongle so we can only use it on one computer at a time. That's the same affect I'm looking for.
Yes, you can run it on any machine. We have no dongle so you don't have to transfer anything between machines to switch

2. Is/will there [be] an SDK to write plug-ins that go beyond the scope of scripts? For example, to attach an external renderer. More importantly, can we write our own file export plug-ins (or if scripts alone can do this) to custom file formats (a treat for game dev'ers).
Yes, in fact if you look into the "scripts and macro's" section, there is already several neat perl scripts that you can use, technically external scripting is only partially supported, however Griffon has already written a RIB exporter, and I've managed to write a Neverwinter Nights .MDL importer (although I'm not a programmer) to be released soon. As soon as it's possible the SDK will be released. However, there is a 65 page PDF file that comes with modo that explains the details of scripting for it.

Vertizor
09-30-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the replies Dion. Hopefully my next paycheck will get here before the intro pricing expires... *fingers crossed*

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.