PDA

View Full Version : Painter8 sidegrade or pay double for full Painter9?

Erik Heyninck
09-28-2004, 03:27 PM
This is not the kind of thread I like but still...
I do am really serious, so it's not an attempt to start an argument.

Being a painter myself (renaissance techniques), I am interested in this software.

So I downloaded the newest demo, and, to be honest, I was quite impressed.
Question is: is there much difference between Painter8 and 9? I'm not talking bells and whistles here (I did read the other thread), but interface etc...

I have a fast pc (PIV3GHzHT, 1.5GBRam, Win XPPro) and I own Photoshop.
As I live in Europe, I have to pay more than the people from the US and Canada, so the sidegrade to 8 looks very interesting as the full price for Painter9 is about the double.
Is this upgrade worth spending twice the money I'd have to spend to get Painter8?

And, generally speaking: how is Painter8? Known bugs? I was interested in 7 once, but the negative impressions of many of its users made me forget about Painter altogether.

Thanks for your replies.

rebo
09-28-2004, 04:42 PM
Personally i would go with painter 9, 8 on my computer is really laggy with some brushes. The watercolors and oils in 9 are really nice and fast.

Erik Heyninck
09-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Corel nl has 8 sidegrade for 161 Euro. No mention of 9 yet.

Corel UK:

upgradeP8 is 169 Euro.
Painter9 comes at 398.33Euro
P9 upgrade: 149 Euro

A local shop here asks:

for P8 upgrade: 239 Euro
for P9 (appr. preorder): 389 Euro.
for P9 upgrade: 155 Euro.

So if I'd want 9, I'd be best to buy the upgrade/sidegrade as a Photoshop user to 8 in Holland (161 Euro) and then, at the moment, the upgrade to 9 in Great Britain (149 Euro).
Saves me 79 Euro...and I can test out 8 myself.

kraal
09-28-2004, 05:49 PM
i use and make money with painter 8 just like i did with seven.... the main problem i had with 8 a lot of others never commented on but that is the selection tools seemed kinda lacking and iffy.... well i seemed to have no problem with painter 9 with that and i plan to upgrade eventually just to keep current

Erik Heyninck
09-28-2004, 06:27 PM
I just ordered P8 upgrade UK from Holland. Delivery: five working days.
Meanwhile I have the 9 demo...

Vertizor
10-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Sorry for hi-jacking your thread, I just wanted to add a few questions here rather than start yet another Painter 9 thread.

1. For people who have bought Painter software: On the Corel website their Painter product is listed as Mac/Win, and there's no control to differentiate between the 2 when I go to add it to my shopping cart. So am I to assume that it's dual platform capable? Meaning one CD-ROM install set can be used for either Mac or PC if we have both computers at home?

I just hope so because it would be great if I can paint on the road with my iBook, and use my PC with larger monitor when at home.

2. I read the fine print on what software is eligible for the upgrade pricing. "Painter Classic" (which is a product of MetaCreations I believe) was listed as eligible. But anyone who bought a Wacom tablet would have Painter Classic, is that the same product? Meaning, can I use the Painter Classic that came with my Wacom tablet to get the upgrade pricing for a newer Corel Painter?

Jinbrown
10-06-2004, 05:18 AM
2. I read the fine print on what software is eligible for the upgrade pricing. "Painter Classic" (which is a product of MetaCreations I believe) was listed as eligible. But anyone who bought a Wacom tablet would have Painter Classic, is that the same product? Meaning, can I use the Painter Classic that came with my Wacom tablet to get the upgrade pricing for a newer Corel Painter?
Per the Corel site, Upgrade pricing/eligibility for Painter IX and Painter 8:

Upgrade Eligibility for Painter IX (http://store.corel.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&currency=USD&jspStoreDir=FashionFlow&partNumber=OL_PF09&catalogId=10001&ddkey=SetCurrencyPreference) - (Click this link to read the Corel Painter IX page.)

Customers who have purchased the following products* are eligible to purchase Corel® Painter™ IX at the upgrade price:

MetaCreations Painter 6
Corel Painter 6
Corel Painter 7
Corel Painter 8
* Original serial number is required.

Upgrade Eligibility for Painter 8 (http://store.corel.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&mpe_id=10052&jspStoreDir=FashionFlow&intv_id=10053&partNumber=OL_PF08&evtype=CpgnClick&catalogId=10001&ddkey=ClickInfo) - (Click this link to read the Corel Painter 8 page.)

Adobe Photoshop & Painter Classic customers now qualify for the upgrade to Corel Painter 8:
Registered users of Adobe Photoshop 5.5 and higher, Fractal Design Painter 4 and 5, MetaCreations Painter 5 - 6 and all versions of Corel Painter and Painter Classic are eligible to upgrade to Corel Painter 8.

Trial versions, Adobe Photoshop LE, Adobe Photoshop Elements and Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 are not eligible.

mcarp
10-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Painter 8 came on a dual-platform install disk, but it was the first version to do so (at least that I know of).

Vertizor
10-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Thank you, and thank you, for answering both my questions. :)

mcarp
10-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Getting back to the original question, my experience may be a little different because I'm a Mac user. But version 9 is so much more stable, and performs so much better than 8 at the same tasks, that I think someone whose only experience has been with version 9 may find 8 to be something of an unwelcome surprise.

I don't know what the cost comparison is on going straight to nine as opposed to going from 8 to 9, but I will tell you I live in absolute dread of my demo copy expiring before my purchased version arrives, forcing me to fall back to 8.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.