PDA

View Full Version : How to knockout lineart in a different color?

feeesh
09-28-2004, 11:55 PM
I used to know how to do this but forgot and for the life of me I cant figure it out now and I cant find any tutorials that explain how.

Basically I need to know how, when I scan in some black & White lineart, how would I set Photoshop to change the color of that lineart to say a light brown?

Before you answer, I do know you could put it in it's own channel adn set the channel color to a light brown but I am more looking for something like if I have a figure lineart of a guy smoking a cigarette for example. I keep all the lineart as black but I want to knock out the lines of the smoke trail from the cigarette to be a greyish color. I used to see comic books to this trick alot. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks a bunch!

feeesh

Spritemare
09-29-2004, 12:18 AM
I do things an unorthodox way, but this is my suggestion...create a new layer above your line art layer, then use the selection tool to single out the area you want (like the guy smoking a cigarette). Fill the selection with the color you want, then just play around with the layer settings from the dropdown box in the Layers menu (color burn, multiply, etc) until you get the result you're looking for.

feeesh
09-29-2004, 12:32 AM
Spritemare - thanks, Ive actually tried something similar but when i fill the selection it always seems to be more picelated and the line looks messy rather than it converting the exact lineart to a different color. Which could work ok if Im blending like in Painter but I just want to change certain lines for coloring where I wont blend the lineart like flesh tones and smoke, clothing colors, etc. Kinda like making the lineart a browninsh or lighter color like cartoon cels before they get painted.

jpiraino
09-29-2004, 02:29 AM
try this link:
http://www.hifidesign.com/insider/ii_1103.htm

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.