PDA

View Full Version : Work Plane Script.

armr
09-28-2004, 01:08 AM
Dear community,

After many tests using the Work plane, it appears to me that its main applications are:
-custom oriented creation of new geometry (primitives, curves, ...)
-custom orientation of any kind of axis based tools.
That's great!

But I would like to know if it's possible to write a Script allowing the followings steps:

1. Create a Work plane.
2. Select some geometry.
3. Choose and place the action center.
4. Run the Script.
> The selected geometry is translated and rotated to the Work plane origin ,
so its action center pivot new coordinates would match the Work plane Center X,Y,Z
and Rotation X,Y,Z.

Such a script would simply be the best birthday present I could never have.

kursad_pileksuz
09-28-2004, 05:32 AM
i agree , workplane is a great idea and can be handy for many tools, like to eb able to use slice with work plane for example

in my opinion such script may work on selections rather than objects, because modo does not keep rotational information about individual objects. you may ask, what if you select whole object then apply it, then modo will try to average normals of whole selection and come up with an average rotational idea and apply it, and in my opinion that idea may fail for most of the objects as far as i know about modo

Dear community,

After many tests using the Work plane, it appears to me that its main applications are:
-custom oriented creation of new geometry (primitives, curves, ...)
-custom orientation of any kind of axis based tools.
That's great!

But I would like to know if it's possible to write a Script allowing the followings steps:

1. Create a Work plane.
2. Select some geometry.
3. Choose and place the action center.
4. Run the Script.
> The selected geometry is translated and rotated to the Work plane origin ,
so its action center pivot new coordinates would match the Work plane Center X,Y,Z
and Rotation X,Y,Z.

Such a script would simply be the best birthday present I could never have.

armr
09-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the answer,

I think I didn't express myself clearly enough because of my poor english.
I'll try to be more accurate:

The script should be a "modo" version of the cplane (http://www.ats-3d.com/cplane/cplane.htm) plugin for lightwave by Al Street.
In this plug, the translation/rotation of all the layer geometry is based on the normal of the selected poly, moving it in (X,Y,Z)=0 and (H,P,B)=0.

In modo, if you type edit Work plane, you get a window with its absolute coordinate ( position XYZ and rotation XYZ). So the script should "read" those values and map it to the choosen action center and translate/rotate the selected geometry according to that pivot.

The steps could be:

1. Create a Work plane.
2. Select some geometry.
3. Select the move 3D tool and define your apropriate action center/axis.
4. Run the Script.
> The script reads the Work plane X,Y,Z origin location and move the selection so its
action center match those coordinates.
> The script select the rotation tool and keep the previous geometry selection and
action center/axis
> The script reads the Work plane X,Y,Z rotation and rotate the selection so its
action center match those coordinates.

5. Et voil ! I can now move any existing geometry anywhere I want in a fraction of
a second. No more needs of mesurement and tricky positionning. I get more time for
my family.

kursad_pileksuz
09-28-2004, 05:39 PM
i have not used that script in lightwave but seems like a really good one. and in that case , that idea can work i guess. lets see , maybe joe will see this post, he can do something about it maybe

rob baldwin
09-28-2004, 09:42 PM
I don't see how this is too different from hitting the 'Home' and 'End' keys while selecting off axis polygons?

1) Make a box
2) Rotate is like mad
3) Select a side
4) Hit 'Home'
5) Set your action center to 'Origin'
6) Edit all you like
6) Hit 'End'

Seems to do all the stuff that the LW PI does... modo's constuction planes feature is very powerful. It can take averages of lots of polys, or snap to viewports, and then quickly get back to the 'world axis' when you need it to. You can even 'nudge' the constuction planes up and down (what lux calls workPlane.walk) using 'Page Up' and 'Page Down'

You can even set the workPlane numerically (workPlane.edit) and then map that to a key, say if you're building something that's always 60 degrees of axis or something... hit something like 'Alt-Home' to skew the planes, then 'End' to go world; cool stuff. If your Action Center is in 'Origin' you're all good.

-rob

rob baldwin
09-28-2004, 09:58 PM
yeah, I do see now how different that is... sorry. I didn't really get what you were after.
You basically want a way to "Align to Alternate Workplane"

I'll agree, that'd be a neat script.

I'll leave the other post up for others who might want to reference workplane stuff... =P

-rob

armr
09-28-2004, 10:55 PM
Mr Rob, you just found the perfect name for that script: "Align to Alternate Workplane".
Until some altruistic talented scripter writes it, I will try to write it myself...
Since I've never wrote any Script before, I guess it's a good opportunity to test modo's
"easy-scripting" architecture.

P.S: I know this script is not absolutely necessary if you start building your model from zero;
but in case you start from imported files ( and in Architecture, for example, you always
do ), lining up and positionning geometry is a big issue.

P.P.S: Another Workplane issue : Too bad Workplane doesn't affect absolutely all
modo's axis based functions. For example, "Drill" and "Set position" are not affected
by an active alternate Workplane. It would be very nice to "push" further this
wonderfull feature that is "Workplane".

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.