PDA

View Full Version : Animatrix models

Wiro
08-12-2002, 03:09 PM
Booyah! I was sent this link by a friend.
Models for Animatrix (matrix anime), FF, FF-IX and more on the webpage of Francisco Cortina.
Awesome modelling!

Although...I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't go for a more stylized look in Animatrix :shrug:

http://www.digitalsculptor.net/

Wiro

Taoizm
08-12-2002, 03:26 PM
damn, thanks for that link. some awesome stuff in there.

dmonk
08-12-2002, 03:30 PM
Those models are awsome.

Your right wiro. If it's animated it would have been cooler if they looked animated. But I'm sure I'll still love it.

Thanks for the link:thumbsup:

lildragon
08-12-2002, 03:31 PM
spectacular!!! awesome link Wiro, it's on 3dfestival.com as well ;)

salud!

gL_spear
08-12-2002, 03:31 PM
Savage stuff..... thanks for the link wiro :thumbsup:

flamedevil
08-12-2002, 03:55 PM
Very beautiful works :buttrock: :buttrock: .

thanx.

Sinister
08-12-2002, 04:19 PM
yeah awsome!!

hypercube
08-12-2002, 05:12 PM
@#$$%.. :buttrock:

Realism may be an unhealthy obsession, but I'm all for pushing the envelope, and they're still the best at that for modeling and texturing..that guy rocks..great to see more of her.

Some cool stuff in the other sections too, like things that weren't even in the FF movie book..

Thanks for the link, hope he updates.

P.S. I haven't heard anything since, but IS there still an Animatrix piece from Square being done? If hawaii is closed, who's doing it?

d3v1n
08-12-2002, 05:43 PM
owww its 3d...i thought its gonna be 2d.,because they called it anime :)

hypercube
08-12-2002, 06:31 PM
There will be 2D as well, theirs is the only 3D one out of 9 segments..

You can see a little more here..they don't seem to indicate or say anything like square's piece won't be done, but then I dunno how old this page is by now.. :shrug:

http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/rl_cmp/animatrix_flash.html

And of course if you get the "Matrix Revisited" supplemental DVD it has the original info about Animatrix..it's worth picking up, great making of stuff, it basically turns the first movie DVD into a 2-disc set, nothing's repeated..

JacquesD
08-12-2002, 06:37 PM
The best I've seen so far, just what artists need to try to go further in their skills.

Thanks for the link Wiro, really. :)

I couldn't download all of them, It seems that the site is over crowded already. :shrug:

Wiro
08-12-2002, 06:41 PM
Hope it doesn't kill they guy's bandwidth :thumbsup:

From what I've understood, Animatrix is completed (or handled by some other Square studio?) and was done to cut the losses that FF made...

Hope someone have some better info

Wiro

Khepri
08-12-2002, 07:07 PM
this stuff...

I have seen this one year ago I think :S

superb modeling...
is that subdivs(the clothing) or Nurbs?

santiago
08-12-2002, 07:25 PM
That is so amazing, I was also totally impressed by his work in Final Fantasy... how cool dudes?

Is this guy a CG Talk member??
I think we should invite him to participate in a thread about his work guys, I personally have so many questions that I'd like to ask him

HapZungLam
08-12-2002, 09:26 PM
he did it all by himself? i guess so according to what 's in his resume

flamedevil
08-12-2002, 09:44 PM
I agree with santiago, i think it could be very interesting to talk with this guy.

AWWWWWWEEESSSSSSSSOMMMMMMMMEEEE PICTURES !!!

I want a personal wallpaper from this guy :)

dark_lotus
08-12-2002, 10:45 PM
Freaky Stuff.

Its sooo cool

Wiro
08-12-2002, 10:45 PM
I'd be very surprised if he'd done everything by himself. Projects like that are always collaborative processes. His CV says he modelled faces, hands and hair on FF so probably somebody else did the bodies as well as rigged, posed, shaded.

Likewise he modeled the bodies for Animatrix...damn fine job if you ask me. But again there's always teamwork behind it I think.

Wiro

PhilOsirus
08-12-2002, 10:54 PM
Maaaaaan! I've been playing FF since I was a wee-lad, and it's probably what got me into 3D too. FF has just that other-world feeling rarely expressed so well. This guy is awsome! I hope I'll be that good someday (yeah right!!):D

roger
08-12-2002, 11:32 PM
If you hold the mouse curser over the image, it will tell who did what on the model.

Great modeling and texturing!

The Magic Pen
08-13-2002, 01:16 AM
Someday im gonna be a master 3D artist like that :applause:

Flypaper
08-13-2002, 03:15 AM
Taking photorealism to a new level. I have to applaud work like that. Plus it's a catch 22 to see the Final Fantasy heroine in her underwear!!

WarlockXKZ
08-13-2002, 03:56 AM
Just noticed that the guy that modeled Aki aparently don't bother too much in keeping all quads and his work is not affected at all by this. You can see in this picture what i'm talking about: many triangles and an awesome character model.

http://www.digitalsculptor.net/FinalFantasyMovie/akiMaxim/akiMaxim_wireframe.jpg

Perhaps I shouldn't care that much for the triangles in my models, unless they are ruining the mesh, or am I missing something?

Whirlwind
08-13-2002, 03:59 AM
I believe this works best. :bowdown:

francisco
08-13-2002, 05:24 AM
Thank you for your kind words guys.
I didn't expect my stuff to become so public. :surprised

I'm going to put a hold on the Tori (The red-head) image and the Jue in leather images for a while... just in case... since they haven't been shown publicly quite yet.

Thanks again,

-Francisco

francisco
08-13-2002, 05:53 AM
Warlock,

The aki body mesh (maxim) was abit rough in some spots, but in other areas, it was actually on purpose.

When the Subdivision Surface is generated from the control mesh, it is essentially converting all the faces into Quadrilaterals.

In some areas the topology is slightly tweaked (And may seem odd at first glance). This isbecause we need to also consider the UV sets and their borders, as well as how they all fit together.

So to answer your question about tris... generally I avoid them but in terms of catmull clark scheme, the tris all go away...

-Francisco

Originally posted by WarlockXKZ
Just noticed that the guy that modeled Aki aparently don't bother too much in keeping all quads and his work is not affected at all by this. You can see in this picture what i'm talking about: many triangles and an awesome character model.

http://www.digitalsculptor.net/FinalFantasyMovie/akiMaxim/akiMaxim_wireframe.jpg

Perhaps I shouldn't care that much for the triangles in my models, unless they are ruining the mesh, or am I missing something?

beaker
08-13-2002, 06:38 AM
Mtor subd's are much more forgiving when using tri's. You don't get those crazy knots like you do with maya's and other 3d app's subdivs.

beaker
08-13-2002, 06:48 AM
francisco

One question. What other movies did you guys do visual fx for before they closed the doors? (April was it?) Though your resume says your still in Honolulu.

francisco
08-13-2002, 07:33 AM
We only did a music video as part of a promo for FF and the Animatrix CG short. So, no, we really didn't do any fx work for another company.

But, overall, the studio (HNL) created 2 full games (Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon 2 and FinalFantasy IX), and two flics, Final Fantasy: TSW and Animatrix (hardly qualifying as a flic).

I'm actually residing in Glendale (Haven't updated the resume)
and working for Dreamworks.

-Francisco

Originally posted by beaker
francisco

One question. What other movies did you guys do visual fx for before they closed the doors? (April was it?) Though your resume says your still in Honolulu.

Aura
08-13-2002, 07:53 AM
Amazing!
:bounce:

S. J. Tubbrit
08-13-2002, 07:56 AM
Fantastic works,

Francisco, wireframes are great, but I'd love to see some shots of the hair (wireframe shots or detail shots) or a very, very brief explanation of how you went about creating it, was this the inhouse shader (renderman code) or a mixture, did you texture the head underneath, etc, etc?

santiago
08-13-2002, 08:15 AM
I remember reading at AWN that Square Studios was making a ten minute animation sequence for The Matrix Reloaded before shutting down...?
Well, I'd rather trust Francisco who actually worked in the company.
It's great to know that there are guys in this forum that work in such companies as Dreamworks. I think there's a huge gap that seperates those who have broken into the industry and those who haven't (like me for example).
I hope that with time that gap gets smaller and smaller, so that the transition from wanting to be somewhere and actually being there is not so stressful. When I see great 3D art like this, I either get inspired, or discouraged (oh yeah, and I'm always entertained, it just gets better and better).
But you know, I'm a patient guy, I'll just keep at it as best as I can.

By the way, I bought this book of the making of Final Fantasy. Although the movie's plot didn't entertain me much, the artwork is fabulous. I enjoyed looking thru the concept art much more than watching the actual movie (except for watching Dr. Sid act, that was sweeeet). Even though the box office didn't react well to the movie, I think it was a great contribution to the world of CG.

francisco
08-13-2002, 08:44 AM
S.J.

We had a custom hair creation tool to model the hair with. The basic idea was to create a "scalp" and then control guides that were attached to the scalp could be styled and shaped as needed. I'd estimate that we had about 25 different conrollable attributes (Very similar to Maya fur) that would give us control over how the hairs grew out of the scalp and through the guides.
Overall, each character had about 70,000 hairs, and it was a major pain on the rendering side of things.

Since we used Renderman, we made full use of the RICurves functionality for ribbon rendering and custom wrote shadow controls that hooked into the ribGenerator. The shaders were custom written and included some anisotropic-like calculations.

If I can remember, I think I talk alittle about hair in the dvd if you have it(*grin*).

-F

Originally posted by S. J. Tubbrit
Fantastic works,

Francisco, wireframes are great, but I'd love to see some shots of the hair (wireframe shots or detail shots) or a very, very brief explanation of how you went about creating it, was this the inhouse shader (renderman code) or a mixture, did you texture the head underneath, etc, etc?

Wiro
08-13-2002, 09:50 AM
Thanks Fransisco for joining in! Great work on the modelling. I noticed that the forearms are twisted which makes sense now that I think of it :)
At what point during modelling was this done?

Also the cloth on the models looks very detailed in the wrinkles and folds. Are those simulated or actually hand modeled?

And finally...what was personally more fun for you and which ones are you the most proud of? The stylized and really beautiful models in FF9 or the ones you worked on in FF and Animatrix?

:thumbsup:

Wiro

Marcel
08-13-2002, 12:23 PM
Hello Francisco,

First off, let me tell you that I really admire your work, I think it's amazing!

I'd like to ask you what kind of reference you use when modelling heads. Do you use a sculpture as reference, or do you work solely off photo's?

In your resume you state that you have a background in traditional art, did you have 'real life' sculpting experience before you started modelling in 3d?

(I've made my first steps in organic modelling recently, modelling a female torso. The Aki wireframe was really helpfull as a guide for how to make the edges flow. A big thanks for that! :) )

facial
08-13-2002, 01:07 PM
:buttrock:
Very nice works i love it.

:thumbsup:

reaver
08-13-2002, 05:36 PM
Fantastic work Francisco,

Very impressive. After seeing some awesome patch and nurbs models I was starting to wonder if I had made the right choice by concentrating on sub d's but if you're producing that kind of work with them, thats more than good enough for me.

I take my hat off to you.

Cheers.

Nick.

wrs_anim8r
08-13-2002, 09:25 PM
I normally just lurk and read, but I have to baske here in my 15 minutes of fame. First of all, I'd like to thank Francisco for giving credit to the artists who contributed to the various tasks of the models and environments.

I happen to be a good friend of Steve Giesler's and managed to spend many an hour with him at a bar during the weekend of July 4th. He went on and on about everything that was involved in the FF movie and the Animatrix, and he too talked highly of / and gave credit to all who were involved. Just listening to him was an incredible learning experience for me, and I can't wait to see his work (as well as your's, Francisco) on the big screen again.

-- back to lurking --

Ckerr812
08-13-2002, 11:07 PM
Wow..that is amazing stuff, really inspirational. I been playing Final Fantasy Games since the beginning, and always wondered who the great minds where behind those CG scenes. My computer just moans at me looking at that mesh :)

To bad Final Fantasy didn't do so well in the theatres, seemed to me like there was a lot cut out of the original story? I mean personally having scene the complete stories from all the games, the movie was a let down in the story department, but was so amazing in the art department. It's such a shame, I would love to see this kinda stuff on the big screen every year. I suppose in time that movie will have a cult status for sure :)

WarlockXKZ
08-14-2002, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by francisco
So to answer your question about tris... generally I avoid them but in terms of catmull clark scheme, the tris all go away...

-Francisco
[/B]

Hi Francisco, I'll keep this in mind when I'm modeling for now on.

Ok, I can't waste this opportunity to say that your work is really inspiring for me.

Thank you for your reply.

thinKer3D
08-14-2002, 04:20 AM
:: Extraordinary to say the least! ::

:bowdown:

Jeremy
08-14-2002, 07:39 AM
truely wonderful. how long do you usually spend on a body model like that?

ReneAlex
05-08-2003, 10:58 PM
they are back online!

images are online again...

francisco cortina website (animatrix models) (http://www.digitalsculptor.net/mx/matrix.html)

pomme
05-09-2003, 04:57 AM
how was the cloth made?

jason-slab
05-09-2003, 07:15 AM
kickass work francisco!:buttrock:

i would guess that the clothing is hand modeled:D, am i right?

|jason

Solesurvivor
05-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Wiro
Hope it doesn't kill they guy's bandwidth :thumbsup:

From what I've understood, Animatrix is completed (or handled by some other Square studio?) and was done to cut the losses that FF made...

Hope someone have some better info

Wiro

they already made that up by releasing FFX and Kingdom hearts ;)

and wow, these models are awesome, I hope just one day,i'll be able to touch such a level of perfection

ceql
05-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Wow!! Great find!! :bounce: :bounce: :applause: :applause: :bounce: :applause: :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.