PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* YET another dual monitor question :P

Layer01
09-29-2004, 04:01 AM
hi (before you ask yes i did do a search) i am trying to configure XSI to work with my dual monitors, both 17" at 1280x1024. at the moment its loading in both then maximising in mon 1 (which is fine) i am very happy with the layout there. but i have all this wasted space on mon2, but i dont want what happens if you set your (nvidia) card to be a single screen spanning accross both monitors (where the whole UI is stretched making the control bar on the right to far away).
what i would like to be able to have is my layout left as is (like on a single mon setup) but with extra stuff in mon2 like F-curve layout, or explorer, or render tree etc...is this at all possible?

ryders
09-29-2004, 06:11 AM
XSI will automatically span both monitors... and you can tweek the panels to your hearts content. That nview single monitor trick was neat, but caused way more problems than it helped to solve. (It made my time tracking program function properly... and xsi wouldn't even open) Anyway, just an option.

Ryder S.

KurtLawson
09-29-2004, 09:25 PM
glad i'm not the only one having issues.

I have 2 fw900 24 inch sonys running 1600X1024.
It will span both moniters and appear to be working correctly, but soft crashes increased by like 500%. also it appears that files created in a single moniter system and saved and vise versa do not like switching to a dual moniter setup. all my files i tested became very unstable.
I had thought it was just trying to push these 2 honkin moniters with the old 900xgl that was flaking it out.

k

Layer01
09-29-2004, 11:42 PM
KurtLawson:
interesting, i haven't noticed the crashing thing yet, but to be honest i haven't really started useing XSI much at all, just been going through the DVD's (sooo long lol) and some 3dbuzz vtm's.....*gasp* so much content so little time lol...but its only recently, as i am about to start digging into the tutes, that i have been thinking about the dual mon issue more seriously.

ryders:
when you say you can tweak the panels, do you mean that you can reposition them anywhere? and if so how? (i haven't gotten to that bit in the manual) is it by using some crazy layout editor that requires you to learn abstract quantum physics or is it simply click and drag?

lots
09-30-2004, 06:24 AM
I have no issues running my system with Nview enabled. Granted i'm a pretty fresh person when it comes to XSI, i've only had it for a little while. But so far it has worked just fine on my system. Though, I'm not using it on both screens.. mostly i am working on one and using the other for web content or instant messaging while i work.. "multi tasking!" :P Im still learning the ins and outs so tailoring the layout to my likeing will come later ;) at which point i probably will try and set up for dual monitors..

BadCRC
10-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Layer01:
I also use dual monitors 2x19" Eizo LCD, and didn't really know which of the display modes to choose (nvidia, nview). But if you look at the options you can have it pretty much they way you want; if you choose the span option, but don't like the way the taskbar spans across both monitors, you can turn that off in options. And You can tell it to open all programs on one monitor, limit programs to one monitor and even have separate options for different applications.

lots
10-01-2004, 08:48 PM
I do want to mention thought, from my experience with dual displays on nvidia hardware, that running under nview is the best way to go about it. Why? I have found that hardware accelleration on the secondary monitor is much faster when nview is controlling the desktop. If you let windows do the desktop spanning its self, using its own generic driver, then I've noticed a significan performance drop on the secondary monitor (at leas in OpenGL applications). It is true you can limit the task bar to just one screen as well.

Changeling
10-22-2004, 10:57 PM
I know it is a long time since this thread was running but... here is a question

I have a 2048 x 1536 primary monitor and an old 1280x1024 monitor off to the side, where i am used to sticking a web browser, and when using max most of the popup menus

eg, layers, materials, lights, rendering etc...

max is then open only on the big baby, maximised.

XSI foundations 4.0 doesn't seem to let the popups go beyond the side of its window.

spanning both monitors, because of their differnet size / res is not an option (is it?).... any ideas

Cheers

watteville
10-24-2004, 12:12 PM
Hi, changeling, coming from max and new to XSI, i found out that you cannot undock parts of the layout. i use it on 1 monitor for now till i know how to handle the edition of the layout. good luck -

Layer01
10-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Layer01:
I also use dual monitors 2x19" Eizo LCD, and didn't really know which of the display modes to choose (nvidia, nview). But if you look at the options you can have it pretty much they way you want; if you choose the span option, but don't like the way the taskbar spans across both monitors, you can turn that off in options. And You can tell it to open all programs on one monitor, limit programs to one monitor and even have separate options for different applications.

oooh nice info there, didnt know that you could customise span mode so much, i will have to look into that :)

Changeling:
nah you cant undock menus/drag out pop-ups and yeah your diff rez monitors wont make spanning that much of an option, best bet (or so they tell me) is to learn how to customise the UI....but meh, it seems to do just fine most of the time in one monitor. your best bet is to use the second for multitasking IE: web browser with tute or VTM or whatever ;)

TapioKa
10-25-2004, 10:14 PM
my mistake...

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.