PDA

View Full Version : PA Challenge - Vehicle - Marc

Marc Andreoli
02-05-2002, 02:06 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~andreoli73/stills/wip.jpg

alright, I put my hand into the gears, I'm getting pulled in...aaaaaaah...ok, I joined the challenge. :D

anyway, this is just the beginning, I know the 'alternative engine' is missing and it still needs a lot of work to clean it up and add details, but you get the basic idea...you do, right ? I'd also like to do a basic environment, see how it goes. And grime, need dirt and dust...once the modeling is done.

Hopefully I'll be able to render out in global illumination mode next time (add that extra bit of quality, hey, it comes for free ;) Somehow VRay won't render anything on my computer anymore, not sure if I miss something or if I just need to reinstall it, it worked a couple of days ago...oh well, the mysteries of science.

comments, suggestions, yes you in the back please...
thanks,
-marc

Joebount
02-05-2002, 04:08 PM
Playskool ? :D :D :D
hum hum hum, sorry ...
Nice design, a bit too smooth maybee !
Where are the 3 other wheels ?

Marc Andreoli
02-05-2002, 10:38 PM
Playschool ? Plaaaaaaaaayschool ? Hey, you are absolutely right ! :D
Let me 'roughen it up a little bit', and don't worry, those extra wheels are coming...

NowInc
02-05-2002, 10:45 PM
Ironically..thats like the "reverse" version of something I was working on...

I'll post my WIP later today (hopefully) so you can see what I meant...of course thankfully mine is FAR from done..and easily changeable in its current state...

Marc Andreoli
02-06-2002, 02:19 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~andreoli73/stills/wip2.jpg

ok, here is a little update. It only has five wheels, I guess I will have to add a spare wheel:D

Some parts are still a bit 'coarse', that blue box for example. I know, it is a damn fine blue box, but it will eventually be replaced by the fuel tanks/engine. Speaking of which: this vehicle runs on minerals, in other words dust. How is that for a freaky concept ? I plan on molding the dents of the rear wheel into little scoops, so it constantly grabs some sand and transfers it to the tanks/engine.
I know, this vehicle won't be able to go very fast as it would just throw sand all over the place (and none into the engine), but I think one would have plenty of time in a post apocalyptic scenario...time would probably be the only thing left after a good ol' apocalypse, right ? :D

what do you think ?

-marc
(oh, and global illumination is working again, wohoooo)

Vic3k
02-06-2002, 02:59 PM
i like it, very original and unusual

Marc Andreoli
02-07-2002, 01:42 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~andreoli73/stills/wip3.jpg

Thanks Vic3K. I'll take 'unusual' as a compliment :D
a little bit more modeling done...I think I will start texturing soon.

Here is some more background info to the vehicle concept: the blue box is a self contained 'quartz' engine, it has been taken from a deserted research facility and constitutes the heart of the vehicle. The rest is just bits and pieces of other vehicles soldered together (an old truck, pieces of a helicopter, hey, is that a part from a broken hovercraft over there ? :p ).

Now, how does a quartz engine work ? How would I know, I am not a rocket scientist.

Feel free to comment (pluuuuuuueeeeeeze), any ideas for the texturing ? Oh, you are right, I am supposed to come up with the ideas...;)

-marc

Marc Andreoli
02-08-2002, 08:09 AM
I think I will start to work on a character to draw some attention...:rolleyes:

-marc

oozeballz
02-08-2002, 08:20 AM
dont know if a charcter would help to get attention.. i've been working on mine since last week and only gotten a few comments..

any ways... love the truck man ... but where are the doors?...

and whats its pupuse?

appart from the doors is looking really nice.. some rims would look cool with those heave duty tires

Marc Andreoli
02-13-2002, 06:43 AM
not a big update...but it has been a while
http://home.earthlink.net/~andreoli73/stills/wip4.jpg

oooops, hoped nobody would notice the lack of doors, damn. But who needs doors when there is a hatch. :D
Doors are so AA (ante apocalypse)...:p

I also added some rims, thanks for the feedback.

I still need to add details here and there, but I also started some work on textures. The dirt on the windshield is my first try, it probably needs some streaks under the wipers. Any suggestions on how to treat the 'glass', it would be cool if I did not have to model the inside, but having the glass all opaque is kind of strange...reminds me of oakley sunglasses. Only bigger.

-marc

Capt Lightwave
02-14-2002, 11:20 AM
Great vehicle, I just love the dirty windshield.

Is the driver supposed to enter the cabin by the porthole on the roof? If then, I'd make some steps or a ladder to ba able to get there without using the cables as lianes.

Definately a thing I wouldn't like getting run over by ;)

Keep up the good work.

KOryH
02-15-2002, 12:34 AM
Great job!
I am loving these vehicles.
One question though, What is the Scale of these things.
Right now, to me, they seem like the size of a tonka truck or something like a toy. Maybe by adding some relitive small details that show scale would be beneficial. And never forget the power of Tertiary detail. This can be added in mesh or texture. Tertiary or third level details can be things like rivets door, handles, the division of panels and the like. Most of the time they are things that most every body has an idea of how big they are. so then thay can extrapilate the overall size of an object by its parts.

Sorry for the babble.
I really like your designs!
Keep up the good work

Stygian
02-20-2002, 04:17 AM
Hi ,
Actually I like the opaque glass polarized glass would make since in AA the ozone is more than likely trashed and the UV would be hell. transparent glass would be asking for an oven and who has the energy to combat it with AC ?;)

Stygian

Bytehawk
02-20-2002, 06:41 AM
your models are coming along nicely.

keep it up !!

:D

Marc Andreoli
02-22-2002, 12:32 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~andreoli73/stills/wip5.jpg

Thanks for the feedback and encouraging words. I only added a little geometry, and started texturing. Did not go too far, you know how it is...time.

Capt Lightwave: I added the ladder. You are supposed to climb in from the back. Still quite acrobatic, but hey, it works. And if it does not, I'll fix it with some duct tape ;)

KOryH: You are right about the scale/tertiary detail thing. I want to add more detail with textures. Should be getting there. In the worst case, I'll just create a bad ass character in a very cool pose on the last day of the competition. Just for the human scale. Hmmm...maybe I should start working on those textures :rolleyes:

Stygian: That is what I am talking about...thanks for backing me up. Feel free to give me more excuses...ehm...I mean solid arguments to defend my design :D

Bytehawk: thanks for the motivation... :)

Marc Andreoli
02-28-2002, 04:02 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~andreoli73/stills/wip6.jpg

as it says, work in progress...I don't quite like the dirt on the tires yet, and a lot of areas still need to be textured. I also need to get that environment going. Is it just me, or does time just fly by ?
-marc

KOryH
02-28-2002, 04:16 AM
WOW!
I love it!
It looks like some thing my character would like to drive if he didn't already have a fairly good mode of transportation already.

Reall, It is looking very cool. I just can't stop looking at it!

CerberusC
02-28-2002, 04:23 AM
yes, i think taht too, very original model, but my character wont drive it...he would like to destroy it...cause he can`t mount on it (too little for him :P hehehe)

Seriously, i like so much your vehicle

Bytehawk
02-28-2002, 04:41 AM
that's some mighty fine texturing work you got goin on there. Can you tell me what you use to get the edges of your panels looking more worn than the middle?

Spiritron
02-28-2002, 06:13 AM
Just checked out your entry, and thought what a great model. Then I went back to the compilation page and noticed that I didn't see the image that was on your thumbnail.
I came back and looked at the second page, and I'm almost speechless. Great work - makes me think about all the possibilities. You gotta share your texturing techniques. I would much appreciate it.

Marc Andreoli
02-28-2002, 10:34 AM
whow guys, thanks !

My texturing techniques are pretty straightforward. I use 3Dsmax, but I guess it works pretty much the same in all 3D apps. No procedurals used here, and no fancy texture layers just plain good old color, bump and specular maps...:p

Below is an illustration of the flattened UV's and texture maps (done in Photoshop). The basic idea is to make a screengrab of your UV map, import it into Photoshop (or whatever you use) and paint all elements (base color, noisy texture, scratches, worn edges, dirt, rivets etc.) on separate layers. You can then just adjust the colors to get the color map.

For the bump map:black=low, white=high. I set the average color to 50%gray and the scratches and worn edges to black (just invert the layer used for the color map), as they go into the surface. The dirt is plain white, as it sticks out of the surface. The same principles apply to the rivets and seams.

For the specular map: black=matte, white=reflective. I started with a black background and kept the scratches and worn patches white, as the body paint should be matte and the metal underneath (showing through the scratches) more reflective. I turned the dirt black to make sure it is always matte.

Hope this makes sense. The main work is mapping your geometry, know how to break it down and adjust the UV's. After that it is just Photoshop fun. And the good part is: you don't have to worry about making clean textures when you need a dirty look !:D

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks again for the kind words.
-marc

http://home.earthlink.net/~andreoli73/stills/patexture.jpg

Bytehawk
02-28-2002, 05:00 PM
wow, thanks for sharing. I thought you were using procedurals.

painting takes so much time and is hard if you keep add ingstuff to it. Believe me, I tried :D, and switched to procedurals

pabbloz
02-28-2002, 06:32 PM
uau!!! It's excelent!!! Amazing!! Awesome textures!
Why don't you add a chimney? It would be greater! :)

Spiritron
02-28-2002, 09:57 PM
Yes, Thanks for sharing. I've seen a couple of tutorials on this, but you managed to get it all on one page. Your pics and the values for the colors make this a very useful tool. I will use it as a guide when painting textures. Also, have you tried procedurals, and have you noticed any difference in rendering time? Thanks again.

goodlag
02-28-2002, 10:19 PM
wow great texture

i like model cute car:p

Marc Andreoli
03-05-2002, 12:06 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~andreoli73/stills/wip7.jpg

So I added a 'chimney', just to make sure I might even remotely have a chance to get a point from Pabbloz... :p

I also started to play around with the environment. I want to add some more random things here and there to give it more depth, maybe some smoke/dustclouds on the horizon (anybody got a suggestion on how to do that ?).

I added the 'golden arches' as a reminder of old glory :D I probably need to weather it a little bit, although I kind of like its current 'artificial' look...

The texturing on the vehicle is almost complete. Wooohooooo ! But then there is not much time left anyway :rolleyes:

-marc

pabbloz
03-05-2002, 01:29 PM
hey Marc!! you almost have my vote!, but... where is the smoke :p
hehe, come on, you're near! :D

I really like the "holes of the wheels" and the "Makdonald" banner :D :D (maybe some dirtier).

Go on adding more random details in the environment and dust, clouds.... you know,.... depth of field...

Only I can critic that I don't like too much the clean part of the glass,... but it's hard I don't have a better idea because I suppose you haven't modelled the inside.

Marc Andreoli
03-06-2002, 01:05 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~andreoli73/stills/wip8.jpg

OK pabbloz, I added some the smoke, some more details, a slightly more transparent glass, all rendered with depth of field special rendering...what else to get your vote, a bubble bath and scratch your back ?:D
(just kidding, all your feedback is very valuable and GREATLY appreciated)

I need to tweak that smoke a little bit (right now it screams 'sprite') and the depth of field is way too strong on the lower image. I am not sure what the requirements are for the final submission, but I thought of using the top image with a couple of 'snapshots' on the side, showing details...

Any last minute changes/suggestions ?

-marc

pabbloz
03-06-2002, 04:44 PM
hey Marc!! Really good so black smoke!! great idea!
mm.. It was interesting a bubble bath.... :D ok ok! you got my vote! :)

I prefer the first render! with also ruins! Amazing!!
I think you should post to the final pic the first render.
Sugggestion: rotate the "e" of MacDonald's welcome, as it was broken, you know.

Totitch
03-06-2002, 05:17 PM
Oh yes!!!!

It's a really nice vehicle!
And what a scene!!! Nice stuff!

just add clouds in the sky and it will be perfect!
And maybe sand projection behind the big wheel!!!

I prefer the first render too!
5 stars!!!!!! ;) :D :D :D :D

KOryH
03-06-2002, 09:16 PM
MMMMM Pretty.
I like it.

Marc Andreoli
03-07-2002, 12:26 AM
oh-my-gawd, this is like, so cool (southern californian beach babe accent):D
Third page and 5 stars !!!!

I'd like to thank my producer, my family...ehm...wait...I just woke up :p

totitch: let me see what I can do about those clouds...

pabbloz: What was I thinking ? Let me put that 'e' in its right position. You have got an eye for detail, don't you ? As we say in French, this is going to be: 'la cerise sur le gateau' (equivalent to: the icing on the cake) ;)

KOryH: thanks ! :)

-marc

Marc Andreoli
03-07-2002, 10:51 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~andreoli73/stills/wip9.jpg

Gentlemen, it has been a pleasure...:cool:

So this is it, my final entry. The rendering is all done in max, no Photoshop 'tweaking'. Ok, VRay's GI and depth of field were doing the real work here, I have to admit it ;)

Thanks for all the feedback. Are you ready for round 3 ?

pabbloz
03-07-2002, 12:38 PM
yeah!! That's already perfect!!
I can't see more details!! It's completed!

Great work mark!
Really cool contributition.

now.. Good Luck!

TwoFlower
03-07-2002, 01:30 PM
Good texturing and scene compositing.. :)

IMO, it look like a toy in sand. not like a human-sized vehicule.
more weigth on the rear wheel maybe.. put them half under the sand.

and some dirt on the background... the MacDonald sign is cleaner than some sign i saw in the street. :)

maybe, you can modify this - perhaps in photoshop :)

Marc Andreoli
03-08-2002, 01:30 AM
well, I say: don't make it perfect or everybody will hate you :D

You are right about the scale thing. I am not quite sure what the reason is for that, probably the way I treated the 'worn edges' and scratches (both too big) of the surface. Maybe the depth of field effect is too strong, is resembles a close up photography...

what do the 'pros' out there think ? Any comments on that subject (or other)?

-marc

P.S:real men don't tweak their images in Photoshop :p :D

eirenicon
03-08-2002, 05:07 AM
I think the scale problem is a result of both the camera angle and the DOF. The angle is looking down at it, which often has the effect of making things look like toys. If you pull the camera down a bit, it'll give the truck more volume.

The DOF is also a bit much, implying a very close-up picture, when in reality the only thing that should be blurred in a shot like this is the horizon.

Looks awesome, though, and great work on the texturing :cool:

psumo
03-08-2002, 08:28 AM
yes it does look like a toy
but wow what a sweet looking toy set

Bytehawk
03-08-2002, 04:44 PM
nice one !

although the DOF is a little extreme, that's only a detail. Focus was on modeling.

Great textures as I said before.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.