PDA

View Full Version : Bad Riff Data?

Christoff
09-27-2004, 04:42 PM
i downloaded the trial of painter 9 recently. i have probably spent about 4 hours on this painting so far, and have been saving often. i have been able to open it up before, but for some reason when i opened up painter this morning and tried to open the file, it came up with an error box that says "bad riff data"... does anyone have any ideas on what this means, or how to fix it? any help would be aweome. thanks ahead of time guys :thumbsup:

Bars
09-27-2004, 07:39 PM
There was a TIP on Anry's site: www.anry.ru , saying not to save files in RIFF fromat, because it cause some errors and anomalies in paintings after reopening them. Im working with Painter 8 and so far didnt get any problems saving in RIFF, but just to be sure i resaved all my works in PSD /when there are layers/ and TIFF/without layers/. Ah, yes i remember same problem with earlier versions of Painter, after using too much saves while working. I hope this is not transfered in Painter IX :(

rebo
09-28-2004, 12:57 PM
One good suggestion is to save sequentially like painting1.rif paintint2.rif etc, so that if your latest one mixes up u wont loose your whole painting.

mcarp
09-28-2004, 01:29 PM
by using the "Iterative Save." It will add the numercial sequence at the end of the file name, before the extension.

Christoff
09-28-2004, 10:24 PM
thanks alot for the suggestions guys, i guess i'll do that from now on when i paint.

i take it there's no way to ressurect this current file huh?

Chuster
09-29-2004, 02:55 AM
Christoff, you may be able to resurect the file from the Painter script menu. Painter generally saves your work as a script or a short period of time. Open the script pallet and go to load Library. Then select the last script or a script dated about the time you last stopped working on the file. (if you havent tried any more work) and play back the script to a point just before it was last saved. stop it ans save it under another name. Should be able to retrieve if it's still there. Jin could explain this much better. Help Jin

Jinbrown
09-29-2004, 05:36 AM
Chuster,

Nope. You did just fine. I can't explain it any better than you did, even if I probably would use more words (as is my habit and as anyone who knows me knows). ;)

delunchen
09-29-2004, 04:28 PM
From what i have seened from other people's experience, it looks like riff file have quite a high tendancy to get corrupted without any good warning.

I have being using painter 8 and i dont have such a problem up to now, but to be safe, i start to save my work as psd files instead.

Christoff
09-29-2004, 05:17 PM
thanks for the tip chuster :) i'll definately remember that next time this happens. unfortunately, it wasnt there :cry: but its ok. i'll just chalk it up to a learning experience i guess. happy painting everyone :)

tayete
09-30-2004, 02:14 PM
What I cannot understand is the subborness of the marketing department of Corel, not allowing the structure of RIFF files to be widely known. I think it would help avoid this kind of errors, it would let graphic browsers (ACDSee, etc...) use Painter's files...

I guess there must be some good reason behind their decission, but frankly, once PSD (Photoshop) files are open-sourced, I cannot see the logic behind not letting Painter's files be the same. :(

yolk
10-06-2004, 01:08 PM
what yous mean??? really??

Nolita
10-08-2004, 03:44 PM
I've had RIF and PSD files corrupt on me. I learned my lesson, I save at high res in as many formats as possible including tiff and jpeg, I only just started doing it, but now I don't have any problems with totally losing a pic, I'd rather lose my layers than lose the entire pic, happened with my tree pic, and after crying my eyes out at not being able to salvage it through a low res jpeg from a wips thread, I decided to start saving in every format as often as possible.

matsuru
10-09-2004, 07:57 AM
hey guys. i have the same experience here myself. i have worked on a few animation backgrounds that i took a really long time to do (mostly 1 full day) and it got corrupted, in both RIFF and PSD saved in Painter.

I notice 1 thing. when u save in PSD format in Painter, the thumbnail dint show up when u view the file. but when u save it in Photoshop, thumbnail appears.

My guess is Painter's SAVE is not stable. files will corrupt due to unknown factors. so this is wat i do.

I always save a new file with numbered names whenever i save while working. ( as mention in ealier posts by forum members :D ) Then, before i close my file or quit Painter, i will reopen the PSD file (saved in Painter) again in Photoshop, and resave it, and duplicate another file will different name. that way, i have 2 files with the same content. whichever i lost, i still have the other one.

I hope this experience of mine helps.

Thanks for sharing ur experience and tips everyone.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.