PDA

View Full Version : Hit me hard

adavies
09-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Hi guys, I know you're good at this http://cgchar.toonstruck.com/forum/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I'm starting to get my animation reel together and I have kind of got to that stage where I need some feedback, if you would be so kind.

I just wanna get the animation side of things to be as good as poss before I start on any new work.

P.S. this is all game stuff, but I wanna aim for other areas too so any advice on how to approach that with regards to me reel would be top.

My Webpage (http://www.mike-walker.co.uk/) (you need the new Divx 5.21) Get Divx Here (http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/)

Cheers Guys http://cgchar.toonstruck.com/forum/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Deathcricket
09-29-2004, 12:23 AM
Wow... That's some really good stuff you got there. I know this is the crit section, but sadly you are so far above my level I really have no crits :( I expecially liked the Witchblade scenes. Everything well done.

I can comment on your choice of music though. I do like how you chose something original and not techno like everyone and their mom does, but it doesn't go well with your scenes. In fact it has the opposite effects and distracts from your reel! I would recommend having some chars maybe dance to the music you have, change it to techno (like everyone else), or have your existing music lower in the background and use more voices and sound effects like you did with that one guy speaking.

Oh yeah and that walk cycle you have on your opening website is flawless! I would like to see his hair bouncing around a bit or waving. But hey, its a video game model and such things are not possible giving your poly budget I imagine.

I'm sure as is, you will have no trouble locating a job. I wish you good luck.

-Deathcricket-

adavies
09-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Deathcricket! I kinda liked the music heh heh, I was tryiung to go for something that wasn't too modern and recognisable, and something more instrumental so it kinda fitted thosecriteria. But I guess it is a little too noticable :D I'll have alook for something a little less distracting then - good point!

RowanW
09-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Well the first thing I noticed about your page is that it's called "Untitled Document", you might want to change that. ;)

The second thing I noticed is that your GIF animation is very appealing, and just by looking at it makes me want to see more of your work, which is a good thing.

Now that I've seen your reel, it's very good, except for the already mentioned reason that the music is very distracting. After a while the music is fine because I get used to it, but at first it's just too full on. I think you should start with someting slow and quiet and let it build up as the viewer gets more settled in.

I thought all of the animation was above par and your in-game sections were just stunning. Some of the roaring from that monster seemed to carry on longer than its scenes did though, perhaps you could edit the roar by making it fade out earlier.

I enjoyed watching it though, there was nothing there that shouldn't have been there.

sforsyth
09-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Not much to crit. One thing that seems to stand out though, is that most of your characters head movements seem very stiff. Like they're movig in unison with the torso, and have no independent movement. They never seem relaxed if you know what I mean.

adavies
09-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Here's anpther update (the music is still under debate so I thought you might like to hear some William Shatner). I've not had time to make any changes yet, Rowan, but that's some good advice. :D

http://www.mike-walker.co.uk/

adavies
09-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Not much to crit. One thing that seems to stand out though, is that most of your characters head movements seem very stiff. Like they're movig in unison with the torso, and have no independent movement. They never seem relaxed if you know what I mean.
Aye, I know what you mean, more overlap, floppyness. I'll go back and have a look at each anim when I know which ones I'm actually gonna end up keeping or replacing.

thanks sforsyth

sforsyth
09-29-2004, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I'm not a good enough animator to nail down the problem I'm afraid, but perhaps just some more arcs in the head movements might help. You'd know better than me though.

Maark Karraen
09-29-2004, 11:17 PM
Well so much for crits, fabulous stuff!
I agree with the music question though, staring at my vast music collection all I can come up with is some old U2 or Indie Math rock, its tough to find something different that won't be noticed right away. 2 suggestions, find some friends who play music and tap them or try the band National Skyline.

(I know this isn't great for the crit forums but what the hey.)
Question, what program(s) do you use and if possible, completely understood if its not, could you post a movie or 2 showing the skeletons, rig, so on?

I'm a sophomore animation student, 3-4 years of self-taught lightwave and I'm just now getting into my first real movie short after a million tests, and tries. I'm trying to learn from everywhere I can.

deadline
09-30-2004, 12:45 AM
well.. i am not a pro, but i have been told that walk and run cycles are not something u want to have on the reel... i am in a demo reel creation month right now in school and they are not even accepting them anymore....

adavies
09-30-2004, 10:13 AM
sforsyth: yeah, I reckon if I add a bit more of a delay on their head's that'd make them more floppy :D

Maark Karraen: Still no solution to the music problem! Just gotta find something that fits! I'm sure it'll be really obvious when I find it hehe. Thanks for trying though.

deadline: Yeah, I've heard that about walk cycles too. I guess so many people put them in their reel they've become the new robots and spaceships. Though I reckon a walk is one of the hardest things to do right as it's got a bit of everything in there, pretty much all the principles, so I think it still has it's place in a reel. But then, I guess it depends on what sort of job you're applying for too. On the last game I did there were loads of walks that needed to be done , maybe for tv and film there's not so much of it. I wanted to try and get my reel to be as broad as possible though as I'm really not bothered whter I work in games or film or tv now, just want to get animating again! anything! gimme anything to animate! so maybe I should have a go at some more acting scenes then :D

Cheers for all you time, guys. It's definitley making me think about stuff, which has gotta be good with my brain :P

plaguelord
10-01-2004, 11:31 PM
ADavies, I saw the reel, I really like the stuff, I think that if you looking for a gaming industry job, the reel fit perfect. Personally, I don't like too much in-game scenes... I prefer to see stand alone animation on characters. Anyways your reel is really good!

off-topic question, wich setting are you using to make the video? I have my reel on a divx video, 640x480, 2minutes long, and its 48mb large... wich datarate are you using?

adavies
10-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Hi Guys, here's my finished reel, thanks for all your help, now to get sending it off (still not done my CV yety though :D)

http://www.mike-walker.co.uk

barpoet
10-08-2004, 03:52 AM
My only crit is the pop up window on your website, I hate those things & most employers i have come across do too. Maybe having the window change to the GIF/Link page as there is nothing on that page anyway. Thes reel itself is awesome.... I would put the custscenes at the start, (best stuff 1st principal) but that's just a personal opinion. Good Work!:thumbsup: Should get you a :deal:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.