PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Modeler to Modo...

TrexGreg
09-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Hello...
I'm a veteran Lightwave user and would like to ask a few things about Modo, which i'm gona get anyway, cause it looks sooooo cool. So, here are some questions:

1. In Modeler i can "group" points and polygons using Surface names, Part names and Sketch Colors for polygons and Point sets for points. Can i do that in Modo?

2. In Modeler, when i have multiple distinguish objects loaded, i can set any one of them as a background object, without moving any object inside the layer stack of another. Does Modo work the same way?

3. Can Modo display multiple textures with alpha channels, one on top of the other?

4. In Lightwave threr's no way i can edit and re-program the mouse buttons and wheel. Can we do this in Modo?

5. Is there a slider for real time blending bettwen various morph targets, like the one we have in Modeler? (through a third party plugin, though). Or any other way for blending different morphs to create new ones, with real time feedback, perferably...

6. In Modo can i paint weight maps using the mouse as a brush? Or can i convert textures (images or LW procudurals) to weight maps?

Well... That's all for now...
Thanks in advance...

Best regards,

Dion Burgoyne
09-28-2004, 08:43 PM
1. In Modeler i can "group" points and polygons using Surface names, Part names and Sketch Colors for polygons and Point sets for points. Can i do that in Modo?Yes, you can also group sets of layers and parent them together

2. In Modeler, when i have multiple distinguish objects loaded, i can set any one of them as a background object, without moving any object inside the layer stack of another. Does Modo work the same way?Yes, very similar, you can also view the background layers the same as the foreground layer, so that you're not just limited to wireframes. You can also put entire other objects into the background layer as well.

3. Can Modo display multiple textures with alpha channels, one on top of the other?Not in this release.

4. In Lightwave threr's no way i can edit and re-program the mouse buttons and wheel. Can we do this in Modo?Currently, there are two presets for mouse settings, being able to customize it completely is in the works

5. Is there a slider for real time blending bettwen various morph targets, like the one we have in Modeler? (through a third party plugin, though). Or any other way for blending different morphs to create new ones, with real time feedback, perferably...Yes, you can blend through your morphs in real time, you can use any number of morphs to create new morphs, and you can even use falloffs to determine exactly which part of any particular morph you want to use in any other morph

6. In Modo can i paint weight maps using the mouse as a brush? Or can i convert textures (images or LW procudurals) to weight maps?Yes, you can "paint" weights on, however procedurals are not supported, although you can use any of the falloffs interactively to setup the proper weighting

Well... That's all for now...
Thanks in advance...

Best regards,Our Pleasure!
Dion :)

brap
09-28-2004, 08:48 PM
Hi Greg,

Well, I've only spent a couple of hours in it so far, so apart from saying that it has Surfaces and Parts just like LW, I can't respond to your other questions, although they are all things that I will be looking for as well. What's really amazing me so far, is that even with all the new functionality, you really will feel right at home coming from modeler. And the best part is it feels like I just upgraded my PC, as Modo seems to be at least 2 to 3 times faster than modeler. I'm sure there might be some scripts that I will miss, but I'm sure the best ones will be ported pretty quickly. Oh, and did I mention no blank viewports! :)

TrexGreg
09-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Wow! That was fast!
Thanks a lot, Dion...
Uhm.. From the moment i place the order online, how soon can i get to download Modo? And when can we expect a box and printed manuals?

Best regards,

brap
09-28-2004, 09:22 PM
You can download right when you purchase online.
Here's a question that I have. Any chance that this thing might be able to work with the LW HUB? That would be a real productivity booster for us LW folks! :)

TrexGreg
09-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Any chance that this thing might be able to work with the LW HUB? That would be a real productivity booster for us LW folks! :)
I wouldn't know, but i have a feelling that when the next Nexus babe hit the streets, we no longer have a need for the Hub... or anything else related...:bounce:

brap
09-28-2004, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't know, but i have a feelling that when the next Nexus babe hit the streets, we no longer have a need for the Hub... or anything else related...:bounce:
yeah, but that's going to be a little while, right? In the meantime... :)

Dion Burgoyne
09-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Heh, there are no plans to use lightwaves hub, they are very different programs. However, there is probably some enterprising individual that could code a way to do this, I doubt that it's impossible.

Steve McRae
09-29-2004, 03:10 AM
may Lightwave's hub die forever! :)

harlan_hill
09-29-2004, 04:48 AM
may Lightwave's hub die forever! :)

LOL!!! Although I have no problems with the hub at all on OSX. Lets not forget though that these Lux. cats are the ones that gave us LW's Hub! ;)

rob baldwin
09-29-2004, 07:43 AM
Well, maybe not quite all *these* cats... :rolleyes:

Not quite *everybody* left Newtek.

-rob

LOL!!! Although I have no problems with the hub at all on OSX. Lets not forget though that these Lux. cats are the ones that gave us LW's Hub! ;)

shade
09-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Well, Ill continue in this thread :). Yes, I have also moved from modeller and missed those "popup" menus for mouse buttons, so it would be really nice to be able to place pie-menus for example ctrl-shit-lmb, like modeller... And did I understood correctly that you can do "multilvl" pie-menus? Meaning that selecting one from popped up piemenu, would open another pie-menu? Anyway, waiting already for the update, so we can map those mouse buttons :D \o/

harlan_hill
09-29-2004, 07:26 PM

Dont you roll your eyes at me!! ;)

I certainly don't think that I implied that all of Lux were from NewTek. I just pointed out that the folks responsible for LW's HUB are at Lux.

harlan_hill
09-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Whooops...I quoted myself. I was supposed to quote Rob Baldwin - the long lost "baldwin" brother.

Steve McRae
09-29-2004, 08:27 PM
http://www.atomworks.com/public/hub_wanted.gif ..........

nuclearfessel
09-29-2004, 08:32 PM
http://www.atomworks.com/public/hub_wanted.gif ..........
HAHAHAHA

no mostly... just plain dead would be just fine http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/twisted.gif

rob baldwin
09-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Oh, I know what you were trying to imply.

I was just implying the opposite. :)

(And no, not all of lux is from Newtek, it's true. It's that second bit that might be a little wonky.)

-rob

Dont you roll your eyes at me!! ;)

I certainly don't think that I implied that all of Lux were from NewTek. I just pointed out that the folks responsible for LW's HUB are at Lux.

brap
09-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Little did I know what a firestorm of pent-up anger against the poor little hub my inquiry would bring forth! :)
I still think it would be really cool if someone came up with a way to link modo to the hub.

http://www.sentientdigital.com/WIP/WALDENShub.jpg

Steve McRae
09-30-2004, 02:35 PM
lol - thats awesome!

Jimzip
11-14-2004, 02:12 PM
I won't mind if there's no Hub action with modo at all, because once Nexus is out, I don't know whether I'll use Lightwave again..
Also, I'm sorry, but I can't pass up this opportunity.. ;)
Monty Python anyone?

Jimzip :D

Nigel Baker
11-18-2004, 12:08 PM
With a little bit of unlearning to do and maybe some wishing that you never left LW modeller, I think you will be happy with your $695 decision.

Jimzip
11-18-2004, 12:46 PM
With a little bit of unlearning to do and maybe some wishing that you never left LW modeller, I think you will be happy with your $695 decision.

Must be that time of the month again.

Nigel Baker
11-19-2004, 03:40 PM
Sorry about that last message it was ment to go some where else. :)

Jimzip
11-20-2004, 06:55 AM
Ah.. Haha. Moi aussi..

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.