PDA

View Full Version : unable to open any scenes

Rabid pitbull
09-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Well I am unable to open even the sample scenes included with xsi foundation. I am trying to open scene files through the open prompt and the project manager. Everytime I get an error about not being able to open the scene. I have deleted my preferences and hoped that would help but still not working. Any ideas?

JDex
09-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Uninstall... reinstall...

I had a similar issue yesterday... come on 4.01

Rabid pitbull
09-26-2004, 02:43 PM
Ok, well glad to know I am not totally confused. starting to wonder what I did wrong here. I did install a addon spinquads and two shaders(never could find them though :rolleyes:), do you know if there are any issues with addons out there now? Will not install anything for a while I think.

thanks again,
James

JDex
09-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Now that 4 is out I generally only install addons, as I need them for a project. I keep a list of each addon that I used in a project in a text file in the project directory. If I need to go back to the project, I will reinstall those addons... then uninstall them when I'm done.

Paranoid I guess. One more thing to think about, but one less thing to worry about.

Since my reinstall yesterday, I have only installed muh's diffusion shader, since I am trying to actually get some good results with it atm.

Atyss
09-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Make sure you have not deleted the dsprojectinfo file from the system folder in the XSI database. Something you could try is to create a new project, copy the scene files you wish to open to that new project, and then try to open the scenes from there.

As far as I know the only things to worry about with add-on shaders are:
- Make sure you do not install them in a XSI 3.5 workgroup
- Make sure if that if you have more than 1 workgroup, that the shader one is the first workgroup listed.

Cheers
Bernard

Rabid pitbull
09-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Well i reinstalled xsi again, and all was well. Then again this problem came back.... This is not too good and certainly reinstalling program everyday is not productive. Any other ideas on how this problem is occuring?

Well I found the cause of this problem for me. I have a application called jvpowertools it is the evolution of the regcleaner program. Basically I was deleteing registry entries which caused this problem. I restored the back up and looked a little closer found some xsi entries. I let them stay and now it is working fine. Strange how xsi installs files that both jvpowertools and norton windoctor think are useless. Just going to have to look closer when running these apps in the future.

BadCRC
10-26-2004, 11:49 AM
I just encountered the same problem. Luckily Rapid Pitbull just became my personal hero! Never would have thought of jv16 causing the problem.

thanks! :thumbsup:

Sil3
10-26-2004, 11:54 AM
I had problems with XSI Foundations at home not even opening, as soon it opens it displayed a message saying that it encountered an error bla bla bla...it was me who messed up with the registry with Windows System Optimizer :rolleyes:

qba3d
10-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Hello!
I also had that problem, and it was done by REGcleaner from symantec.
The simplest solution I found is to put a install CD, and choose REPAIR from menu. There is no need to un / re install ...
But .. if You dont use regcleaner , it should not happen...
Q

Hellbring
10-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Well I dont have any reg cleaning programs on my computer and I have been having issues loading scenes as well from the project manager, they open fine when manual opening. This is not happening with one project but all the projects I have.

ThE_JacO
10-27-2004, 03:54 PM
delete your user directory (after having backed it up) and see if it changes anything.
XSI will create a fresh one at the first startup.

Hellbring
10-27-2004, 05:42 PM
deleteing the user directory then adding the project again doesnt work same issue cant open any scene from the manager, guess its time for a reinstall. :(

Atyss
10-27-2004, 06:28 PM
delete your user directory (after having backed it up) and see if it changes anything.
XSI will create a fresh one at the first startup.
Just remember that before doing this, if you are part of workgroup, unset the workgroup. Otherwise you'll run into unbearable headaches if the workgroup shaders change location.

That said, was *exactly* is the error you are getting when trying to open a scene?

jcorkery
02-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Well I found the cause of this problem for me. I have a application called jvpowertools it is the evolution of the regcleaner program. Basically I was deleteing registry entries which caused this problem. I restored the back up and looked a little closer found some xsi entries. I let them stay and now it is working fine. Strange how xsi installs files that both jvpowertools and norton windoctor think are useless. Just going to have to look closer when running these apps in the future.

THANK YOU!! You rescued me from the brink of insanity! I had reinstalled XSI just a couple of weeks ago because I couldn't access my scenes and today I had the same problem. After reading your post, I restored my most recent Registry Mechanic backup and everything's fine again.

Rabid pitbull
02-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Wierd how xsi works in the registry, because about all registry apps feel it is unneeded. Oh well,glad to help. Be sure to make your reg app ignore those keys in future.

good luck

bravmm
02-16-2005, 03:12 PM
As usual is safe to say: "don't fiddle with the registry"
Even stuff in there that seems to have no function at all can wreak havok when deleted. I had my share of windows reinstalls after deleting something too much ;)

And I don't trust automated apps that will clean the registry for me. Doing it manually is still the safest bet, and if you're not sure....don't delete it!

XSI is like any other Windows app, there's the chicken and the egg system about the app and the registry. Unless programmers start to think differently about programming and move everything back to the one folder, not scatter the app all over the HD, we will have to live with this. The way Apple adresses this isn't that bad at all. No OS insult intended ;)

cheers,

rob

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.