PDA

View Full Version : Object Dissolve

Stoehr
09-28-2004, 06:06 PM
I'm looking for a way to dissolve an object over time. I want it to disappear. I've dug around looking for a method, but I can't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

SheepFactory
09-28-2004, 06:43 PM
sounds like something better done in post.

optical op
09-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Can you be a bit more specific - when you say dissolve, do you mean fade out, or turn into dust and fall to the ground, etc

Stoehr
09-29-2004, 06:01 AM
Yeah, I meant to fade out. I think I can use passes to render objects individually and dissolve in post-comp, but it would be nice to know if this exist in XSI, so it can be done three dimensionally. Thanks.

optical op
09-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Presumably you have shaders applied to your object(s) - can you not simply animate the transparency of the shader then?? If you do this, be sure to either disable specular, or animate specular in tandem with the transparency, so that you do not get highlights floating around! Of course, you may also need to do the same with other things such as reflection to get the look right.

Sil3
09-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Never mind what i wrote, itīs was not the procedure hehehe, use an animatable transparency ;)

Stoehr
09-29-2004, 06:06 PM
Presumably you have shaders applied to your object(s) - can you not simply animate the transparency of the shader then?? If you do this, be sure to either disable specular, or animate specular in tandem with the transparency, so that you do not get highlights floating around! Of course, you may also need to do the same with other things such as reflection to get the look right.
Thanks. Maybe someday there'll be an object dissolve feature, or maybe someday I could make that feature, ha.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.