PDA

View Full Version : Critique on 40 sec. Lip Sync

Ilsoap
09-27-2004, 05:40 AM
Hey, I have this lip sync I'm doing. The audio clip is taken from the first episode of "Frasier", and the filesize is about 2.8 Mb. Download it here. (http://www.noelnissen.com/chris/mov/AllConverted.mov)

Basically, I need some critiquery on it. There are a lot of things that need to be improved about it, but tell me anything you like, anything you don't like, and anything you'd change, as specifically as possible. :)

Thanks!

Anim_Changes
09-27-2004, 06:17 AM
I'm not crazy about the camera drift. Can maybe just start wide. Also, keeping his right arm pinned to the table looks a bit obvious. It's almost like he is a muppet or something. I'd at least animate that arm more.
For the wolf character, the minimal movement looks like it works though, in contrast.
my 2 cents,.
peace
-TT

Ilsoap
09-27-2004, 08:07 PM
The idea behind the camera movement was because, as long as I was doing sitcom voices, I might as well try for a Frasier-ish camera movement. I wasn't sure exactly how to attack that one... I'll consider the wide shot for the whole time, though.

As for the arm "pinned" to the table, I hadn't thought of the Muppet reference, but now that you said that it looks totally obvious (blast you!). I'm gonna have to do something with that.

jimcoldt
09-28-2004, 06:19 AM
Aside from the "pinned" arm, consider doing more expressive actions with his left hand. There are times where the hand looks like it's in a cast, particularly at the wrist. Let it 'flop' around some more. He has a very precise and affected way of talking that could be translated into that hand--the fingers...especially the pinky. Resist the urge to move the hands with every word. If they feel 'dead' at some points, use the glass as a prop. This is what they did on Seinfeld--always eating something to give them something to do with their hands.
For example, if I were doing this clip, I'd have him constantly on the verge of taking a sip of the drink--but his own rant keeps him from doing so. Finally when he asks the other character his question, he drinks quickly but leans closer waiting for the response. The other character could be drinking...stirring...etc...during that whole rant. In fact, if he's staring at his drink while stirring, it could appear as though he's absorbing what's being said, making the punchline that much funnier.

just some ideas... you've got a good start with a lot of potential for a great animation.

-jim

Ilsoap
09-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Ooh, stirring. I hadn't considered that, but it makes sense, if you have a cup in front of you with a straw in it and your looking for something for your hands to do, you'll usually fiddle with the straw.

Since posting this, I have done some animation with Niles' right hand (let's call them Niles and Frasier to make it easier). What I would have liked is, instead of just the hand being on the table, the whole arm from the elbow down to be leaning on the table. That's more natural, but unfortunately I haven't figured out how to constrain the arm in such a way that it will do that.

As for the wrist stiffness, I agree, and I have loosened it somewhat, but I've noticed that when I act it myself, my wrists hardly move when I'm doing the actions. Well, they move, but my wrists don't naturally do much follow-through, they generally go, at most, 5 degrees in any direction.

I'll keep all of this in mind, but this is due tomorrow afternoon, so I'll have to prioritize. It already looks better, though, so thanks for the critiques, guys.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.