PDA

View Full Version : how to store a shape from one tool to another?

guismo
09-28-2004, 06:49 PM
i do not have zbrush here so the names i give might be wrong.
i am begining in zbrush and tried to create a displacement map for an .obj i imported from poser 5.

i modified the obj. but forgot to store the initial shape, so i have two questions:

-when you store the shape, save, close the work and open later, will it retain the stored shape? i thought of that now and cant try. since i am here...

-the most important: since i changed the mesh i can not make the displacment. but i can remake the obj. from poser and it will be just the same. how do i use this .obj that is unchanged as the mesh to be stored?
i tried storing it and using it in the new mesh, but each tool seems to have a separate storage.

i hope someone understand me. thanks

roguenroll
09-28-2004, 11:34 PM
this starts and ends in lightwave, but the Zbrush part is what you want.

this is open on my other monitor, for all the projects Ive started so far.

http://www.stevewarner.com/Tutorials/zBrush/zBrushTut.html

guismo
10-01-2004, 01:28 AM
thanks for the help. but i read the tutorial and it has no answer to the problems i have showed. i mean, it tells me to store the mesh in the beginning and how important it is. but there is no information of what to do if i forgot it in the first place.

or do you mean that there is no solution? if you do not store the shape or save and close and keep working, and you work for a hole week the work is gone? that would be very sad.

roguenroll
10-01-2004, 02:36 AM
well im no expert, but I assume its pretty important. maybe someone with more info on zbrush can confirm.

mmhnemo
10-01-2004, 07:58 AM
Hi,

try this:

Go to the lowest division level (the cage)
import your original base mesh
you should now have replaced the cage with the original while retaining your higher subdivisions and modeling.
This only works on unchanged geometry (no cuts, extrudes, loops, anything that changed the polygon layout)

guismo
11-16-2004, 08:20 PM
hi, it is me again. funny that i did not see your post, because it works great.

but i am back with the same problem (this time zbrush trow away my original mt, i do not know why) but when i do what you tell, it inflates many parts of the mesh. mostly the ones that i altered. is there any solution?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.