PDA

View Full Version : The zbrush and maya game compendium

Kael
09-28-2004, 06:27 AM
Hello everyone,
I am an animator working to stablish a game studio. For this reason I've been struggling with things like modeling and texturing which I don't completely understand as much as animation.
I was attracted to zbrush because of its fast and relatively easy interface. I normally work with Maya as my main 3d tool... as I assume most of you reading this thread do as well.

I wanted to make a single thread to compile some info on how to use zbrush on the specific maya situation.

The questions:
Im working with Unreal 2004 engine... Does it work if I model low poly in maya (only because the model is already made otherwise I would try zbrush for this as well) and then move it to zbrush for texturing using Projection Master... WHAT EXACTLY DO I NEED TO EXPORT BACK TO MAYA? and is it good or bad idea to use this kind of projection for game engines like unreal?Taking into account that this time i dont want to render it just animate it to export into Unreal.

Frenchy Pilou
09-28-2004, 06:52 AM
...at this post (http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=003548) (slide the page)
And see the concept and how Zb can help you for have crazzy definite textures on a lowpoly object :cool:

Kael
09-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Thanx frenchy pilou,
I don't quite understand the concept behind that post. And... do you know if this works on unreal 2004 engine?

Sorry to bother so much, I just want to know what I'm gettin into before I venture. What I do promise is that I'll post a full thread/tutorial on this matter using zbrush, maya and unreal when I finish. I think many ppl are concerned about this but there is no place to actually look for solid hard evidence of it working.

eldee
09-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Thanx frenchy pilou,
I don't quite understand the concept behind that post. And... do you know if this works on unreal 2004 engine?

Sorry to bother so much, I just want to know what I'm gettin into before I venture. What I do promise is that I'll post a full thread/tutorial on this matter using zbrush, maya and unreal when I finish. I think many ppl are concerned about this but there is no place to actually look for solid hard evidence of it working.
the texturemap that zbrush creates can be used in anything that supports loading textures. the trick is to get the dimensions correct for whatever platform you intend to use. UT2k4 for example uses a 1024 map for the body, and a 512 map for the head. all of the weapons, props, etc, generally use 512 textures but can use higher (assuming they dont exceed 1024). zbrush creates the uv map for you, and allows you to use texturemaster to paint directly on the model. however- if you ever intend to load up the texture in another app (say, photoshop) and do some changes, you're SOL. the texturemap that zbrush creates is completely illegible and a total mess. the reason for this is that zbrush compensates for UVW distortion and distorts the texture to match (thereby creating a totaly seamless texture). not even deep paint does this. the only drawback to using zbrush to texture is that any time you need to change the texture you will need to do it in zbrush. however, this is hardly a drawback at all considering the obvious benefits.

although i've got to wonder: UT2k4 characters average around 1400-1600 polys each.. are you planning on using zbrush solely for texturing? if so you may be interested in checking out UPaint... it's made by right hemisphere specifically for texturing unreal-engine models, and it's free.

Haider of Sweden
09-29-2004, 08:08 AM
Kael, if you dont want to use zBrushes own UV mapping technique, you could map the modell in Maya, export it to OBJ, paint it in zBrush, and then export the color-map

Its very simple.
Good luck

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.