PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia crash/hack/fix

Sbowling
09-28-2004, 12:56 PM
This is a real cheesy fix for the Nvidia driver crash problem. Simply put, I uninstalled the driver and told windows not to install another one. This makes window suse a default VGA driver. I still have all my colors and resolutions, but things can get a bit slow. It's still faster than crashing every few miunutes. I've actually managed to get something done.:bounce:

dudders
09-28-2004, 05:23 PM
ok, so far on what i've read, this sounds like one program i should avoid!

mbaldwin
09-28-2004, 05:57 PM

If you are referring to Modo, I wouldn't necessarily draw that conclusion. So far, I like what I see for a 1.0 release. The real challenge for Lux will be maintaining an aggressive update cycle, in spite of their efforts to launch the other layout/rendering/components.

kidcodea
09-28-2004, 06:15 PM
nice trolling :)

shame you out of focus. its not the program you should avoid , its the nv driver.

anyway judging from your post, and thinking a bit further, i guess it's better for you to skip the program after all :)

jscott
09-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Brad said turning off Vertex Arrays in the OpenGL setting reduced or eliminated the NVIDIA driver crash problem. Is this not the case?

BTW: I think Luxology is currently testing a new NVIDIA driver the may solve the issue.

-jscott

Dion Burgoyne
09-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Yes, turning vertex arrays off will lower the chances of nvidia drivers causing the crash, the best way to fix the problem is to reset your drivers to the earliest possible ones, (right around 41.XX is the best) most of them have drivers that date back to v44.xx which work well as well... NVidia has acknowledged the problem and has stated that they have a fix in test.

PaQ
09-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Hello,

I'm just wondering :

- Wasn't this bug reported by your betatesters. I don't understand how you can release a software that only work with 6 months old drivers :( ...

- I have a 6800 at my office and I can run maya, 3dsmax and lightwave without any problem. So how modo can be so different and requiere special driver/update ???

(I'm just collecting some infos before buying modo ^^)

guidox2
09-28-2004, 07:43 PM
Yes, turning vertex arrays off will lower the chances of nvidia drivers causing the crash, the best way to fix the problem is to reset your drivers to the earliest possible ones, (right around 41.XX is the best) most of them have drivers that date back to v44.xx which work well as well... NVidia has acknowledged the problem and has stated that they have a fix in test.
Yes I have the old driver on my Nvidia Quadro and work very good with MODO :)

jscott
09-28-2004, 07:55 PM
PaQ:

It was my understanding that NVIDIA claimed responsibilitly for the bug. I guess Luxology made a judgement call to go ahead with the release with NVIDIA working new drivers that would eliminate the problem. Remember this is a new application coded from the ground up with current technology. I have seen nothing but good faith from Luxology so far. This is a 1.0 release and everyone is working hard to fix any problems.

Maya, 3dsmax and Lightwave all have much older code bases.

-jscott

Dion Burgoyne
09-28-2004, 07:55 PM
- Wasn't this bug reported by your betatesters. I don't understand how you can release a software that only work with 6 months old drivers :( ...

Yes, we did see it through beta testing, we felt that since the problem was not of our making that we should go ahead and release the software. We actually are using a lot of the same information as Maya uses for their recommended and "only supports" section. Other software manufacturers will not even support running on "consumer" level cards, modo does not see the distinction, and instead we decided to fight for a fix for these drivers :)

MallenLane
09-28-2004, 08:06 PM
Well, Brad had mentioned in another thread that nvidia has sent you the fixed driver last week? But you've made no mention of whether or not the fix from them has worked out ok.

edit: Oh and btw, there have been several reports from quadro owners who have been experiencing crashing as well when using any of their recent drivers. So it isn't just "consumer level cards".

Dion Burgoyne
09-28-2004, 08:24 PM
NVidia NDA, but yes, we do have a copy of the driver and it is being tested, so far everyone says that it fixes the problem...

MunCHeR
09-28-2004, 08:48 PM
I have a quadro fx1000 and its crashed once in approximately 6 days using 56.72 drivers and now 61.76, pretty darn good imho, I have had much worse from releases of other so called "pro" cg software in the 3+ stage of release.

MunCH

Levitateme
09-28-2004, 09:30 PM
anyone heard on the update drivers?

Sbowling
09-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Absolutely not! this is just a temporary fix until the next Nvidia drivers cmoe out. The fact that I can solve the problem by removing the Nvidia driver shows it is in fact an Nvidia problem.

Sbowling
09-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Unfortunately, the 41.x drivers don't work with the 6800 video cards. I could always install my 5900 or 4600ti, but I don't find the problem to be that big of a deal. My solution is perfectly acceptable for me and has not degraded the performance of my machine enough to cause any problems.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.