PDA

View Full Version : High Polygon heads, low polygon bodies: Is that legal?

NeptuneImaging
09-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Not in a law sense but I modeled a head from a tutorial hosted at www.secondreality.ch (http://www.secondreality.ch), and the polygon count is over 800 quads, including the ears, now is that totally allowable if I make a character who has fully facial manipulation and low poly bodies? I am doing the tutorial from Michel Roger's modeling tutorial...

I am not sure of a polygon count yet, but I am aiming a 9,000 polygons for a game character, (at least the main)

At least is that allowable...

Oldbean
09-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Sure, why not...

Can we see the head mesh?

NeptuneImaging
09-28-2004, 06:40 PM
Well, here is the mesh you asked for. This is my first game based character, named Rayder (I wish I knew why the model still looks jagged even with Phong turned on. I will make a body after I do the ears... I would also love it if you guys give me a critique to better my model

Cheers...

NeptuneImaging
09-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Here is the mesh...damn internet...

Ghostscape
09-28-2004, 07:06 PM
It looks like you've got some places you can optimize in your model.

As far as the polycount of the head versus the rest of the body, the face is the focal point of characters, and as such, you can use extra detail.

MFTituS
09-28-2004, 07:33 PM
yepp, as ghostscape said it.800 faces for a 9k character is even very low. you have a ratio of 1:11 for the face.
but with such many polys you dont have to care where to put them - it will be more a problem where to put all the polys to reach the high number :)

normaly you can use up to 500 faces for a head for a 1500-2000 poly character and it will look ok. its more a question of the overall look. if you have a round head, but a boxy character, it wont look very well. but concentrating more on the face to give him character is good especially if you want to give him facial animation and so the audience will see headshots or animated portrait from the near.
so most lowpoly artists use a bigger texturesize specially for the head too, cause this area is where you can really give him character and make him more alive.

for example i have used for my orcmage approx 800 faces for his head and 2000 for his whole body with his pinafore and cloak (EDIT: and the head is in it, forgot to mention it). and i think they were well spent :)
cause i have used many doodads like his stuff, book, backpack with the standard, and so on, to give him more detail, i could invest so many poly on his head and it dont look much to disproportionate.

hope it helps a bit....

NeptuneImaging
09-28-2004, 07:43 PM
The head is over 800 quads...about 1700 tris...

Ghostcape: Yeah, I do see places where I can save on my poly count, mostly like the edges running up the head...I will reduce the poly count, since I have no idea what the body count will be (I am still new to the game modeling stuff)

MFTitus: I will keep that in mind when I add details...I am sort of anal when it comes to loops and quads... I'll post more later... :thumbsup:

NeptuneImaging
09-29-2004, 03:14 AM
I just finished the ear so is there anything aesthetically wrong with the model??

NeptuneImaging
09-30-2004, 04:48 AM
Hey, guys,

Just before I go to sketch, I will post an updated model of my head this time with ears...he does not have a name yet, for I am just finding my confidence to make my own character model. His head is about 2300 tris, and my aim for a full polygon count of 7,000 tris for a whole body (after I optimize) The ear is full modeled (hey, I had to practice ear modeling, too, lol)

your critiques will help me make changes before I proceed to the body modeling...

Have a nice night...

Ghostscape
09-30-2004, 03:53 PM
http://www.saveloomis.org/FigureDrawing/page174.gif

Your head seems a little flat topped, but other than that, it looks ok.

NeptuneImaging
09-30-2004, 04:07 PM
Okay, not a problem. But do you see any areas that should be further optimzed? I think 2300 tris for a head is rather high, my target for the whole character is 8500. I have already fixed the top of the head and carefully removed polygons to use... this is my head by the way...

I am also learning body modeling from Joan of Arc...

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.