PDA

View Full Version : Per Chronberg - Animation Session 10 - Dialogue 3

3D Swede
09-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Hi!

I'm in... (hoping I'll be able to finish it in time :scream: )!
Good luck everybody!

/3D Swede

3D Swede
10-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Hi everybody!

I must say there are some pretty funny anims so far.

Some tests of mine:

http://www.chronberg.com/chronberg/stuff/cgtalk/anim_session_10/test01_320x240.mov (1.64 mb)
http://www.chronberg.com/chronberg/stuff/cgtalk/anim_session_10/test01_640x480.zip (3,16 mb)
http://www.chronberg.com/chronberg/stuff/cgtalk/anim_session_10/test01_4split_640x480.zip (4-split view 4,23 mb)

The boxes in the background are placeholders for characters I plan to include... if time allows.

The walkcycle is not really finished but I really need to continue if I'm gonna make it in time.

Crits and comments highly appreciated.

Happy animating/
3D Swede

Suricate
10-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Hi Per,

the walk cycle already looks very smooth. However, I would change two things.

1. When putiting his feet down, it looks as if he is walking on his heels, maybe the angle between the foot and the ground should be smaller.

2. The character moves in a certain rhythm, maybe you should tone that down so that it moves more evenly.

I'm interested to see how your story evolves !

3D Swede
10-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Hi Suricate!

Thanks for the suggestions.. I agree on both of them and will try to improve those areas!
Really need to finish the complete anim first (rough) and then go back and fix as much as I can.

Cheers/
3D Swede

3D Swede
10-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Update!

http://www.chronberg.com/chronberg/stuff/cgtalk/anim_session_10/test02.mov

/3D Swede

s3ksee
10-08-2004, 03:41 AM
Hi Suricate!

Thanks for the suggestions.. I agree on both of them and will try to improve those areas!
Really need to finish the complete anim first (rough) and then go back and fix as much as I can.

Cheers/
3D Swede
dude, it is a nice walk cycle...but honestly, less is more; u can totally do some awesome
animation just focused on the action within the clip, instead of adding more work for yourself. For the amount of time u got until the deadline, U can animate a kick ass performance acting
on the dialogue without the extra stuff.

...remember, it's a contest.

It's nice stuff...now kick it up a notch:buttrock:

Anim_Changes
10-08-2004, 03:56 AM
I agree with s3ksee here, you dont need the walking in part, especially since the 'real' audio doesn't start till he stops. Have a step or two maybe to lead in and that's it.

I think your approach of having the character facing away from camera is interesting and will make your body performance that much more important.

The quicktime cuts off abruptly at the end, so you're prolly still working that out. That said, one thing I did notice was on the word, "Boom,...!", the character doesnt seem to do much. I feel like he should zip around to face the 'crowd'. Otherwise I'm digging the "this is my,.." part, feels natural.
peace
-TT

3D Swede
10-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Hi guys!

New update. Added two characters.

http://www.chronberg.com/chronberg/stuff/cgtalk/anim_session_10/test03.mov

s3ksee and Anim_Changes, thanks for your input.

The walkcycle is meant to be part of the buildup of the scene, wich wasn't too evident before I added some more characters (this update). I totally understand that and hope it feels a little bit more justified now.

It's a bit chopped of at the end in test02 (even more in this test), that's because I'm gonna do a couple of more seconds of animation there. Probably get to do some more tomorrow, If so, I'll post the progress.

Cheers/
3D Swede

3D Swede
10-11-2004, 04:18 PM
New update.

http://www.chronberg.com/chronberg/stuff/cgtalk/anim_session_10/test04.mov

C&C's appreciated.

/3D Swede

s3ksee
10-11-2004, 05:45 PM
:eek:

umm...so, two weeks left... and you added more
characters to your scene. I guess I'll have to wait and see
how it turns out in the end.

I suggest nailing down your extreme poses first... right now none
of them are very clear. For example, the "kid" looks like he's jumping
backwards into a kung-fu pose...

The walk in the beginning - you can get away with just 2 steps instead
of 4 and that would be a sufficient lead-in.

The acting needs work. Since you don't have any facial expressions, you'll
have to communicate his dialogue thru some serious body language.

Good luck dude.

3D Swede
10-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Hi s3ksee!

The "kid" or little dude, is doing just what you said.. jumping back into a kung-fu pose. He's supposed to be a little bit scared off when the man with the stick approaches him but at the same time a little bit cocky (hence the kung-fu-wanna-be-pose, and after all, his buddy standing next to him, happens to be really big and strong).

The pointing and waving-thing he does just before that enoys me though. I'm not satisfied with it.. so I am thinking about scrapping it and work out something else there.
I think I might try to make the little guys message a little bit clearer, that he wimps out when the going gets tough.

The best is yet to come I guess.. In the last part there's gonna be some pretty extreme poses. If I can get my idea to work animation-wise that is.

I really would like to enhance the animation overall but are not really sure where to start, so some hints of the really weak spots wouldn't hurt. I will go over it as many times as I can and try to work on the extremes.

Thanks for your comments!

/3D Swede

harmonic01
10-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Heh heh, sorry for my dirty thoughs, but what is the little guy touching there in the beginning?

Anyways, animation wise, I noticed when the little guy jumps in to a kung fu pose, it looks like you're using IK on his arms there, since they kind of stick to a point in space. Over all it seem slike he's and Ik arm kind of fellah. I think it would be much better if you used FK on him for the parts where his arms are not touching anything. :-)

3D Swede
10-12-2004, 06:13 AM
harmonic01,

Hehe.. no worries, just noticed he same thing yesterday... he's supposed to be waving to the stick-guy... but the angle makes it look like serious fondling... :argh:
I will change this.

As for the IK-arms... everybody in the scene has it, but I'm gonna go over the little guys movement first and see if I can get it a bit better.

Thanks/
3D Swede

3D Swede
10-19-2004, 07:03 PM
New update (a little bit violent I'm afraid)!

http://www.chronberg.com/chronberg/stuff/cgtalk/anim_session_10/test05.mov

Finally got some time to do some more animating.

I've tried to fix most of the things mentioned and added some more animation as well.
There are lots of things that need to be fixed and this I'll try to do the last days before the deadline.

Obviously the anim is not really finished yet (hence the characters sudden stop)
but I have the rest figured out, just have to animate it as well.

I will do my best to finish this one off.

Even though the deadline is close, comments are still appreciated!

Cheers/
3D Swede

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.