PDA

View Full Version : New to SI few questions :)

Savi
09-28-2004, 05:29 AM
sup, well Iím new to Softimage, been playing with 3d of and on last few years but I never really got into it and now I want to badly, Iíve played with most the programs, I found Maya and 3d max confusing at times, I really liked lightwave was going to buy it at one point but didnít. I remember SI was very costly few years ago and I see the Foundation is only 500 bucks and comes with tons of DVDís, Iím most likely gona buy it in a month or two, using the XSI EXP for hl2 one right now just to get the hang of it. Its layout I think is the easy of the 4 Iíve tired. But before I buy it small questions

they say it has more features than Maya Complete, that true? Maya complete costs 1500 more lol

What I really want to do is get good at modeling and get even better at animation, I hear this is the best animation software

I know this doesnít have all of the bell's and whistles of the most expensive version, but will I be able to create professional looking CG? Like hair, partials, etc. I really like to create my own short movies, will take allot of time and work I know but Iím going to.

Also any one have a link to a good tutorial for creating a person, and how to make and fit realistic textures to skin the model? Iím pretty good with Photoshop so I can make textures but Iím not sure hot to make a 3d model life like. I'm sorry if any of these questions sound dumb but Iím new :) I've checked out EdHarriss (member.php?u=834)'s website and I have to say man tons of tutorials but I wish they were a bit more organized (hint) :)

Rabid pitbull
09-28-2004, 06:21 AM
Keep in mind the dvds will not always be included, it is a promotion. The pricing is fixed, but the extra training dvd's will at some point not be included. I would imagine that it will be for a little longer, but I didn't want to miss the training disk so bought the package a few weeks ago.

Several threads here and elsewhere discuss the features of xsi packages, so I won't go into too much detail. Basically it is fully featured missing very few tools reserved for the other versions. You will have full ability to create powerful animations and modeling is very fluid. Download the foundation demo, it is fully featured for 30 days with nothing added or missing from the full foundation package.

Shinova
09-28-2004, 06:59 AM
I dunno about Foundation. Maybe you might wanna save up and buy Essentials if you wanna commit to XSI. (try out the EXP version for a couple of weeks or so---see if you really do like the app)

Reason being Foundation doesn't have subds (IIRC) and subds are one of XSI's strong points.

Savi
09-28-2004, 07:06 AM
I dunno about Foundation. Maybe you might wanna save up and buy Essentials if you wanna commit to XSI. (try out the EXP version for a couple of weeks or so---see if you really do like the app)

Reason being Foundation doesn't have subds (IIRC) and subds are one of XSI's strong points.
what are subds? what would i need them for

Savi
09-28-2004, 07:08 AM
oh and are those realy worth the 1500 extra for the cost? i cant afford that now i can afford the 500 version, and if i did get the fund wont i be able to upgrade?

CraigT
09-28-2004, 07:27 AM
Foundation does indeed have Sub D's. :-) Frankly I couldn't be more thrilled with this $500 deal but someone who NEEDS hair or rigid dynamics might want to think twice about it. Of course they could always upgrade later for the extra $$$$$. BTW, I do have MAYA Complete but MUCH prefer XSI for most things- tools, etc. just seem to be implemented better(much in some cases). This is personal opinion of course. :-)

Craig

JDex
09-28-2004, 07:29 AM
Shinova... where do you get your information???

XSI has exactly the same implementation of Subdivision Surfaces as Essentials and Advanced.

For the bottom line...

http://www.softimage.com/products/Xsi/v4/comparison/default.asp

Ordibble-Plop
09-28-2004, 07:51 AM
FYI

My reseller in New Zealand told me that the Production series DVD promotion will end at the end of September (I have seen the same thing on resellers' sites in Australia).

Maybe they will extend it to lure more buyers, maybe not; might be best to call Softimage if anyone is hesitating.

Shinova
09-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Shinova... where do you get your information???

*points to head*

It's called "bad memory". :D

My bad, mates.

optical op
09-28-2004, 09:19 AM
Bought foundation recently, and I am delighted with it. Dont think about what you are not getting, look at what you are! I would say that for modelling and animation, XSI is better than anything else I have used. period

SevenString
09-28-2004, 06:50 PM
I just want to add that, although I'm fairly new to Foundation, in my DECADES of 3d experience, no application has made me say, "that is SO COOL!" as much as Foundation has in the past couple of months.

For me, the excitement of new software always wears off fairly quickly, leaving me with a "just another tool in my arsenal" feeling.

So far, XSI has been the exception. XSI|Foundation is such a deep piece of software that I'm discovering new things about it every time I use it.

As I have said before, WOW WOW WOW!

Buy it, and you will NOT be disappointed. XSI has been the most satisfying software purchase that I have ever made.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.