PDA

View Full Version : May I ask when will the NEW nvidia driver ready?

09-28-2004, 06:25 AM
I know that Lux and nvidia are working very hard to put up some new driver compatible with modo, and also i heard that new driver is under test in Lux, so may i ask hows the progress and i am really looking forward to a happy modelling without my new favorite modeller keep crushing every couple minutes...

thanks in advance!

Para
09-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Knowing the usual speed of nVidia in releasing official, WHQL'd drivers I'd say in November or after that. Betas may come when they come, since nVidia has a stupid habit of "leaking" beta drivers all the time. They consider beta driver leaking as an unofficial driver release.

JaQues^T
09-28-2004, 12:58 PM
well, i have good news, : )

try
nVidia_Forceware_66_70.exe (http://www.clan-jaguar.co.uk/ZBN/nVidia_Forceware_66_70.exe)

it supports vertex arrays : D
i think its still beta, but it works great so far :bounce:
i just found it on guru3d : )

09-28-2004, 01:08 PM
WOW!! many thanks to JaQues^T!!
i am downloading it while replying, and i cant wait to test it with modo.

since we got something, lets start testing! i will report the outcome, just wish it works!!

THANKS AGAIN!!

lougandidas
09-28-2004, 01:29 PM
What's the difference between the regular Nvidia drivers and the ForceWare drivers. I found when I installed the ForceWare drivers, I lost a lot of control (for example adjusting the my monitor settings) and those options weren't there with the ForceWare drivers.

09-28-2004, 02:14 PM
66.70 works great so far, but not with modo, sadly...

i installed the driver and still got the warning on modo start screen with that vertex array crap... and i went into modelling, couple minutes later it crushed. i restarted modo and again it crushed...

maybe i have to leave modo for a while...

Ejecta
09-28-2004, 02:25 PM
So is the Mac version more stable?

JaQues^T
09-28-2004, 02:25 PM
hmmm...
i have winxp and gforce fx 5900xt
no warning message on startup, everything runs smooth here

discode
09-28-2004, 02:27 PM
If you can find them you may want to try the 42.51 drivers as they have been reported to work.

MallenLane
09-28-2004, 02:30 PM
This driver apaprently doens't include the fix for Modo sadly.

And 42.51 doesn't work for the majority of newer cards.

onikaze
09-28-2004, 03:06 PM
Well it worked for me. no more error message on startup.

Win2k with Gforce 4 4200 ti

Decipel
09-28-2004, 03:14 PM
I have 66.70 drivers, but in modo is the same messange : http://softimager.szm.sk/nverror.jpg , I have FX5200 , Plz Help me :sad:

jangell
09-28-2004, 03:22 PM
66.70 works great so far, but not with modo, sadly...

i installed the driver and still got the warning on modo start screen with that vertex array crap... and i went into modelling, couple minutes later it crushed. i restarted modo and again it crushed...

maybe i have to leave modo for a while...

I don't know if these are the fixed drivers or not, but modo only reports an error if the driver version is between 42.52 and 61.77 inclusive, which were the latest driver versions available at the time of ship. Any number outside that range will not report an error, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will work.

Since you are still seeing the error, you probably are not actually running the new 66.70 drivers, but rather some other version. The Event Log in modo reports specifically what driver version you are running, which for NVidia should read "6.6.7.0" or something like that (this value is read from the Windows registry and matches the one in the Windows Device Manager, and is the driver version Windows believes it is using). I'm not a driver guru, but I'd check to make sure that the versions reported by Windows really match what you installed.

I might recommend ensuring that you have uninstalled any previous driver version and then re-install the new drivers.

Once we know what the final driver version number is, we will certainly post it to the forums.

-- Joe

JaQues^T
09-28-2004, 03:42 PM
don't know if these are the fixed drivers or not, but modo only reports an error if the driver version is between 42.52 and 61.77 inclusive, which were the latest driver versions available at the time of ship. Any number outside that range will not report an error, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will work.

ouuuu, k, maybe thats why it dosnt show me any error,
but it relly works muuuch better then 61.77 for me.
befor i couldnt work in quad mod, now it runs smooth and fast, with no crash.

JaQues^T
09-28-2004, 03:51 PM
cut. : / laaag

Decipel
09-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Hmm, Newest drivers doesn't work for me..

JaQues^T
09-28-2004, 04:57 PM
k/ someting is wrong with this drivers : /
at first i had suuper speed in vieports, now i have mega lag ? _ ?

edit:

: P heh, that was something with my system, after reboot everything works fine again :buttrock:

Iconoklast
09-28-2004, 05:06 PM
I have the latest nvidia drivers. When I have the 'Image Settings' (under Performance & Quality Settings in the driver display settings) set to 'Quality'. Modo crashes everytime I load it up. When I set it to 'High Performance', modo has no problems.

Para
09-28-2004, 05:43 PM
I have 66.70 drivers, but in modo is the same messange : , I have FX5200 , Plz Help me :sad:

That's why they're called betas - no need to update some non-important parts like the driver revision number. You just have to trust that you have what you think you have.

PaQ
09-28-2004, 05:55 PM
I have the latest nvidia drivers. When I have the 'Image Settings' (under Performance & Quality Settings in the driver display settings) set to 'Quality'. Modo crashes everytime I load it up. When I set it to 'High Performance', modo has no problems.

Can someone confirm this ^^ ??? (any 6800 owners ???)
I don't really want to buy a software that just don't work on my hardware :(

MallenLane
09-28-2004, 06:50 PM
It will still crash even doing the image - performance thing.

The problem here is that these "fixes" are in all likelyhood subjective. The crash doesn't happen consistantly unless you are actively working in the program constantly. People will change something, believe that it has made a difference, when actually their workflow at the time simply hasn't given it enough time to *poof*.

I've had modo not crash for an hour or more when working slowly, switching windows, saving frequently. I've also had it crash every 5 minutes while just rotating the viewport.

Even with the crashes I am able to get stuff done for the most part, and until Nvidia puts out a new driver there doesn't appear to be any solution for people who have cards higher than 6800.

Levitateme
09-28-2004, 08:32 PM
i thought i heard the drivers would be out in a week or two...this is so dissapointing on nvidia side. i hate staying stuck in maya modeling.

vg1
09-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Anyone with Quadro FX card have problems with crashes? I have FX 3000, and, although i do not get the startup errors most of you get, i still crash often with image planes, or, when i try to save while having something selected, like an edge or use Soft Selection. Very weird and unstable sometimes. Most of the time, when it does crash, it totally crashes my system , where i have to do complete reboot. Then on the odd day, it will not crash at all.

Trilobyte
09-29-2004, 06:55 AM
I try to install 66.70 yesterday. Before intalling modo crashes after two clicks. With new drivers modo works much better.

MunCHeR
09-29-2004, 07:16 AM
Is it just me or do the viewports update really slowly? If I have 4 views open theres some noticeable lag when I make a poly cube and pull vertices around, doing the same thing in maya and its the same speed in each viewport, does this happen for anyone else? I hope this is a driver issue , not that its a "big" problem :D I'm using nvidia drivers 61.76 on a quadro fx1000.

Cheers

MunCH

JulesB
09-29-2004, 08:15 AM
Is it just me or do the viewports update really slowly? If I have 4 views open theres some noticeable lag when I make a poly cube and pull vertices around, doing the same thing in maya and its the same speed in each viewport, does this happen for anyone else? I hope this is a driver issue , not that its a "big" problem :D I'm using nvidia drivers 61.76 on a quadro fx1000.

Cheers

MunCH
I'm using an FX1100, and need to check my driver (just got the card), but I'm seeing the same thing. It's not a "big" issue sure, but it does make Modo a bit clunky to use, and I'm frustrated enough with it already without that!

Julian.

vg1
09-29-2004, 12:53 PM
I dont think its your system MunCHer. I have a Quadro FX 3000 and im having stabiliy issues, although they are few and far between and not as severe as alot of the users are having. I just get wierd system locks, or Modo just plain disappears from my monitor when i do an operation, and I also experience lag when in 4 view. I can edit and tweak a model in Maya sometimes twice as fast than Modo.

MunCHeR
09-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Hmmm thanks vg1, nice t know its not just me :D My main workstation is a dual xeon 2.8 with 4Gb RAM and the quadro fx1000, its only crashed once but then again I was doing something nutty trying to work out some of the new tools I'm unfamiliar with, I installed it on an old dual P3 with a GeForce 4 Ti 42100 just to see what happened (thats probably naughty) and it seemed fine, only made a poly cube and fooled around a bit but it didnt crash, I guess slow viewports are better than it crashing all the time like other users are reporting, gotta be damned frustrating :shrug:

MunCH

JulesB
09-30-2004, 08:55 PM
My Event Log simply reports "Log system started", no errors with my Nvidia FX1100 and 53.03 driver, yet I am getting considerable stability problems, ie. crashes, with display related aspects of Modo.

Julian.

MallenLane
10-01-2004, 04:26 PM
Guru3D has a new driver up, Forceware 66.72..

I believe this is the driver with the fix in, so far no crashes for me for an hour even with vertex arrays on; only driver I've had to actually work. And its dated around the time Brad said they'd received the fixed driver from nvidia.

I'm running a 6800gt 256mb.

pumper
10-01-2004, 06:13 PM
that would be great ... can anyone confirm that this it reall the fixed driver

pumper
10-01-2004, 06:14 PM
that would be great... can anyone confirm that this it reall the fixed driver?

eXpaintz
10-01-2004, 06:46 PM
just instaled the new forceware 66.72 on my gf 5700 and no crashes so far.
in quad mode I also notice speed improvement.Ahh, and i do not get the startup errors
:) so far so good

MallenLane
10-01-2004, 06:49 PM
I'm pretty confident this is the fixed driver. Haven't had a crash in a few hours now.

JulesB
10-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Guru3D has a new driver up, Forceware 66.72..

I believe this is the driver with the fix in, so far no crashes for me for an hour even with vertex arrays on; only driver I've had to actually work. And its dated around the time Brad said they'd received the fixed driver from nvidia.

I'm running a 6800gt 256mb.
First, I did download the Forceware 66.70 driver.......but, embarrasingly........how do you install them? Modo is on a box with no internet access - so I copied the archive over, double-clicked it and got a Guru3D.com folder which contains a load of .dlls and .cfs and one .exe (nvudisp.exe) which reports as a Nvidia Uninstaller Utility. Or is that it but with a misleading name?

Second, someone said that having installed the Forceware driver (66.70 I think), they'd lost some of the standard display driver controls. So Forceware is fully fledged Nvidia drivers? I've got alot more than just Modo on this box, and everything else is fine, so I don't want to spend the weekend fixing Modo then find everything else doesn't like Forceware.

Julian.

MallenLane
10-01-2004, 07:04 PM
That's the wrong driver. You need specifically 66.72 , which will come with a full installer and all language support since its a whql release.

JaQues^T
10-01-2004, 07:23 PM
same here, im trying to crash modo but with no succes : )

JulesB
10-01-2004, 08:31 PM
That's the wrong driver. You need specifically 66.72 , which will come with a full installer and all language support since its a whql release.
Thanks! Got that and installed it OK. Running Modo now - time will tell!!! Update on the quad viewports is only marginally better, very stuttery. By contrast, LW Modeler works great in quad view, and Maya - realtime updates, near enough, smooth. Surely that makes this a Modo issue, and not a card one?

Julian.

Phil Lawson
10-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Seems to be going well so far. :thumbsup:

Levitateme
10-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Anyone have a link to the drivers? sorry i am not sure were to find

Aegis Prime
10-01-2004, 09:20 PM
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=881

Levitateme
10-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Thanks aegis, i installed...and i think i did something wrong it installed the drivers but did not ask me were to install them. it just said installing drivers. did i do something wrong? i figured i would ask youguys before i restart.

LNT
10-01-2004, 10:08 PM
just restart man...drivers go where they need to

pumper
10-01-2004, 10:15 PM
well must say 66.72 worx so far... seems to be faster... and stable... cnock on wood

pumper
10-01-2004, 10:19 PM
ok first crash.... extrude tool

MunCHeR
10-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Levitateme, were the drivers self executable or in a zip archive? Some of the ones I have gotten from guru3d had to be installed by just selecting the ini file from the hardware device manager, also you might have to use detonator rip )fromwww.guru3d.com to get rid of some files from previous versions, might not be a problem when installing newre versions but if you install older versions there could be a compatability problem.

MunCH

Levitateme
10-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Munch, they were originally in a .rar file. i unzipped and then found setup.exe in the setup folder that was extracted. and i have since restarted my pc .. . i am pretty sure this did nothing. i lookedat the driver version it says 6.6.7.2 now, buti tried modo for about 3 -5 min no crahes of course, but still very very slow vertex arrays were even on. yeah maybe some of the old drivers i tried installing originally are giving a conflict somehow? is there a way you know of to make it for certain only 1 driver is on here?

MunCHeR
10-01-2004, 11:01 PM
yeah I remember having troubles when I softquadro'd my geforce 4 , go to display properties(right click desktop)/settings/advanced/your card details tab and the window should tell you what driver various nvidia components are using, if they are your old versions, or even one then it migh be best to uninstall the drivers completely, delete any nvidia folders in your program files folder, reboot then use detonator RIP reboot again and install the new drivers you wanna try, then reboot again, I know its a pain but you want to be absolutely sure.

May the force be with you

eidt: in this case it would be nforce :D

MunCH

Sbowling
10-02-2004, 01:42 AM
I installed a different set of leaked drivers and they didn't seem to make a difference, so I never tried the ones posted here figuring they where the same. Finally I tried them today and they seem to work great! No crashes after several hours of modeling.:thumbsup:

pumper
10-02-2004, 02:14 AM
ok must report succes :) coupple hours no crash 66.72 is the first stabe modo driver

tested on:

Gforce FX5900 XT, quadro FX 3000, quador 980

JaQues^T
10-02-2004, 08:58 AM
:)

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/66.81/66.81_win2kxp_english.exe

juanjgon
10-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Anybody know if this new drivers are available to mobile chips ??? I have a Dell Inspiron with Gforce 4 4200 go with constant crashes now. I try downloading and installing last driver, but GO chips are not in the list to install ... so i have no solution now to work with modo in my laptop :sad:

Any solution ????
Thank you

pumper
10-02-2004, 06:37 PM
any n vidia driver worx on all of their cards... in general.... so also on toyr mobile one

Exan
10-02-2004, 07:06 PM
dunno why, but Modo worked perfect on my GeForce4 Ti4200 with 56.72
I'd updated the driver to 66.72, but now it is crashing !

So I have to reinstall 56.72 again.

Aegis Prime
10-02-2004, 07:47 PM
Go with the 42.51 drivers - Lux have confirmed they're good for modo and they always worked just great on my Ti4200 (and you can SoftQuadro 'em ;)).

Incidentally, the 66.81 drivers seem to be working real good for my GeForceFX 5900XT - no crashes so far...

Exan
10-02-2004, 08:22 PM
By the way...
What's SoftQuadro ?

DarkScience
10-02-2004, 10:30 PM
juanjgon,

nVidia's standard driver sets don't have complete support for the mobile chipsets. They leave this up to the notebook manufacturers to complete the proper support for their systems. However, go to www.laptopvideo2go.com (http://www.laptopvideo2go.com) and you can find modified INF files that will allow you to install all the latest drivers on your Dell Inspiron.
Anyway, as for my performance, I have been using the 66.17 nVidia drivers on my HP Notebook with FX5600 Go 128MB and Modo only occasionally crashes, maybe once every couple hours. On my desktop (GeForce 6800 Ultra) I was also using the 66.17 drivers and they worked OK, but I did have a bit more crashing than on the notebook. I upgraded to the 66.72 drivers and vertex arrays worked, however Modo (and it seems my other software) runs slower with the newer drivers. Stability is about the same.... I'll probably go back to the 66.17 drivers and wait for the official release.

Aegis Prime
10-02-2004, 10:34 PM
SoftQuadro is part of the functionality of a nifty tool called "RivaTuner" (http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner&menu=8)

Because the major difference between pro and consumer cards is the drivers, SoftQuadro/RivaTuner allows you to modify certain nVidia drivers to fool your PC into thinking you have a Quadro instead of a GeForce 2/3/4/FX

GeForce/Quadro 2 + 3 cards are physically identical and SoftQuadro will turn a GF2/3 into a card that performs identically to a Quadro 2/DCC

GeForce 4's are identical to Quadro 4's except for the fact that they don't support hardware anti-aliased lines as well as the Quadro range (only really an issue with CAD software although some 3D packages including Max support hardware AA lines)

GeForce FX's can also be SoftQuadro'ed although this is not supported by RivaTuner (the last officially supported nVidia driver for SoftQuadro'ing was 42.51 although some GFFX owners have reported success using later drivers)

Turning a GeForce into a Quadro will usually decrease performance for games but offers a number of benefits for 3D software, namely that it enables overlay support (used extensively by Maya) and also allows you to install the Maxtreme drivers if you're a 3DSMax user. Benefits to LightWave users are negligible as (up to this point) LightWave makes no use of the "pro" features of the Quadro cards.

DarkScience
10-03-2004, 12:25 AM
A couple other comments on SoftQuadro...

GeForce4 cards also lack the hardware overlay plane capability of Quadro4. QuadroFX cards have a few more abilities beyond standard GeForceFX series hardware too - including multiple hardware overlays and hardware stencil buffer. GeForceFX cards have gained the ability to do hardware AA lines though and the Quadro drivers are not needed to use them.

Hacking your card to a Quadro was useful with GeForce 2/3 hardware, but since has become a somewhat hit or miss operation. It can still work, but if you happen to run software that calls for one or more of the hardware features not present in the GeForce card, then it can lead to those functions being emulated in software and thus slowing your system down, or it can lead to instabilities (which is usually the case) and the application or even the whole system will crash as a certain expected hardware function just isn't there. For the most part, the newer GeForce driver sets provide all the speed for CAD style functions that the Quadro drivers provide and there really isn't a need for SoftQuadro.

Aegis Prime
10-03-2004, 08:28 AM
GeForce4 cards also lack the hardware overlay plane capability of Quadro4.
Incorrect - barring the hardware anti-aliased lines issue, the Ti4xxx range of GeForce 4's are identical to the Quadro 4 range of GFX cards.

For more info from RivaTuner's creator (Unwinder) check out the forums at www.guru3d.com

juanjgon
10-03-2004, 09:20 AM
nVidia's standard driver sets don't have complete support for the mobile chipsets. They leave this up to the notebook manufacturers to complete the proper support for their systems. However, go to www.laptopvideo2go.com (http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/) and you can find modified INF files that will allow you to install all the latest drivers on your Dell Inspiron.
Thank you for this tip :thumbsup: ... i am going to try now to get best stability.

Thank you again ...

JacquesD
10-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Does anyone knows if the release of this driver is a matter of weeks or months? I'd really like to use Modo in production but I just need it to be more stable than it is now.

Cheers,

The ripper.

kennez
10-03-2004, 10:53 AM
:)

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/66.81/66.81_win2kxp_english.exe
Thanks for the link. These seemed to solve my crashing problems using the 61.77 drivers with my FX5600XT

Aegis Prime
10-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Ripper: use the 66.81 drivers from nVidia - they seem a lot more stable - no problems here anyway :)

10-03-2004, 02:52 PM
I downloaded 66.80 and installed, and i am very glad to find that modo is pretty solid this time, no crash so far, but still got the warning...

I will test modo for another couple hours, if no crash show up this time, i really wanna to thank lux and nvidia!

DarkScience
10-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Incorrect - barring the hardware anti-aliased lines issue, the Ti4xxx range of GeForce 4's are identical to the Quadro 4 range of GFX cards.

For more info from RivaTuner's creator (Unwinder) check out the forums at www.guru3d.com (http://www.guru3d.com)
I'm not going to turn this into an argument or anything like that, so I'll just say this and be done with it. The information I posted came straight from the horse's mouth -- directly out of nVidia's developer docs and the chipset revision comparisons. I can't be more specific or post/quote any specific pieces as it's all protected under nVidia NDA. So I'll stick by what I said, people can choose to believe me or not (I don't really care). FWIW, while a lot of what's posted on guru3D and similar sites is very informative and most is technically accurate, there's a lot of bits and pieces that are missing.

Ejecta
10-03-2004, 10:56 PM
New 66.81 drivers are working good for me. Woohoo! Now maybe I can really get into digging into modo. I dont dont know about you guys but with the old drivers it was so bad I couldnt even get anything done.

JacquesD
10-04-2004, 06:51 AM
Thanks Aegis Prime... I'll try that one then... Hope you're right.

Cheers,

The ripper.

JacquesD
10-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Cool Aegis... with that 66.81 driver and my GForce FX 5700, I don't even get that warning message :)

Thanks again,

The ripper.

lougandidas
10-04-2004, 01:47 PM
What's the difference between the regular Nvidia drivers and the ForceWare drivers. I found when I installed the ForceWare drivers, I lost a lot of control (for example adjusting the my monitor settings) and those options weren't there with the ForceWare drivers.
Can someone explain this? I'm tired of jumping around drivers with little success. I'm using a Geforce 4Ti 4200 at work.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.