PDA

View Full Version : imagE.3

Preffered
09-26-2004, 09:19 PM
http://ourworld.cs.com/SltnCraker/I3final.gif

This is my first political-abstract/grunge. I spent quite some time on it, and am quite proud of it. I have always admired this genre of artwork, and am now thus requesting your critiques for the future.

I appreciate all those who submit their help.:)

Uzuiel
09-28-2004, 11:37 PM
what kind of statement are you trying to make with your piece?
that would help in critiques :bounce:

Sp3ctre
09-29-2004, 06:11 AM
I think the white border with the "!" mark seriously detracts from the piece. Also, there isn't much other emphasis besides the person's face, everything else is just washed out. The viewer has to work too hard to make out the objects in the piece

Preffered
09-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Well, the main intent on this piece was to express my feelings for the Iraqi war and America's procedures, it's actions, and how it affects the everyday citizen.

The woman's face is to show the anguish and fear that is portrayed to the innocent in war times. The thinking man, was roughed up, and was displayed with an arrow through his head to show that any intelligence or morale in today's present day is almost non-existent. The only things that matter anymore are material and really not of any substance. The fish stickers were to show the difference in today's society; it isn't "good" versus "bad" anymore, it's a matter of choosing between the lesser of two evils. Hence the darwin sticker eating the darwin sticker, instead of the all popular Christ (catastrophism) eating Darwin (uniformitarianism). Obviously, the American flag, is composed of three key elements, the pentagram, showing the forces of evil within this nation of mine, the machete (or sword) along side the m4, which is an uncooth way of showing how we live by force, and will fall due to force. (A twist on "live by the sword, die by the sword)

Lastly, the Iraq flag with the question mark is intended to portray the feeling of insecurity and paranoia of Iraqi citizens and government. Their whole being is tossed up into the air at the moment, and no one knows where it will land.

I hope this has helped, and thank you for your critique's.:thumbsup:

Sp3ctre
09-29-2004, 06:32 PM
yeah...

I couldn't even see the M4 or the machete.
Basically, all I see is the face, flags, thinker guy and a little of the darwin thing; everything else is just a wash.

also, the woman's face doesn't look full of fear and anquish, just really sunburnt.

Uzuiel
09-29-2004, 07:41 PM
while I don't agree with your statement 100%, I think that it *the piece* needs to be reworked to emphasize what it is you are trying to say.
For instance...the picture of the woman doesn't need to be perfectly square and have sharp corners.
To be quite honest with you, it looks like a 20 minute job in photoshop cutting and pasting, adjusting opacity levels, and saturating a stock google photo of some woman.
but that's my opinion for what its worth...:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.