PDA

View Full Version : Character: Draco Malfoy

Virum
09-26-2004, 07:05 PM
Hey, I'm a Harry Potter fan (bet you didn't know ;) ) so I decided to model a cartoony version of one of the characters, Draco Malfoy. I'm basing him on how he looked in the Prisoner of Azkaban movie (played by Tom Felton).

I'm starting with the head, and since I've run into trouble I'm posting here and all the updates as I make them. Right now I'm looking for modeling critique.

First of all, my modeling skillz are not up to par. This is my third head and a different technique than the other two heads. For this head I started with a cube that was divided into three sections for the depth, height and width.

After doing my modeling, here is where I am:

http://joshuanitschke.saber-x.com/images/CGTalk/Draco/Draco-ModelWIP1.jpg
http://joshuanitschke.saber-x.com/CGTalk/Draco/Draco-ModelWIP1.jpg
I think I have a number of topological problems, mainly around the eyes (I can't get a good profile reference picture which makes this even harder). I'm not sure how to fix it or what I should do. This is already my second attempt; should I start over again?

EDIT: I'm using Silo3D. I downloaded the 17 day trial version and decided to try this to see if I liked it.

Virum
09-28-2004, 06:53 PM
I hate bumping, but I'm going to do it this once because I'd like some advice before I continue trying to make this mess into something nice....

Sp3ctre
09-28-2004, 07:42 PM
it looks like you're trying to make the head the same size as the hair. Try ignoring the hair and focus on getting the head shape down, then work on hair

also, you may need to add geometry to be able to get the shapes you want, like in the eye

Uzuiel
09-29-2004, 12:54 AM
lemme say that i am by no means a character modeler, however, I have modeled some heads in the past.

As for what Sp3ctre said, yes it does look like you're trying to model the head using the hairline as a reference. Remove the hair in your head and go from there.
As for other things I noticed...I would delete the poly's from where the eye is and adjust your vert's to fit the shape of the eye socket. Don't forget the nostril flare on the outside of his nose.. :)
overall its a good start, and you're on your way to making a decent looking head.
I'm sure that once some of the other more experienced character artists look at this, they'll chime in and give some input.

Sp3ctre
09-29-2004, 06:48 AM
another thing i just noticed, was on your bottom lip, you've got an N-gon. You're gonna want to make sure you get that split up into quadrangles at the most

JYoung
09-29-2004, 07:41 AM
It looks like you're using the reference photos as blueprints, but the photos aren't from a straight side or front shot, so things are going to be janky.

Also, the polys don't really seem to be flowing with the structure of the face.

Virum
09-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all the awesome tips. School's bombarding me with homework, so it might take me little bit of time to update the model. Just letting you know I'm not one of those post-once-forget-about-it WIP people

Thanks!

Par Tickle
09-29-2004, 05:02 PM
The chin (in the bottom right perspective pic) looks as though it may be concave. I agree about dividing the lower lip into Quads. After that is done you should be able to reshape the chin as well as give the lower lip some fullness IMHO.

Virum
09-29-2004, 11:17 PM
Ok. One of the reasons I haven't done the lip yet, is because I'm not sure how I should model it so that I can use blendshapes for speaking. Tips on that would be greatly appreciated.

Sp3ctre
09-30-2004, 04:46 AM
I honestly don't know anything about Silo3D or blendshapes, but having a polygon with more than 4 sides can potentially cause more problems that it's worth, especially with textures.

Virum
10-03-2004, 07:27 AM
Well, I tried the suggestions and I decided to start anew with a technique I feel more comfortable with. Tell me if this progress is looking any better:

http://joshuanitschke.saber-x.com/images/CGTalk/Draco/Draco-ModelWIP2.jpg

Well, there it is. I'm using the method I'ver heard called the Joan of Arc method (based on a tutorial). I REALLY need help with the eye area. My references don't match up at all, and I have no idea how the eyelids are supposed to work, or if I shoudl include them at all. The end result is supposed to be a bit cartoony, so I'm not sure if I need them or not.

Also, I think the topology (so far) is better. What do you guys think? Please point out anything that looks funky. Also, I can provide an obj. file (I think I can output that) if you guys need that.

Cheers.

ErikSvensson
10-03-2004, 02:20 PM
Hey there :)

I've done the Joan Of Arc tutorial several times too, best tutorial around.

Some crits..:

I think you add to much "detail" around the eye before going for the whole shape, dont do so many edges first, make it simple, and clean it up after hand. it will just be hard to work with that many segments on the eye, try to delete some and make mouth, chin etc first, then when you got the big of it, then add all new loops to make wrinkels etc.

Hopes this helps :) Keep us posted

//Erik

hpslashluvr
10-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Hehe, I'm doing HP characters too, maybe when you finish we can team up haha and save ourselves some time. I think that you shouldn't worry too hard about making a likeness of Tom Felton (although I might drool over it if you do ;) ), basically his distinguishing feature is around the nose around where the cheek folds - it makes him look like he's sneering when he isn't.

I wouldn't use those references though. The side one is too skewed and the front view, he is looking slightly down. I can send you some better references if I can find mine hehe.

I don't think there's a set way of modeling and you should feel free to work on certain parts before blocking out the whole thing.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.