PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP ME!!! (Vehicle rendering)

Ben Bullen
09-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Hi all... I hope someone can help me!

I really need to learn how to get that wonderful glossy finish to vehicles that everyone manages to get.

I have tried to find tutorials on the subject but I never get the same results...

I have tried tutorials such as skylighting, adding metallic surfaces, and lights etc, but I still dont get that "showroom" finish to the surfaces...

ALSO...

Can someone teach me how to create realistic looking headlights and tail lights?? Mine look flat and useless... I especially would like to learn how to make modern style halogen lights)... PLEASE HELP ME!!! :(

rlemoine
09-30-2004, 10:03 AM
What software are you using and what renderer may point us in a better direction here.

Ben Bullen
09-30-2004, 11:41 AM
SORRY! I forgot to mention...

I have 3D Studio max 6 (and would like to take advantage of built in final render - if its good!)

Mustard Duster
10-06-2004, 10:37 PM
http://www.danielbuck.net/index.php?page=tutorials

Hope that helps

azazel
10-07-2004, 11:56 AM
here (photos 11-14) you can see how it's done in real life - seems there's no blurry reflections, car is probably shiny and reflective as ever - it's the environment that looks soft:

http://www.stern.de/sport-motor/autowelt/index.html?id=524954&nv=fs&cp=14

Ben Bullen
10-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks for these... They kind of help... But I've seen these tutorials before - If you look at the carpaint1 tutorial, I tried to copy what he said in the tutorial but mine looked NOTHING like his final renders... I dont know what im doing wrong with HDRI...

Also, the tutorial on headlights isn't great in my opinion... It was a good starting point, but Im still looking to make more modern looking headlights... Halogen lights...

Any hints??

Thanks

Ben

mora
10-08-2004, 03:36 AM
posted by Ben Bullen
I have 3D Studio max 6 (and would like to take advantage of built in final render - if its good!)
Whoah! I did'nt know max 6 shipped with Final Render!!! Hey wait a minute I read the manuals...:eek: I think you ment mental ray:)

Ben Bullen
10-08-2004, 06:40 PM
yes ok fine... clever you... you know more about 3ds than me! i guess i had final render on the brain or something...

It doesnt help the fact that im still trying to learn how to render decent looking cars and noone can point me in the right direction...

Why does my HRDI sky lights look crap!! :(
Is HDRI the best way to do it?

Andrew W
10-09-2004, 03:04 PM
yes ok fine... clever you... you know more about 3ds than me! i guess i had final render on the brain or something...

It doesnt help the fact that im still trying to learn how to render decent looking cars and noone can point me in the right direction...

Why does my HRDI sky lights look crap!! :(
Is HDRI the best way to do it?
If you post a render of your car it will be easier to help you out. It's very hard to give good advice out of context. It could be your shaders are fine but your lighting need work for example. So show us what you've got so far and we'll be able to offer better advice.

Cheers,

Andrew

Ben Bullen
10-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Ok... firstly I am now totally jellous that you work for Framestore... It is a company I dream of working for one day! :(

Secondly... When I have a chance I will sit down and go through the tutorial on HDRI again and psot the results. You will see that basically... HDRi doesn't work (or at least is doesnt on my computer!) :)

Hopefully then you can see where I might be going wrong... Until then, I have loads of work to do and it might be a few days till I get it done! Please keep watching this post!

Thanks

Ben

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.