PDA

View Full Version : the fat boy... slim :p

AdrianLazar
09-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Hi,
I'm a team member from a small but fast growing dcc studio from romania. We are switching to xsi from 3dsmax for many reasons, like price, better teamwork workflow, core, capabilitys etc...
Anyway... for our first demoreel we whant do a really fat character, with a huge belly... fat is flowing all over him :)
After reading the manual and some video tuts and a lot of docs I'm still in doubt about what aproach to use for the fat simulation... I thought at softbody, syflex, or quickstretch (that is similiar to 3dsmax flex modifier that i used with succes in a few situations-but in this case i think that we need something more powerfull and with more control)
If you have any suggestion about what aproach to use to simulate fat that is reacting to the body animation, tips & tricks, don't hesitate to reply, I'll be for ever gratefull :)
Thank you!

ggg
09-29-2004, 02:05 AM
I recommend softbody. but its not easy to set up. an issue with the soft tut related to making SBDS localized is it negates geometry consideration, so I prefer SBD'ing cage deformers.

Facial Deluxe
10-01-2004, 05:34 AM
I haven't tryed softbodies, but I had sympathic results working with cloth. Not Syflex, but the original XSI 3.5 cloth. The cool thing is it mix very well between enveloppe and clothsim if you use a nail weightmap.
Here's a link to a quick test I did (one of my first thing with xsi). Not terrific, but might give you ideas.
http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=12147

RAINpit
10-01-2004, 06:33 AM
cloth works but sometimes it is unbelievably slow
u could take a faster approach by using enveloped skin with bones
and plugging a spring controller into the bone's motion for secondary animation
there is a script that does this.

or u can take things further and use the hair curve's dynamic properties to drive the bones

AdrianLazar
10-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Thank you Facial Deluxe and RAINpit, after a quick test i've got very good results with softbody, but i dind't tryied on a enveloped character and i sow in the manual that you must be carefull with the operator order in the stak, softbody should be befor envelope or viceversa... i'll do more test on monday.
Thanks for the support!

AdrianLazar
10-12-2004, 10:22 PM
I have a question:

It is possible to have 2 or more softbodyes modifiers on different clusters of the same objects... let's say that i whant different parts of the body to have different softbody settings.... how do i do that? When I apply the second soft body, the first one isn't active anymore, if i mute on, the other one functions, seems like can't be 2 or more softbodys modifiers on the same object... is that true? and if yes, it's possible to set different softbody setting on different clusters of the same object?
Thank you!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.