PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for someone completely new to 3d world

dread65
09-28-2004, 08:16 AM
hey guys i purchased the student version of XSI, i am looking for some good tutorials on basic stuff. Basically i found some sites, like ed harris's however the easier stuff is all from XSI 1.5 and the interface has changed since then it seems..

thanks

bravmm
09-28-2004, 08:55 AM
Most of the stuff and workflow still works. If you're completely new maybe the stuff at www.3dtutorial.com would come in handy.

cheers,

rob

Shinova
09-28-2004, 09:09 AM
Read the documentation and tutorials that ship with XSI.

For a built-in documentation, XSI's is REALLY good. Check them out.

But anyway, welcome to the fascinating world of 3D. :applause:

SevenString
09-28-2004, 06:02 PM
XSI, huh? Jumping in the deep end with both feet. :D

XSI is a very deep application, but ANY 3D app is going to provide a serious learning curve for someone new to 3D. Be patient. The struggle WILL pay off.

The XSI documentation and tutorials are fantastic, and with the DVDs, you should most of what you need to get up and running.

However, even though XSI is very logical, there's a lot of stuff in there, so if at some point you're feeling a little overwhelmed, I would recommend taking a step back and trying a more limited application. Something like WINGS3D is a great little freeware modeling app that can help you come to grips with some of the 3D basics. After a couple of WINGS tutorials, you can step back into XSI with a fresh, more learned perspective on the whole 3D thing.

But once you get your head around XSI's way of doing things, you'll end up spoiled for other applications. I certainly am! Good choice and welcome to the club.

optical op
09-28-2004, 09:11 PM
Hi, I instuct in CGI at a UK college and I see people all the time coming to learn Max and struggling. The biggest mistake is trying to do too much too soon - dont expect to be making LOTR this time next year! I would recommend that you try and think about what it is about 3D that most interests you. Is it modelling, animation, SFX...etc. Then spend as much time getting up to speed in that one area as possible, then when you are happy (and none of us are ever 100% happy with our results!) then perhaps move on and look at another area. For example, if you want to be a animator, dont spend hours modelling, just aninate a cube or something as if it really was the Enterprise.

Also, get as much reference material as possible - the web is obviously great for this. Not just stills, but also download clips of walkcycles, animal movement, etc. And look at how things are done such as lighting and cameras in films already out there.

Enjoy it, keep at it

danydrunk
09-29-2004, 06:15 AM
yes I suggest trying to model first, and then move on maybe to texture and so on, dont try to play with other stuff as it will confuse you more. Learn one thing and soon youll be having more questions, then youll explore and learn.

About xsi being a deep package.....well it is deep, but I dont think it is overwhelming. I tried to use max and maya before only to be frustrated. for some reason xsi seemed logical to me and more friendly, even though it has a gray interface. And about using wings to model, I would say that it is a very good thing to do. It was wings which really teach me how to model. The only thing negative is that since wings is so good modeler, you wont want to use anything else ! It took me a month to forget wings and learn how to model in xsi.

good luck

Rabid pitbull
09-29-2004, 07:49 AM
Well for some very good and basic introduction to xsi try the 3dbuss videos. there are several hours of nice get your feet wet videos, the 3dbuzz site is a excelent resource of information regarding many different applications. You must sign up for a free account, but then you have access to the forums, video tutorials, and lots of general 3D goodness.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.